Chazzmos' Death Guard - House Makabius Knights

Chazzmos

I think the main thing may be that the head is too high. If the neck was shorter I think that would make the proportions look better.

I think you're right, but I'm going to live and learn on this one and check heights a bit more before starting.  I should have definitely dropped it lower!

You could always make something akin to scrake mask from killing floor 2. It covers nose partly and mouth fully.

https://wiki.killingfloor2.com/images/f/f3/KF2_Specimen_VS_Scrake.jpg

Ooh, that would be good for a surgeon.  I am pretty committed to keeping him bare headed though, I like the contrast to my other three helmeted HQ units that I've made.

So, I wanted to fatten him up a bit, so here's the result:

1PKovGw.jpg

MFEDEle.jpg

He now reminds me of the heavy from TF2:

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/thumb/f/f6/Hunter_Heavy.png/250px-Hunter_Heavy.png?t=20141210021647

From some angles the head height looks okay, from others, not so much.  It's also a bit too far forward I think.

The person he really reminds me of is my first manager in a professional setting.  A humongous 6'7" South African who weighed about 150kg.  His head sat pretty high, just like my surgeon and he was of similar proportions :D  I might have to name him after him...

I've also had a go at knocking up a Tallyman:

0LB2MRP.jpg

p2WDBP9.jpg

Cranked a bit of work today on a new DP for my army, wanted to go with a plague spewer as well.  I need to get some bigger wings though!

Any tips on positioning would be great on this one, I'll take my time and take feedback :D

GMCQy7t.jpg

With silly little wings:

53kIg5O.jpg

I've almost finished my mate's Tau army, just some matt varnish and little bits and pieces to go:

MXcufBv.jpg

L9I7tfs.jpg

Z8kGQ2X.jpg

mDB6T9u.jpg

Once I'd finished them I realised I really needed to push the contrast with the airbrush highlights a lot more than I did. It looked really light when I was spraying, but by the time it dried and I oil washed them, it just blended back to not much! Living and learning :biggrin.:

I've also got my zenithal prime done on my Death Guard HQ:

qzo0uEU.jpg

4e2OEt6.jpg

g9BFSJS.jpg

c1tcnjr.jpg

Really amazing conversion work you got going on.

Thanks dude, I appreciate the encouragement!

Having almost finished my friend's Tau army, another friend needs some assistance with his Hive Fleet Cerberus Tyranid army, so we painted up some tester models together:

nCHJGrx.jpg

I'm also working on some test models for my Primaris Space Wolf force.

I'm really inspired by the finish and colours from some other excellent painters on this site, including:

LutherMax's Raptors (https://www.themightybrush.com/tutorial/how-to-paint-raptors-space-marines/) and hope to replicate some of his effect and style on them.

Grieux's Space Wolves - http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/349558-a-skjald´s-tale-of-the-days-of-darkness/

FearPeteySodes Space Wolves - http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/322036-the-storm-stalkers-fpss-wip-blog/?p=4501788

For first try, I had a go with:

Vallejo Dark Sea Blue

Vallejo French Mirage Blue

Vallejo Pale grey blue

Gloss varnish

Made a Lester Bursley Wash using Gloss Medium instead of matt and brown/black mix and thinned it out

Second go I used a more neutral grey:

MiPuz7r.jpg

WjBvg7F.jpg

Adeptus Battlegrey (base)

German Grey (shade)

Pale Grey Blue (highlight)

Pale Grey Blue/White (highlight)

Base colours

Gloss varnish

Gloss wash 2 drops, 3 water flow improver, 1 drop retarder

(NOTE - this wasn't quite strong enough, I needed to go back with neat wash and edge the shoulder pads. Maybe because of the overspray though?)

Photos are hard with these guys, I need a better setup I think, but I'm keen to hear input. If anyone has advice on how to airbrush lines as neatly as LutherMax I'd love to hear.

Wow, this is an awesome army. That Mortarion looks ridiculously good in particular. Also, those Tyranids make me smile- not just because they're very nicely painted but I remember that scheme from the 3rd edition Tyranid codex!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! I've put a lot of hours in over the last few years.

