Task Force Umbra - a Raven Guard 5th company WIP

golfdeltafoxtrot

• 2 weeks later...

The weather still mostly sucks so I haven’t been able to spray anything recently, which means the Assault Squad and Apothecary are still baseless and unfinished.

I have however been working on a couple of other things.

I started on my Whirlwind last night, getting the ‘edge highlights’ down on the black with my standard drybrush-then-wash, alongside the basecoat of Leadbelcher for the metallics. I’m looking forward to having a tank painted, I’ve never done anything bigger than my Dreadnought before.

gallery_103206_14222_7241.jpg

I’ve also done some work on some non-RG Astartes, namely a mild kitbash of the ETB Intercessors that came with issue 1 of Conquest. A Sergeant headswap and some judicious use of decorative bits and I’m happy with how they look. They’re going to be Red Hunters to accompany my Ordo Militum Inquisitor (who I’ll get back to eventually) and may form the basis of a Primaris-only Red Hunters Kill Team at some point.

gallery_103206_14712_18536.jpg

I also engaged in a little heresy and assembled a box of Harlequins to form yet another Kill Team. I’ve already scheduled my penance for turning away from the Emperor’s light.

I only got issue 1 because it was such an incredible bargain, not really interested in most of the rest of the stuff (not a fan of DG and the ETB stuff isn't easily convertible enough) though I'm sort of sad I missed the exclusive UM lieutenant. I'll be keeping an eye out for anything else good that appears though.

Painting completions!

First up are the Apothecary and Assault Squad which has been done but unbased for a while. The weather was good enough to get the bases sprayed and then get the models Dullcoted so they got finished fairly quickly.

gallery_103206_14222_4753.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_9422.jpg

And I’ve also finished my Whirlwind. I bought the Kromlech turret to go on a Rhino body I’d had for many years, and I’m really happy with it. The whole model was really easy to paint and I’m very pleased with the paint job. I think my edge highlighting and lenses continue to improve with every model.

gallery_103206_14222_19899.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_16041.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_16259.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_16818.jpg

And to get the most value possible out of the model, I’ve made it semi-modular. I left the top plate and the turret unglued so that I can use the body and top plate for other tanks in the future. The Kromlech turret fits the turret ring really well and was very easy to assemble so I might well buy a few different turrets to work with.

gallery_103206_14222_2201.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_9158.jpg

As always comments and criticism are welcome.

It is edge highlighted, but it doesn't come out well my cruddy photos. It stands out best on the front on photo, you can see it around the front of the track housings but it really doesn't look like much on the photos.

I used the same method as my normal power armour - drybrush the edges with Dawnstone then knock it back with Nuln Oil. I thought about doing a proper edge highlight but I'm very lazy and doing the edging on the storm bolter housing and all the metallics was tedious enough.

Ugh phone played up and killed my post...

I couldn't see the highlighting on my phone I guess?

I do thing the paint app "clean black" (dark reaper + fenrisian grey) would give it some nice contrast and pop. Or at least a modified one of it. You wouldn't have to do all the small detail just the main plate edges

I'm going to use that scheme for my Harlequins eventually, but I don't want my RG to be too bright. A low level edge highlight is plenty for my stealth Marines, and it really does look better IRL (though everyone says that when their paintjob looks dodgy on camera!).

Looks good! I think what's killing your highlighting is the nuln oil. Have you thought about not using it, or after the oil dries hit it with another light dry brush in a few spots to bring it back up?

And I feel your pain on tedious highlighting. My Spectral Sicarii have two layers of highlights and a recess wash/glaze. Takes forever...

The Nuln Oil is there to tidy things up really, drybrushing (at least the way I do it) isn't precise enough to give me the highlights I want without a bit of spray and a bit of chalky greyness. Knocking the Dawnstone back with the shade keeps the highlight but takes away any chalkiness that might develop on the flatter areas. It's not such a big deal on sharper edges but on things like Astartes helmets or legs it can look really crappy without the shade.

I could go back after the wash to brighten stuff up on the sharper corners I suppose. I've put two coats of Dullcote on the tank so I'm probably not going to go back to that but it might be worth a try on the LSS that's staring at me from my to-be-painted queue.

I'm psyching myself up for proper edge highlights and recess shades on my T'au Kill Team, not looking forward to it!

Paintwork complete.

Following the discussion about the Whirlwind’s highlights I’ve tried to make the LSS’s grey highlights stand out a little more, just with a slightly heavier drybrush, which I think has worked.

I’m pretty pleased with the leather of the seats and the green cockpit displays, they stand out nicely against all the black and metal.

Next step will be transfers.

gallery_103206_14222_24085.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_12667.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_32154.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_469.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_15436.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_11134.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_13867.jpg

Comments and criticism are, as ever, most welcome.

Dude it looks soooooooooooooo good! I love the seats and the console. Seeing this makes me want to hurry up and finish my drop pod so I can paint mine up. I'll probably paint it up for my SS though. I think I'm done painting Raven Guard and am going to fully commit to my homebrew chapter.

Thanks Fraters. I've discovered that I quite like painting vehicles, the large surfaces are easy to get done quickly but there's enough exciting details to keep me interested.

Hopefully I'll get the transfers done over the weekend, then I'll have to decide what I'm going to paint next. It very much depends on whether I can get any priming done as to when the Scout squad to ride the LSS will get started.

My Black Friday gift to myself arrived yesterday.

gallery_103206_14222_7754.jpg

Anvil Industry were selling bags of random bits, which supposedly aren’t of saleable quality, on Black Friday. Apparently demand for the limited number of bags crashed their website but I snuck in and grabbed this bag of goodies for £15. I haven’t noticed any quality issues and there are loads of awesome bits in here – Regiments heads, arms, bodies and legs; a few Exo-Lords helmets; a ‘frag cannon’; and two single piece snipers, one of which will probably make it into my Inquisition cadre. Very pleased with this, loads of scope for awesome future projects.

I'm not sure how quickly they sold out but there was a lot of complaining on their Facebook posts about the website crashing then the bags being sold out before people got a chance to get back in.

I think I was just very lucky, got straight in for a bag and one of the new-style Black Ops snipers without any problems.

LSS update - transfers are done, just need to wait for a break in the weather to get the Dullcote down then the LSS will be done!

I've taken a small pause from painting black, and turned my hand to red. I've started getting base colours down on the three ETB Intercessors I posted about a month ago, turning them into Red Hunters. It makes me realise how grateful I am for a black basecoat - making sure all the red is covered on things like weapons, pouches, and skin is a real ballache! I'll post pictures if there's interest.

I don't get while people complain. If a vendor has a promo and it sells out and you missed out oh well? I get that it sucks, and I've been on the short end of the deal many times but isn't that how life works?

Also I feel you on making sure you have coverage. My Spectral Sicarii are a pain to get a good base coat. I prime gray to help but I still need 3 or 4 very thin coats to get it smooth and have good coverage.