First Game With New Codex

Just what it says on the tin. Played against Alaitoc Eldar.

2000pts, Spearhead deployment, Mission was Deadlock (Maelstrom)

My list was follows(Battalion and Vanguard):

HQ

Ahriman on foot, DP on foot(Dark Crystal/Talons), DP with wings (Helm/Talons),

Terminator Sorcerer

Elite

3x5 Scarab Occult (3 Missiles, 2 Soulreaper, 1 Heavy Warpflamer)

Troops

27 Tzaangors (Blades)

10 Tzaangors (Blades)

20 Rubricae w/2 Soulreapers

Opponent was rocking a Bike Farseer, 2 Bike Warlocks, 3 Crimson Hunters, 3x6 Rangers, 2x5 Reapers, 3 D-Cannons, and I think 6x3 Jetbikes.

I went first, flipped Power of the Cabal on first turn and cast 10 powers for 5 VP. Also got First Blood.

We beat the stuffing out of each other while I launched goats into his backline and Terminators into his face to negate his -1 to be hit. Stayed ahead the whole game except he caught up on Turn 4....but I pulled ahead again on Turn 5...and rolled a 1 to end the game.

I had Ahriman and 7 Rubricae left. No Sorcerer.

Their Sorcerer had blown himself up trying to cast Smite and ended up killing the enemy Farseer in the blast.

Whatever works. :)

My opponent had 3 D-Cannons and 2 damaged Hunters left. Everything else was dead.

The 20 man brick just murdered elves left and right, along with Smite and other damage powers.

Held onto the Crystal until he forgot about it, then used it to drop goats behind his artillery and flush his Reapers out of cover.

Hit myself with Perils 5 times. Rolled more than that, but was able to avoide those with rerolls. Lost 2 unit champions who took 5 or 6 other models with them in total. This sounds bad, but I cast about 45 times in 5 turns, so it was tolerable. I lost the unit champs in situations where I really needed to pile on extra mortals, so it was worth the risk, just didn't pan out in those cases...except when I took that Farseer down in the blast. I pulled that off and got a few successful Smites from them so it was OK.

Temporal Manipulation and Gaze of Fate were vital for healing or Avoiding Perils wounds. Would have been much worse without them. Always take them. Seriously.

Still like using Ahriman on foot. Worked out great sitting in that 20 man blob handing out buffs.

All in all, I think our new army works well.

Edited by GreaterChickenofTzeentch

Sounds like a good win, it's definitely worth going for the Helm as an extra as you'll earn Command Points back with it. The Crystal also seems like a solid choice for re-positioning at the right time as you've shown here, I'd be interested in hearing more about how your Daemon Princes did?

Sounds like a good win, it's definitely worth going for the Helm as an extra as you'll earn Command Points back with it. The Crystal also seems like a solid choice for re-positioning at the right time as you've shown here, I'd be interested in hearing more about how your Daemon Princes did?

1. Helm struck out. Not a single Command point back. Just bad luck.

2. Both Princes did fine. Winged one ate some Rangers and a couple of bikes and then took 10 wounds off a Crimson Hunter. Foot prince was spamming Gaze and Weaver and killed a few more bikes before dying to concentrated fire.

I feel like he had a fairly competitive list, so I'm glad you were able to win. That sucks you periled so many times. But that is dice for you

Yeah. No big deal. Figured I might take some hits.

The key to winning was to get inside 12 in and blast away.

I also dominated the Psychic Phase and Ahriman shut down his Farseer on a few occasions.

Another thing that REALLY helped was the fact that every model in my army had at least a 5++ and was either fast or had other extra defenses. There was nowhere "weak" to exploit.

Edited by GreaterChickenofTzeentch

I also dominated the Psychic Phase and Ahriman shut down his Farseer on a few occasions.

I think that is a big part of this army. We really dominate the psychic. My first game of the new codex I faced off against Mephiston and a Librarian dreadnought that went straight for Ahirman and I was generally able to shut them out of the psychic phase.

I havent played a dedicated anti psyker units though.