So I'm making this new Primaris Space Wolf army and I'd love some thoughts and feedback on the style and motif.

I'm going for a primarily viking feel with a bit of wolf, but no wolves running around.  I'm also moving towards bare heads or modified helmets on all of them to make them a bit more unique.

List:

HQ's

• Bjorn converted into a Redemptor chassis
  • Primaris Wolf Lord/Rune Priest/Wolf Guard Battle Leader/Wolf Priest
  • Rune Priest in Phobos

Troops

• 3 x 5 Intercessors
  • 3 x 5 Infiltrators

Elites

• 2 x 5 Wulfen

Heavy Support

• 2 x 5 Hellblasters
  • 1 x 3 Eliminators
  • 2 x 3 Aggressors
  • 1 x Repulsor

Here are the bits I'm thinking of using, if anyone can direct or redirect me to others that would be great!

Viking theme stuff

Heads

This is where I'm hoping to really expand.  I'm working with:

norsemen_heads_new_01.jpg

771-2798.jpg.jpg

531-1929.jpg.jpg

s-l300.jpg

99560101614_SWDeathswornPack05.jpg

So in my head I'm seeing:

• MKIII shoulder pads
  • Bare heads on most models
  • Mohawk heads on Hellblasters as plasma jockeys
  • Some units with alternative helmets (e.g. Deathsworn Helmets on Aggressors)
  • Axes and maybe spears being held
  • Runes/teeth hanging around
  • Some pelts

What are your thoughts or suggestions?

Haha, I'm not sure!  I'm definitely more going for 'rule of cool' in the looks rather than fitting with the lore.  There is some background about Wolves preferring not to wear helmets as it dulls their senses though...  Smoking would definitely dull your senses too!

Haha, I'm not sure!  I'm definitely more going for 'rule of cool' in the looks rather than fitting with the lore.  There is some background about Wolves preferring not to wear helmets as it dulls their senses though...  Smoking would definitely dull your senses too!

So does drinking :censored:-tons of mead, and yet Space Wolves do that all the time :laugh.:

In regards to the list: It looks pretty good. I like the choice of heads. That'll add a nice amount of character to your Wolves.

Edited by Gederas

• 2 weeks later...

So I cracked back into my Death Guard HQ additions.  Not much left to do on these now.  Some Blood For The Blood God, Nurgle's Rot, and some eyes.  I think I missed the bone on the lord's combi-bolter as well!  Oh, and some tallies on the tallyman's board :biggrin.:

MMSjBBB.jpg

WeWa33M.jpg

jp1m7bM.jpg

1ixwswU.jpg

t9agJrs.jpg

Edited by Chazzmos

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally put together and primed my knight contingent for my Death Guard, can't wait to get these guys on the table:

EuQP887.jpg

And started another ten Poxwalkers so I can field two units of twenty. I particularly like the front and centre guy.

rUWh2lL.jpg

I airbrushed a crimson red (Khorne Red I think) over a black undercoat across the plates at an angle to try and hit the edges mostly and get a gradient, then I washed with a home mixed Lester Bursley Heavy Body Black (Nuln Oil would work fine).

If you wanted an easy replication, just black undercoat, drybrush white lightly, drybrush red heavily (two passes), then wash Nuln Oil thickly in the crevesses.

• 3 weeks later...

Continued work on my knights:

XAI6OiH.jpg

Pretty excited to try out the Contrast paints they released at Warhammer Fest.

I'm already thinking about how to get better results with it though. I'm thinking:

1. Zenithal prime (black>grey>white)

2. Gloss or satin varnish (to make the paint flow well)

3. Metallics

4. Contrast paints

5. Basing

6. Pigments

7. Matt varnish

I think it would look pretty good and be something I could absolutely smash an army out with.

Yay! Hopefully we'll see rules but I highly doubt it. Even some fluff will suffice but I have a feeling the codex will center around individuals or god-specific Knights rather than Traitor Houses.