Fraters Throw Down!

Diagramdude

So in another thread KeeblerArtillery and I found out we live in the same area. Long story short we are now at our FLGS about to pit 2000 points against each other! We will be posting alternately turn by turn. First up is my list: 

2000 Pts “Cadian Angels“ 13 CP

Blood Angels Supreme Command Detachment – 446 points:

HQ:

[145] Mephiston

[172] Librarian Dreadnought (Stormbolter)

[129] Captain Slam-lite (TH/SS, JP)

Cadian Brigade – 1554 points:   

HQ:

[30] Company Commander

[259] Knight Commander Pask (Battle Cannon, Lascannon, Multimeltas)

[45] Tempestor Prime (Power Sword, Hot Shot Laspistol)                                                    

Troops:

[67]x6 Infantry Squad (Lascannon, Plasma Gun)

Elites:

[44] Command Squad (Regimental Standard, 3x Grenade Launcher)

[104] Militarum Tempestus Command Squad (4x Meltaguns)

[20] Platoon Commander

Fast Attack:

[55]x2 Scout Sentinel (Lascannon)

[60] Armored Sentinel (Lascannon)

Heavy Support:

[108] Basilisk

[180] Leman Russ Battle Tank (Battle Cannon, Lascannon, Heavy Bolters)

[192] Leman Russ Executioner (Executioner Cannon, Lascannon, Plasma Cannons)

I decided to bring mostly guard so that we would avoid a Blood Angels Mirror, but I still have the juicy bits with a BA Supreme Command. I haven't decided the relics and psychic powers yet, but will probably use the miner strat with the Veritas Vitae on either Slam-lite or the dread. The guard list has 12 lascannons.

So this is my first game in over 2 years...and obviously first in 8th.  So I've been lurking the threads and came up with this to bring to the table:

HQ
Captain w/ JP (Angel's Wings), Thunderhammer, SS
Chaplain w/ JP
Captain

Troops
Intercessors x 5, bolt rifle, chainsword

Heavy Support
Hellblaster x 10

Flyers
Fire Raptor

Vanguard Detachment - 1 CP

HQ
Sanguinary Priest w/ JP

Elites
Deredeo w/ Anvilus, Atomantic
Sanguinary Guard x 6
Death Company x 10, JP, PF

I realize now that I'm seriously lacking in AT against this guard list...and maybe bodies.  We'll see how hellblasters hold up.  Anyways, looking forward to learning the new ropes against a fellow frater!

We decided to try a Maelstrom mission out of Chapter approved and rolled a 1 for "Kill Confirmed." Basically each player generates up to 3 tactical objectives at the start of their turn, but tactical objectives that are achieved when an enemy unit is destroyed can only be discarded when achieved. Also, in addition to Slay the Warlord, Linebreaker, and First Blood, there is "No Quarter Given" where each player scores 1 VP for each enemy unit destroyed. 

This mission should give some advantage to Keebler because I have 21 units, most of them squishy!

Here is deployment from the Guard's perspective. I am castled up in the left corner of my Dawn of War deployment zone. Keebler has most of his forces in the center of his deployment zone with the Fire Raptor at the far opposite corner of the board. He just won first turn and Forlorn Furied his Death Company up into my face, lets see how it goes!

gallery_103760_14229_970914.jpg

Well holy mother of the Emperor...Blood Angels can PUNCH.  So quick recap - I forlorn fury'd my DC up the right flank, putting them in charge range of his libby dread.  I moved my fire raptor, deredeo, and hellblasters to secure line of sight up the middle.  My intercessors camped objectives/bubble wrapped (hopefully) my fire raptor.  

Next I deep struck my chaplain next to my DC (to get buffed) and my sang guard + cap'n smash and sang priest on the left flank.  I got first blood by popping a sentinel with my hellblasters, who plinked some guardsmen as well.  My deredeo put some wounds on his demolisher.  My fire raptor underwhelmed by clearing some chaff guardsmen and putting another 2 wounds on the demolisher (poor targeting on my part).  

And then the magic happened - my DC and chappy successfully charged his sentinel, platoon commander, a squad and his libby dread.  And then unleashed the rage of Sanguinius - completely annihilating his dread, platoon commander, that squad and injuring the sentinel.  I lost five in the process but managed to consolidate into pask, another heavy weapons squad and the sentinel.  

I managed to get first blood, as well as completing all 3 of my objectives - for a total of 5 VP.  I think I left myself open to some backfield shenanigans though and a captain smash charge to my fire raptor...

Edited by keeblerartillery

Turn 1 for the Guard:

Well, the castle is definitely breached. Pask starts my turn tied up by two of the five remaining DC and the Sanguinary Guard are breathing down my left flank. I decided I need to clean up my immediate vicinity before chipping away at his gun-line Hellblasters and Deredeo. Captain Smash will have to deal with the Fire Raptor on his own...

I fell back with my infantry squad to open up the Sanguinary Guard to counter-fire, and Mephiston moved over to hopefully free up Pask by smiting and Bloodboiling the DC to death.

