Task Force Umbra - a Raven Guard 5th company WIP

golfdeltafoxtrot

The bits really fit them. The hi tech gear and helmets make a lot of sense. If they're in a LSS they've already forsaken stealth since it's going to be zooming around and making noise. It makes sense that they would have better optics gear to allow them to function at a higher level than a sniper in a camo cloak slinking around in some trees.

The bits really fit them. The hi tech gear and helmets make a lot of sense. If they're in a LSS they've already forsaken stealth since it's going to be zooming around and making noise. It makes sense that they would have better optics gear to allow them to function at a higher level than a sniper in a camo cloak slinking around in some trees.

That’s exactly my thought process. They’re equipped as a rapid-reaction force - quick insertion via Land Speeder, increased protection for survivability, weapons modified for close-range firefights. I’ve no idea if they’ll work like that in-game, but I’m more interested in the modelling and the story-telling potential anyway.

Paint will follow in the not-too-distant future. I could probably make a start on the pilot as he doesn’t require any more work (other than sticking his arm on once he’s in position). The rest of the structural elements just require additional purchases really, though I’m not sure how long he magnetising will take.

...but I’m more interested in the modelling and the story-telling potential anyway.

I wish we lived closer. I'd love to play out some awesome narratives with you. That's the same attitude I have and I wish more people local to me had that.

...but I’m more interested in the modelling and the story-telling potential anyway.

I wish we lived closer. I'd love to play out some awesome narratives with you. That's the same attitude I have and I wish more people local to me had that.

I’m a roleplayer first and foremost, so I’m always looking to create a narrative around my games. Theme is the most important thing for me in this game. I’ve been in and out of it since 2nd edition, I’ve got a wall full of BL books and a substantial collection of 40K RPG.

I couldn’t care less about the meta, about competitive gaming, about having THE list. I just want to have fun making cool models and telling cool stories in the 41st millennium.

That’s probably why Kill Team is the most excited I’ve been for a GW in about 15 years.

• 1 month later...

Things have been progressing slowly for Task Force Umbra in recent months, mainly due to the arrival of Kill Team. I’ve been busy building and painting the scenery from the starter set, which has been time consuming but very rewarding. It’s a joy to paint, with enough little details to keep it from becoming too monotonous.

I’ve returned to the Ravenspire in the last week though.

gallery_103206_14222_27268.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_11572.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_19261.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_27289.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_49254.jpg

Magnetisation is complete. It’s ready for painting (once the weather settles enough to allow my to spray anything).

I’ve also been working on my Assault Squad and Apothecary. A mammoth effort yesterday means that they’re almost done, so pictures will follow once they’re complete.

Edited by golfdeltafoxtrot

Thanks Race.

Once I'd sat down and thought about the process it actually wasn't too difficult. Getting the magnets in the right place was the biggest challenge, there's not much margin for error with 2mm x 1mm magnets, but aside from a couple that are too deep or slightly too shallow it was a fairly simple process. I only made one polarity error during the build (I got a pair of standard legs mismatched) but fortunately I had spares.

The whole thing probably took me about 5 hours last Friday, then another 30 minutes on Sunday adding another magnet to the standing guy because one magnet caused him to fail the barrel roll test. I've learned loads from the process that will make doing further magnetisations much easier. I'm planning to magnetise some storm bolters onto the armoured containers in the Sector Munitorum Kill Zone kit (when I can eventually find one) but I'm going to try my hand at another vehicle at some point. Maybe for that Ironclad I keep thinking about...

I think you made the write choice with swapping the two funky sitting legs for 'regular' ones. If I ever do this that's the route I would take. I love when I see this done but I've yet to see someone pull of those two sitting positions well on a base. No matter what they do it looks bad IMO.

For your polarity issue may I humbly suggest taking a look at my magnetization tutorial: https://imgur.com/a/0xFsd

I use a couple tricks that help to prevent inserting magnets the wrong way.

I think the thing holding me back, besides overall time and project log is the alignment prep and actual work.  That's the reason I keep pushing mine down the list (really I need to STOP BUYING STUFF).  So that's me.  This is really great inspiration though.

And that tutorial is great :tu:  

I think the thing holding me back, besides overall time and project log is the alignment prep and actual work. That's the reason I keep pushing mine down the list (really I need to STOP BUYING STUFF). So that's me. This is really great inspiration though.

It’s not that big a deal once you’re clear on what you’ve got to do. I’d put it off for a few days because I was scared about getting the alignments wrong but actually a mm or two isn’t very visible once you’ve got minis in place.

Having bluetacked it together to judge where I wanted final positions to be really helped as I could go back to the photos for reference.

Once you’ve got comfortable working out where and how deep you need to drill then the work gets much easier. I reckon the first position I did - the guy riding shotgun - took me an hour, but things got much more efficient from then.

If you’re hesitant then try magnetising something smaller to start with - do some arm swaps or something. Magnetising is much easier than I expected, even with my rudimentary skills. Give it a go Race!

Painting update, but no photos yet I'm afraid.

The assault squad and apothecary are painted. I've tried out some new techniques, including a blue glow from the jump packs and the Sergeant's plasma pistol, and I've attempted some fluid-filled vials at the Apothecary's waist. They're on my cutting mat to start getting decals down tonight, then it's just basing after that. I'd like to have them done by this time next week, then I'm going to do some conversion work on the Easy-To-Build Intercessors I got with issue 1 of Conquest. They're going to be built as Red Hunters, to accompany my Ordo Militum Inquisitor (who I'm sure I'll get round to finishing one day).

After that, it'll be back to the Ravenspire. I've been on a priming spree this weekend so I've got 10 Reivers, 3 Aggressors, 5 Devastators, a semi-modular Rhino chassis, a Whirlwind turret, and the Land Speeder Storm all ready to go. I'm probably going to start with the vehicles first as a change of pace from power armour. I'm tempted to start with the Rhino/Whirlwind to get my hand in before I tackle the LSS. I don't want a dodgy paintjob to ruin all my conversion work!

Update, this time with photos.

Got all the decals down last night, so all that’s left is basing and Dullcote-ing.

gallery_103206_14222_1494.jpg

I’m very happy with the Apothecary. The white on his right shoulder pad isn’t as smooth as I’d like, but I can live with it. The Kromlech arm and backpack are great, and they fit well with the GW torso. I’ve positioned him as though he’s running towards a fallen Brother and taking down an enemy as he goes. A lot of Apothecaries are very static or neutral in pose, there’s not enough emphasis given to the fact that they’re hardened battle-brothers who run into danger to save others.

gallery_103206_14222_15529.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_19413.jpg

gallery_103206_14222_23181.jpg

A few key shots of the Sergeant from my Assault Squad. The chainsword replacements are Anvil Industry’s Exo-Lords Combat Blades. I’ve attempted to make them look like they’re monomolecular-edged swords - same efficacy as chainswords with less noise.

The plasma pistol glow is OK, and will probably get better with practice, but I’m pleasantly surprised with how effective the jump pack glow is. It was finicky but manageable once I got into the rhythm of it. The pure white seems a little bright though, I wonder whether a blue wash or glaze would tie it all together better?

Comments and criticism welcome as ever.