Khorne with no zerkers?

Lord Kallozar

I think butcher’s nails are the main thing that separates your standard Khornate devotee from berserkers. Since their usage is a relative rarity, most followers are probably “normal” heretic Astartes. Edited by Juggernut

Sure, they don't have to be zerkers but you need to ask what role you want for your marines. If they are for sitting on objectives and shooting i guess that would work but not so much in theme...

If you are planning on sending the basic marines into combat then zerkers will always outshine anything else.

Is there a specific reason you don't want to use beserkers?

Edited by Vantraxx

I like Khorne alot but cannot stand World Eaters. Read Daemon World by Ben Counter. It is basically a Chaos feral world of Slaanesh cultists vs undivided barbarians (that end up allying Khorne) with some small space marine forces mixed in.

Haha... the fluff I made up for my Renegades is similiar to that.  My warband is an uneasy alliance made up of two insurrections of slaanesh and khorne cultists that somehow corrupted the invading astartes chapter sent suppress the insurrection.  The end result is a cultist horde supported by khorne berserkers, slaanesh characters/oblits, possessed marines.  

I like Khorne alot but cannot stand World Eaters. Read Daemon World by Ben Counter. It is basically a Chaos feral world of Slaanesh cultists vs undivided barbarians (that end up allying Khorne) with some small space marine forces mixed in.

Fair enough, but not all berserkers are World Eaters. Those are just the guys around from the HH.

There are a ton of non WE berserkers running around. The reason I belabor the point, is that berserkers are insanely better at close combat. They get more than twice the attacks at a higher strength and with better AP for nearly the same cost. Thats not to say you can't run CSM, but they're built for something completely different.

I'd recommend just having your berserkers be from a different Legion. 

@CrystalSeer: nope, Black Legion fleshsmiths have perfected the Nails to almost identical standards as those of the World Eaters. Current CSM Codex. :whistling:

Running a Khornate army with Zerkers is perfectly fluffy and has solid material referenced in the canon, so you'll be fine Lord Kallozar. :biggrin.:

BCC

Uzas from the Night Lords trilogy. By the end he was clearly well under Khorne's thrall and I would go so far as to call him a Berzerker...but he never had the Nails implanted.

I was trying to be surreptitious, sorry.

Yeah there is very little that can't be excused by fluff in 40K these days. By large because more and more has been added. What we also see is that the Butcher's Nails don't directly make the Berzerkers 'super aggro all the time' provided their Butcher's Nails implementation isn't that old... So again, tons of options on how you want to justify them.

As has been said, not all Khorne Chaos Space Marines are Berzerkers. At certain points in lore it has been said that all World Eater Chaos Space Marines are Berzerkers but even that isn't completely the case with some of the more recent lore... So again really make of it what you will.

In the end I think the Butcher's Nails are best described as a tool that allows you to 'easily' follow the path of Khorne the way he wants it. As has been described it removes emotions basically and empowers the fighter up untill his last breath. With the lore we have on how Khorne 'ideally' wants his fighters to fight the Butcher's Nails are just ideal for him. As has also been said many times however it has massive downsides for the bearer also but in essence is akin to being 'Possessed' and it's really up to any player to decide how much of a bunch of fanatics your army is.

Cheers,