Task Force Umbra - a Raven Guard 5th company WIP

golfdeltafoxtrot

The coverage issue has been tedious. Yesterday I tidied up my basecoats, and came across the crappiest coverage I've ever encountered. I'm using Army Painter Dragon Red, as I like that the dropper bottle paint matches the spray, but it took four coats in some places to cover over things like black and dark green. I've used their black and grey before without an issue but the red didn't cover well at all. And that's even after spending a good five minutes shaking the bottle to mix the paint properly.

I'm uncomfortable with the idea of an airbrush, I'm very much a fluffy-tipped stick kind of painter.

Fortunately I discovered yesterday that if you irritate your wife by sitting on the sofa and shaking your Army Painter paints for the best part of half an hour they cover much better.

• 4 months later...

I'm back!

Sort of.

It's that time of year when ETL is on the horizon, so I thought I should check in and see what's what in the Ravenspire, and to get myself psyched up for ETL.

I've not painted any RG since I finished my LSS, but I have been doing some work on my other projects.

I know they're not RG (though they might be RG successors for all anyone knows!), but forgive my indulgence as I introduce the start of Squad 1, 2nd Company, Red Hunters - First Among Equals.

gallery_103206_14712_26570.jpg

gallery_103206_14712_11669.jpg

gallery_103206_14712_6956.jpg

gallery_103206_14712_7011.jpg

Since November I've also finished a Harlequin troupe and a squad of Chaos cultists, and I'm part way through a small squad of Word Bearers, but good Emperor-fearing folk like yourselves don't want to see those!

I've got a few things lined up for ETL, including a Devastator Squad, a Reiver Squad, an Aggressor Squad, and a certain Scout Squad.

Liking the Red :) is that an old fashion Auspex I see in a Primaris hand or something else I’ve missed? I’m think of a Primaris Kill Team and think it would look great with one of the Infiltrators I’m going to use when the have a box set.

• 3 weeks later...

So now that ETL has been officially announced I should probably start making some proper plans.

I've primed some stuff that I'm going to vow, namely 10 Reivers, 3 Aggressors, 5 Devastators, 5 magnetised Scouts (which I think will be my first vow so that I can finally complete my converted LSS) and the 500th Store Lieutenant. That should see me through a good chunk of the time, but I've got a hankering for new models too!

Current considerations are a Primaris Chaplain, with a bit of conversion work inspired by the kitbash article in this month's WD, or an Ironclad Dreadnought which is a model I've had my eye on for some time.

Edited by golfdeltafoxtrot

• 4 weeks later...

ETL progress update.

The first hurdle was trying to remember which colours I'd used - had to dig some of my sniper Scouts for comparison.

The second hurdle was the fact that the magnet joint doesn't prevent rotation enough to be able to paint the models assembled, so each part is being painted separately which is more challenging than I'd like.

That being said, it's going OK. The black/grey/metal base colours are down and shaded, moving onto the leather at the moment.

gallery_103206_14222_122.jpg

You say painting each part separately is challenging, lol. That's how I have to paint because of my big hands.

Also for color schemed check out an app called paint rack. I've been using it for a couple years and really like it. You can sure scheme and color sets in it along with notes. It also backs up to your Google drive account if you have one.

Found an app called Paint Pot last night, which I then spent half an hour or so populating with all the paint recipes I've used for my Raven Guard, Red Hunters, and Harlequins. Hopefully it'll make my life easier when it comes to going back to colour schemes.

Didn't get much actual painting done last night though, as my wife and I have just started watching Line of Duty, which is pretty gripping. Some more Mournfang Brown went down on another set of legs, but that's about it.

Update time, and my Scouts are pretty much painted.

gallery_103206_14222_12701.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_21143.jpg

Scouts - mount up!

gallery_103206_14222_10992.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_11417.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_12703.jpg

I'm really pleased with how this whole project has turned out. All that's left to do is decals and bases, and my LSS and Scout squad will finally be completed. Hopefully I'll be able to get the decals done before I go on holiday this week, then hopefully bases when I return. Ideally everything will be done within a couple of weeks, ready for a second vow.

Also, it's important to be able to work out who's torso is who's, so...

gallery_103206_14222_396.jpeg

Awesome work! You've manged to achieve what I suspect a lot of us have thought about but never attempted and it turned out very well! :tu: :tu:

Will it be seeing the table top shortly it would be an injustice not to, even with its mediocre rules :ermm:

Thanks Frater, I appreciate that.

It’ll hit the table at some point, but given that I’ve been back in the hobby for 18 months and I’ve played exactly one game of Kill Team I doubt it’ll be soon!

• 4 weeks later...

Project LSS is finally complete.

gallery_103206_14222_323446.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_1292155.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_503181.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_1684843.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_1074300.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_623849.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_271837.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_686235.jpg

It's taken eight months, on and off, and aside from a few small issues I've just noticed while uploading my photos I'm very pleased. It's only contributed 55 points to the ETL, but as a personal achievement it's so much more than I thought I could ever do.