Mephiston caused 3 mortal wounds with Blood Boil, none saved, and finished off the DC with a 3 wound smite, freeing up Pask to shoot in the shooting phase. After all of the dust settled, the Guard eliminated the Sanguinary Guard and six of the ten Hellblasters. 

Captain Smash charged the Fire Raptor and got 2 extra attacks from Red Rampage, he hit and wounded with all 7 with help from some CP rerolls. Keebler made two of seven 6+ saves to leave the Fire Raptor with 1 wound...

The Guard can take a punch and still hit back!

I still have to deal with his Capt. Smash before he gets to my big guns, and his Deredeo and 4 remaining Hellblasters are still a threat. He also has 3x5 intercessors that I can't underestimate...

Well this has been a bloody game.  I felt like I didn't have any units left after his turn, but somehow still managed to do some damage.  My severely wounded fire raptor swept around the front and just cleaned house on his guardsmen (which I should have done turn 1...), one squad of intercessors cleared out the scions, except for the leader, while the other intercessors and the hellblasters cooked his captain smash to ash.

My deredeo showed its resilience and took out his demolisher.  I hunkered around obj 2 (one of my cards) with the remaining intercessors.  

Captain smash and his forgotten priest buddy then swept up the left flank and wiped out another unit of guardsmen.  Meph and Pask are in my sight...but that means I'm in theirs as well.  In all, secured other objective, putting me up to 6 VPs.  Here's hoping he doesn't table me.

Turn two for the Guard.

My infantry screens are practically non-existant now but Pask, a Russ, and the Basilisk are still fully operational with no melee threats in sight. Mephiston moved right into the enemy Capt. Smash face and eliminated him in the Psychic phase with a 3 wound Blood Boil and a 3 wound super-smite (rolled 11 on the test). 

Between all my shooting I finished off the Fire Raptor's last wound, killed the Sanguinary Priest that was accompanying Capt. Smash and killed 4 out of 5 Intercessors from one of his squads. 

Hilariously my Tempestor Prime with the Blade of Conquest relic charged his Hellblasters but only managed to kill one. 

His Deredeo is still fully functional with 10 wounds left but I really need to figure out how to table him... I am losing badly on VP's and at the end of the game he will get a VP for each of my destroyed units... I think tabling is the only way I can win.

Well, operation turtle continues.  I managed to snipe most of the units that still had line of sight to my deredeo/hellblasters.  My intercessors are continuing operation camp objective, which earned me two more VPs this turn.  I also shot 3 units off the board, which netted me another two.  My buffcaptain charged and killed his tempestor prime in the backfield.  I'm terrified of Meph and the battle tanks, who are moving into line of sight of my remaining firebase.  As it stands, I scored two more VP - so now I just need to survive until the game ends and keep him from getting any more points.  I'm left with 3 hellblasters, a captain, my deredeo, 2x5 intercessors and a lone intercessors, convinced he isn't going to die.

Turn 3 for the Guard and feels like mop-up duty but with a very very hard deadline. I think victory by VP is mathematically impossible at this point and LOS blocking is really hampering things.

I finished off the lone intercessor with my grenade veterans and dropped another intercessor squad down to one man with Mephiston. My big tanks took the Deredeo down to 3 wounds. 

My army is much stronger but anything out of LOS I cant shoot at. Mephiston is my last melee threat.

Victory for the Guard in the end, there was nowhere on the board for the last couple models to hide from the Basilisk. If Keebler had finished with just one model alive though, it would have been his game on VPs. 

Forlorn Fury on DC when you know you have first turn is incredible, and I think if the Sanguinary Guard had successfully tri-locked the guard infantry they charged they could have done much more damage the next turn, but it wasn't a sure thing because of my potential morale losses.

Overall it was a blast to play against a fellow frater! Thanks Keebler for the game. 

Edited by Diagramdude

So I have a couple of takeaways from the game -

For my first game in 8th, I of course fell victim to myself...TWO first turn charges?! Yas! Bad idea unsupported. Which leads me to...

The fire raptor was great...as an anti-infantry platform. Not antitank. Could also be solid anti light vehicle, but not anti leman russ. i didn't target well, which is on me, but it absolutely ripped his guardsmen to shreds. All in all, it absorbed a LOT of firepower and put out a lot of dakka. Solid, if costly, unit.

As for the deredeo, he was an absolute beast, but I used him and the hellblasters he supported too passively. A firebase of 10x hells, the deredeo with the pavise giving the whole group a 5+ invuln and a buffcaptain was a great firebase. But i didn't move them to really take advantage of the rapid fire plas. I assumed he would come to me, since i had them camping objectives...but that simply wasn't the case. If i had pushed them mid field, i think I really could've laid down some dakka. I might've lost them faster as well...but as my primary AT, they simply weren't in the fight enough.

I'm thinking about replacing my sang guard with something like inceptors. I love the models, but they simply didn't do much...which also was on me, so maybe I'll give them a go.

Really enjoyed the game though and blood angels are certainly fun to play!

Keebler, next time shoot the bolt cannon at the Basilisk! Basilisk is only T6 10W so the bolt cannon can really shine against it. I think the key when allocating scarce anti tank resources against guard is remember you don't have to destroy the tank just degrade it down until it's hitting on 5s and 6s and effectively useless.