Task Force Umbra - a Raven Guard 5th company WIP

golfdeltafoxtrot

5 tact marines with HB and storm bolter are great for board control and making up requirements for detachments. They are only 77pts and have reasonable firepower and survivability.

They can just hold ground and denial of deep striking zones is crucial in 8th.

Late to the party on this one. Don't forget the Hellfire Shell Stratagem on that Heavy Bolter. No one is going to expect Mortal Wounds from a Tac squad!

Very fine work:thumbsup: You've made a great start.... I really like the poses and the kit bash work. Can't wait to see them painted.....hmmm:unsure.: ...... I guess I'll have to wait seeing as I'm not painting  them :biggrin.: Keep up the good work and welcome back to the hobby!

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Very fine work:thumbsup: You've made a great start.... I really like the poses and the kit bash work. Can't wait to see them painted.....hmmm:unsure.: ...... I guess I'll have to wait seeing as I'm not painting them :biggrin.: Keep up the good work and welcome back to the hobby!

Thanks Lunkhead.

I’m nearly done with assembly for now, just finishing the last tactical marine then got a lascannon Devastator to do.

Painting is going to be delayed as a result of imminent freezing temperatures and snow here at home, then a week of scorching temperatures and cold beer on holiday in Mexico.

Painting will follow after that.

I'm leaning more toward Company Veterans over Sternguard these days.

I'm equipping mine with storm bolters nd chainswords using some nifty over/under storm bolters I found on Shapeways (they look like the guns the Alpha Legion Seekers come with) with chain-bayonets mounted.

Same points cost as a barebones Sternguard squad. Slightly less range and AP but more shots, and 3 attacks each because the whole squad has chainswords. And the best part: They can soak wounds for any character within 3" of the squad on a 2+.

I lose 6" of range and -2 SO in exchange for 20 bolter shots inside 12" and 16 CQC attacks for a 5 man squad. That can also soak wounds for characters. No brainer in my opinion.

5 tact marines with HB and storm bolter are great for board control and making up requirements for detachments. They are only 77pts and have reasonable firepower and survivability.

They can just hold ground and denial of deep striking zones is crucial in 8th.

Late to the party on this one. Don't forget the Hellfire Shell Stratagem on that Heavy Bolter. No one is going to expect Mortal Wounds from a Tac squad!

As lackluster as C:SM Stratagem are, this is an easily underestimated one.  With how prominent hordes are, you've plenty of reason to take Heavy Bolters in the first place.  If an opponent is accommodating enough to leave a juicy target available for a mortal wound or three, who are you to neglect such generosity? :wink:

Now if only the damn things weren't restricted to infantry...oh well.  Like I said, lackluster. :P

Edited by Firepower

Assembly completed, for now at least.

Managed to do my last Tactical marine and the new lascannon wielder for my Devastators. Pondering the inclusion of a second lieutenant, probably along the same lines as the first, given that they’re so cheap.

Here’s the finished Tactical Squad, ready to secure objectives and put out a lot of bolt rounds. Good point about the Hellfire Stratagem guys, will add that to the short list of non-useless Stratagems.

gallery_103206_14222_225283.jpeg

The completed Devastator Squad. Bit of a mish-mash of weapons, but I figure they can easily split fire and engage multiple targets as appropriate.

gallery_103206_14222_441162.jpeg

And finally a group shot of Task Force Umbra as it stands.

gallery_103206_14222_1653692.jpeg

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement so far - I’m going to need more of that during painting!

I’ll look into Company Veterans too, and as badass as those storm bolters are they’re going to be prohibitively expensive to obtain in the UK. I’ll look round for others if I need a shooty-doom Squad.

Look into Alpha Legion Seekers from Forgeworld.

Their guns inspired the over/under design of the Shapeways ones.

Edit: Oops, it was Headhunters.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Alpha-Legion-Head-Hunter-Kill-Team-Upgrade-Set

Edited by Claws and Effect

A simple way to paint black is a black spray based heavy dry brush in storm vermin dirge and then a coat of nuln wash. That deals with all the bulk of the armourcthen it’s just details and transfers

A simple way to paint black is a black spray based heavy dry brush in storm vermin dirge and then a coat of nuln wash. That deals with all the bulk of the armourcthen it’s just details and transfers

I’ve seen a video like that, it’s lools pretty easy for a painting noob like me. I’m going with Army Painter Matt Black for my base, so that I can easily repaint anything that gets a bit over-drybrushed before I wash.

Now if only the damn things weren't restricted to infantry...oh well. Like I said, lackluster. :P

Or just 1 model... HB devs become very scary when the whole squad gets it. ;)

Models look great! Whens the painting happening? :D

Thanks dude. Its currently -5C and threatening to snow this weekend, then I’m in Mexico for 10 days. So probably after that.

I’ve seen a video like that, it’s lools pretty easy for a painting noob like me. I’m going with Army Painter Matt Black for my base, so that I can easily repaint anything that gets a bit over-drybrushed before I wash.

I use Krylon Flat Black Paint + Primer.

It looks pretty much identical to Chaos Black when dry and costs less than half the money. Krylon is a pretty big company, so you should be able to find some in the UK.

I use Krylon Flat Black Paint + Primer.

It looks pretty much identical to Chaos Black when dry and costs less than half the money. Krylon is a pretty big company, so you should be able to find some in the UK.

I’ll have a look for it. I’ve already picked up the Army Painter stuff, but it’s always worth having other options.

Next painting question - helmet lenses. Any colour advice? I’m pondering red, but I also want my scouts to have Splinter Cell-esque green glowing optics, which I might also use for all my scopes and I’m worried it might clash.

Any ideas/tips?

• 4 weeks later...

Holiday is over, the snow has finally finished (I hope) so I've got no more excuses to not paint. Therefore, this happened this evening.

gallery_103206_14222_1043031.jpeg

It's the first time I've applied paint to model since 2005, so I'm hoping I don't balls it up. I went into my FLGS to buy some paints the other day (they were out of Leadbelcher, which was sad) so I picked up the base paints I'm going to need. The Reivers just sort of fell into my hands. I can't be blamed for buying more models. The models made me do it.

gallery_103206_14222_340067.jpeg

The wonder of black is that it goes with almost everything. Green and blue work very well, while red, orange and white are obviously good contrasts.

The palette is literally yours :tu: