Task Force Umbra - a Raven Guard 5th company WIP

golfdeltafoxtrot

I’m a relapsed hobbyist, dragged back into the 41st millennium by some friends having not collected or played since about 2008. I’ve always been drawn to the Raven Guard by their fluff, and the fact that they’re (theoretically) easy to paint for a reluctant and lazy painter like myself. Therefore, I’ve obtained all my old models from my parents’ loft, and purchased a few new bitz. I’m a kitbasher at heart - I love to convert models, try out new poses or switch equipment around, but I’m starring out slowly to ease myself back into it.

Anyway, I’ve done a little work on a few things over the last few days. My friends and I are planning to reintroduce ourselves to the hobby via the Heralds of Ruin Kill Team rules, which will allow me to ease myself back into building and painting. I will be playing a small detachment of Raven Guard, which so far consists of 5 sniper scouts, 3 Sternguard Veterans, and a Librarian who I’m still working on and is currently in pieces.

Accountability is a big motivator for me, which is why I hope publishing my work on here will keep me going, and I’d also appreciate any criticism or advice more experienced hands might offer. Therefore, as my first post, I present the fruits of this week’s work.

gallery_103206_14222_1117165.jpeg

Three Sternguard Veterans based on a tactical squad chassis. Tactical scopes and stick mags from Anvil Industry to make the special issue bolsters stand out, and an attempt to pose the squad as firing from a static position (except the one guy who’s firing while reviewing his auspex data because he’s got mad skillz). I still need to get some 3mm plastic rod to make suppressors on the bolters though.

gallery_103206_14222_542765.jpeg

Some not-very-heavily converted scouts. Heads are from Anvil Industry’s Black Ops range - I like how they have some of the MkVII helmet aesthetic but have the additional optics.

Basing will follow when I get the materials. I love the idea of a small RG task force sneaking through a city, so all of my bases will be urban. The Sternguard will likely get some form of paving or concrete-look scheme, and I’m pondering buying some mesh or diamond-cut plasticard to give the scouts the appearance of shooting from an elevated walkway or gantry.

Edited by golfdeltafoxtrot

Thanks all, I love how encouraging this forum is to newbies and pseudo-newbies like me.

Did some more work in front of the telly last night:

6 more Sternguard done, with new scopes and mags. I’m trying to create a few interesting poses - Standard Marine Holds Bolter gets dull quickly, but my bits box and my modelling skills aren’t up to the task of unique poses for everyone yet.

gallery_103206_14222_1450538.jpeg

Tried my hand at the reloading look, complete with MkVIII torso. Mostly happy with it.

gallery_103206_14222_488077.jpeg

This pose I shamelessly ripped off another WIP I saw yesterday. Sometimes even the best marksmen need to readjust their sights.

gallery_103206_14222_1286357.jpeg

Also managed to reassemble some other models that had collapsed into parts over the years. I want to do something interesting with the Devastator sergeant’s other arm though. Any ideas?

gallery_103206_14222_444814.jpeg

And finally a small assault squad, some of which are posed oddly and based poorly thanks to my less-than-stellar previous assembly job.

gallery_103206_14222_1505536.jpeg

I’ve got 5 more jump-pack-less assault marines that I haven’t finished with, but then I haven’t worked out what I want to do with them either. Still waiting on a shoulder pad for the librarian, and I seem to be a helmet short for him too, but that’ll be my next job.

Thanks dude. The left hands are another part from Anvil Industry that's doing me a job.

Painting is coming. I'm working out what I need to assemble and psyching myself up for painting - it's probably been 13 years since I last painted anything, and my painting back then was awful. I want to do a good job on these guys, so I've been watching lots of videos and trying to plan out what I'm going to do. Not particularly prepared for all the edge highlighting though.

I feel you. I was out for 16 years but all the internet help available now made things much easier for me second time round. Two big tips: thin your paints (wet pallets are easy to make and very handy for that); and keep the heels of your palms together whilst you paint, it’ll mean that if one hand shakes the other will move with it, so your paint has a better chance of ending up where you want it.

Now I need to check out those left hands.

Some reinforcements have arrived for Task Force Umbra, but I’d like to ask the opinion of fraters more knowledgable than myself.

Got a good deal on a tactical squad box, but I’m reading a lot of disappointment with the tactical squad these days. I also need to cannibalise some parts to finish off my Sternguard (I’m a sergeant short) and I need a head for my librarian (now that all the parts have arrived and he’s on the slate for assembly). That leaves me with the majority of a tactical squad box, but not much idea what to do with it.

Is it worth having a tactical squad even though they don’t seem to be great, with the idea of SftSing them onto an objective?

Do I make more Sternguard, because they’re like tactical marines but better at shooting stuff?

Do I use the leftover weapons from my Devastators to make more Devastators?

Do I use a body or two to make lieutenants to bolster my Sternguard or Devastators?

Please, assist me with my decision paralysis!

How much ObSec do you have? While I prefer Intercessors for that duty a double 5 man las/plas team was the way I use to go for backfield duty

After that then yeah devestators with different load outs give you ability to tailor versus opponent for narrative games

How much ObSec do you have? While I prefer Intercessors for that duty a double 5 man las/plas team was the way I use to go for backfield duty

After that then yeah devestators with different load outs give you ability to tailor versus opponent for narrative games

Currently, 5 sniper Scouts. But the goal is to add more Scouts in the near future, probably 5 bolter Scouts.

In retrospect that may not be enough ObSec, even in small games.

Can I get away with a 5-man tactical squad for now, alongside some lascannon Devastators?

5 tact marines with HB and storm bolter are great for board control and making up requirements for detachments. They are only 77pts and have reasonable firepower and survivability.

They can just hold ground and denial of deep striking zones is crucial in 8th.

5 tact marines with HB and storm bolter are great for board control and making up requirements for detachments. They are only 77pts and have reasonable firepower and survivability.

They can just hold ground and denial of deep striking zones is crucial in 8th.

That’s very doable with my current set up, thanks dude.

I can move a HB Devastator into a 5 man Tactical Squad and replace him with a lascannon.

In other news I’ve finished off my last Sternguard, who’s wielding the first of my fully upgraded special issue bolters with a suppressor, and I’ve constructed my librarian. Photos to follow, hopefully tomorrow, which will also be the day I’ll be purchasing some paint. It’s getting very real now!

So I got some more converting/building work done over the weekend, and I’m heading ever more to the point where I can’t put off painting any longer. I even bought some paint for the first time in about 15 years, so it feels like it’s really happening.

gallery_103206_14222_1498793.jpeg

Here’s my librarian, one of my favourite conversions from my last foray into the hobby which I’ve tidied up and finally finished off. His force glaive will probably be an axe in-game.

gallery_103206_14222_364230.jpeg

gallery_103206_14222_1261733.jpeg

The Sternguard squad is finally finished, complete with suppressors for their SIBs. Making those suppressors was particularly tedious, but I’ve got loads of styrene rod left so there may be more suppressed bolters in the future.

gallery_103206_14222_17620.jpeg

I’ve also started work on my tactical squad. I’ve moved one of my HB Devastators into the squad, and I’ll probably replace him with a lascannon in the near future.

Hoping to get the rest of the tactical squad built this week, then I’m on holiday for 10 days so painting will probably begin after that.

Comments, criticism, and tips are welcome as ever.

Using styrene rods is a technical level beyond my ability so you get mad props right there :tu: the Anvil Ind. bits really makes the model pop as well.

You are doing great, now for some paint!

Woo a rhyme ^_^

Thanks Race. I’m nervous about getting started with the painting because I know I’m a rubbish painter (at least I was rubbish 10 years ago, and I about I’ve got better since!) and I’m pretty sure my efforts won’t match up to how I want them to look.

I’ll keep it simple to start with, and see how it goes. Then once I’ve sorted painting, I’ve got decals to learn to use!

for the decals get yourself some Microsol to apply them. It makes it far easier than water as it softens the transfers more meaning they bend to the curved surfaces of marines far better. It also makes them attach far better so they dont rub off. It's only a couple of quid for a bottle that will do multiple armies worth

Sorry if I missed it, but what chapter are you painting them as?

for the decals get yourself some Microsol to apply them. It makes it far easier than water as it softens the transfers more meaning they bend to the curved surfaces of marines far better. It also makes them attach far better so they dont rub off. It's only a couple of quid for a bottle that will do multiple armies worth

Sorry if I missed it, but what chapter are you painting them as?

Great minds think alike - already picked up some Sol and Set on Saturday. It’s going to be my first time with decals, and I’d read that they made things really simple.

They’re going to be Raven Guard, core of 5th company with some 1st company veterans and 10th company scouts.

You've got a knack of putting marines together, all the poses are strong, but that Librarian is a cut above!

Don't be afraid of the painting, it's all about practice, so just try to keep it clean at first. There's nothing to stop you coming back to minis down the road as you improve.

Well, you have to start somewhere...okay, you technically don't have to paint at all, but you take my meaning. :tongue.:

Painting is like any skill: practice practice practice.  I've painted off and on since I was a wee little snotling, but even looking at models I painted 6 years ago and what I paint now is a night and day difference in a lot of ways. 

Some folks just set a bar for themselves on what is satisfactory, and settle for that.  Other (masochistic) folks like me are never happy with their work and always strive to make things look prettier.  The odd result is eventually you'll seriously ponder repainting years of work because it's not up to snuff with your newer stuff...and then repainting that, you would learn and refine new skills, putting the models that were the bar before into the same 'must repaint' category as the models you just updated, and down the spiral of insanity you go.  I swear I was almost a normal person once.  I know because the voices tell me so.  :teehee:

Starting out, I'd recommend the first approach.  Experimental new techniques and attempts to up the standard are best reserved for centerpiece units like HQ's.  Besides, if you don't like the results you can always strip the paint and try again :smile.:

Edited by Firepower

Thanks for all the encouragement fraters, it’s really appreciated.

Did a little more work last night in front of Masterchef. The recently acquired Tactical squad box was always going to supply me with some leftover parts, so I thought I’d bash together a lieutenant to ride along with either my Sternguard or Devastators. He’s pretty barebones kit-wise, but he’s cheap and is mainly there for his aura. I also entered him into Grotsmasha’s conversion challenge.

gallery_103206_14222_1219562.jpeg

gallery_103206_14222_405052.jpeg

gallery_103206_14222_128626.jpeg

gallery_103206_14222_85585.jpeg

gallery_103206_14222_1086948.jpeg

Styrene rod suppressor, Anvil Industry head and sniper scope, the rest of the parts are pretty standard Tactical Squad bits. I’m going to fluff him as an expert marksman and infiltrator, a Raven Guard sniper.