Task Force Umbra - a Raven Guard 5th company WIP

golfdeltafoxtrot

More progress on the Reivers:

gallery_103206_14222_480350.jpg

I'm really enjoying painting these guys, they're such great models. And I've never had so much fun painting Space Marine helmets. I've still got the leather to do, which will help break up all the black, and the highlights on the weapon casings. Then it's just decals and basing left.

Painting is complete!

gallery_103206_14222_430.jpeg

I'm hopefully going to get started on the 30 decals this squad needs this evening, and after that it's just basing. Ideally I'll get this vow done by the beginning of next week, but it doesn't look like I'll have time for much more. Maybe I can squeeze in a lieutenant or a squad of Aggressors...

TL;DR - sometimes printers are dicks.

So the Chapter badge and the battlefield role icon have gone onto each mini. Then I hit a snag when I realised I didn't have a high enough Gothic number for the left knee squad marking.

Off I go to B&C's decal repository for a sheet of white-on-black gothic numbers, fire up my printer, and....nothing. Elderly laptop refuses to connect to even more elderly printer. 4 hours later when I finally get them to talk to each other, my black comes out pink.

Fine, my printer is nearly 10 years old, maybe it's time for a replacement. So Tuesday evening sees me trying to install a new printer. It takes a whole 24 hours to download and install the framework and drivers to make it work, so my decals didn't get printed until last night. I've got two coats of varnish on them, and will hopefully be able to get a third sprayed on tonight.

As such my decal plans have slipped substantially, but I'm still hoping to get the rest of the decals and the bases done over the weekend. Still hopeful I'll be able to add at least a Primaris Lieutenant for vow three.

I'd like to think I've gotten fairly good at applying decals now. I've been doing it fairly regularly for 18+ months now, I've probably applied 100 or so at this point to a variety of miniatures, and my processes have gotten sharper. But this was a new level of transfer hell:

gallery_103206_14222_722462.jpg

Trying to get the squad number on the kneepads of my Reivers has been a nightmarish ball ache. The kneepad seems to be almost conical, so getting a flat transfer to lie flush has been hellish. I've applied three coats of Microsol, made relief cuts, trimmed away excess material, and still some of them won't sit!

It's only one or two that aren't quite right still, so I'm hoping that they won't be too noticeable once everything is varnished, but it means that I only got started on my bases last night, and a third vow is looking increasingly unlikely.

Second vow is finally completed.

gallery_103206_14222_284516.jpeg

gallery_103206_14222_146824.jpeg

gallery_103206_14222_74796.jpeg

gallery_103206_14222_525011.jpeg

gallery_103206_14222_84861.jpeg

I really enjoyed painting these guys. I love the Phobos pattern armour, the leather webbing, and the big weapons, but there's also a few nice details like the screen on the Sergeant's arm and a few little cables that make the painting process interesting. I'm looking forward to picking up some of the new Vanguard squads when they come out.

• 3 weeks later...

Highlighting these guys is painful!

I like the shiney shoulder pads :thumbsup:

I think I'm going to do a few edge highlights on this guy's armour, there's a few places where the drybrush hasn't taken as well as I'd like.

The shiny shoulder pads are purely temporary, it's just a pre-transfer gloss varnish.

Second Lieutenant, Raven Guard 5th Company

gallery_103206_14222_55889.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_113995.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_80596.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_46653.jpg

I really enjoyed painting this guy, lots of interesting bits. I also got a chance to try out Raven Guard skin, though I'm not a big fan of helmetless Astartes so it might be the first and only time I get to pain super pale skin.

I've got three Aggressors up next, and I'm going to try to get a full army shot done at some point this week.

I think the skin looks great, and I look forward to seeing you give it another go when you buy the new Shrike :wink:

Thanks Frater.

Sadly I think new Shrike is an abomination and I shan't be going anywhere near him. Next on the RG shopping list (once I've painted my Aggressors, Devastators, Predator, T'au Kill Team, Red Hunters Chaplain, Red Hunters Lieutenant, Inquisitor & retinue, Cawdor gang, Aeronautica Imperialis squadron, and a big pile of assorted terrain) will be an Invictor, a squad of Eliminators, a squad of Incursors, and maybe some Phobos character conversions with a spare box of Reivers I've got lying around (who will all be wearing helmets like the Sensible Marines they are.