TS faq up

Archaeinox

So if you haven't noticed the FAQ announcement page on Facebook has some guy complaining about mutilith vortex beast spam. So two spearheads with 6 beasts total using the beam of unreality power each turn for up to 18 mortal wounds a turn. I think it sounds scarier that what would happen I game.

So if you haven't noticed the FAQ announcement page on Facebook has some guy complaining about mutilith vortex beast spam. So two spearheads with 6 beasts total using the beam of unreality power each turn for up to 18 mortal wounds a turn. I think it sounds scarier that what would happen I game.

Well, if only does cute little beasts would be very small and very cheap :P

Sounds like hyperbole and bullgak. I doubt he's actually faced 6 Mutaliths, he's just pondering "how horrible it would be" to do so and then overthinking it, hard.

1) 6 Mutaliths is 900 pts that don't shoot, are rather slow and rather meh at close combat. Those mortal wounds are all they're bringing to the table in terms of damage-output.

2) Regarding the Mortal Wounds, 6 Mutaliths will on average deal 7,5 mortal wounds (because one will fail it's 2+ roll, leading to 15 rolls on 4+). Once they start taking damage, this number will decrease.

3) They also hit the closest enemy unit, something you can easily abuse if facing them. "Oh no, don't mortal wound my fodder unit..."

So 900 pts, inflicting on average 7,5 mortal wounds and they can't even choose a target? Sounds like it needs a nerf alright... :teehee:

Don't for get the mandatory HQ for each spear head. I think the cheapest you can do it is like 1108 points, and ut will only set you back like 500 US dollars, no biggie. I mean maybe one spearhead to be used A distraction carnifexes for Magnus but even that is pushing it.

The big prize from the FAQ is 6 Seer' s bane attacks I think, and a pistol to boot.

Huh, I would've thought around 9-12 attacks (if I understand Betentacled maw correctly) would've made some pretty decent melee stats for the Vortex Beast.

I'd wonder if Warp Flare shouldn't be disregarded either; it would seem to me like the go-to instead of Beam of Unreality during the main thick of the battle to me, with higher expected damage with two units in range (though divided).

I don't think that makes anything about it broken, mind you, but I'm curious as to how it would play out on the tabletop.

Edited by Kite Senet

Yeah it as 12 S7 AP-1 D1 attacks which is pretty good for a single model, but it has to get into melee first. I honestly don't see it being much stronger than a Leman Russ list. Most likely weaker even due only T7 despite the Invul and regeneration.

Huh, I would've thought around 9-12 attacks (if I understand Betentacled maw correctly) would've made some pretty decent melee stats for the Vortex Beast.

12 S7 AP1 attacks looks good on paper, but on average he kills 4 GEQ's, 2 MEQ's or 1 Primaris Marine. 

Of course, the potential is there...

And I agree on Warp Flare, it's much more potent than Beam of Unreality once they get close to the enemy. 

I'm aware of the demon stratagem but where does it say that the Perils causes 2d3 mortal wounds on our aspiring sorcerers?

Just kill Rubrics first, dudes. From the looks of it you guys are killing the Aspiring Sorcerer due to Perils and then making his rubrics (a nearby unit for when a psyker dies?) lose d3 because of the blast. That's not at all how it works, as per the rulebook for a unit suffering Perils.

If you say that's not how it works or call it "reaching" like some others have, let me remind you that if you kill the aspiring sorcerer from a Perils and later get hit by psykout grenades or affected by anti-psyker stuff later in the game when the aspiring sorcerer is dead, the Rubrics still count as Psykers and are affected by the stuff. Are we going to say that they aren't psykers just because it makes sense in the fiction? RAW

After extensive discussion with some of the experienced minds that patron my gaming store, we've determined that until faq'd, remove d3 models from a Rubric Marines unit on a Perils. XD

Edited by Archaeinox

Unfortunately, RAW is pretty clear on this matter.

1) Mortal Wounds spill over

2) Perils of the Warp inflicts d3 MW (or 2d3 with the Daemon Stratagem) to the Psyker

3) An Aspiring Sorcerer that Perils inflicts d3 MW (or 2d3) to himself, which spill over to his squad

4) Then, all nearby units (including his squad) suffer d3 MW

That's why we were all excepting the FAQ to change how Mortal Wounds or Perils of the Warp work.

It only happened once to me, but I can tell you one thing : I'm not casting powers with my Aspiring Sorcerers ever again against Daemons. And we even realised after the game that I had forgotten to roll for Morale... With 7 Rubrics (including Aspiring) dead, I would have lost AT LEAST 1 more, and likely the whole squad (220pts).

This is silly, and GW needs to fix it.

Edited by Nym

Yeah multi model psyker aren't really part of the core rules and need some special explanation ... which would be the FAQ since it's not explained on the Datasheet itself.

Just keep mailing GW so they update the FAQ quickly.

You're saying that the wounds spill over into the unit and each unit within 6" suffers d3 wounds, so the wounds that they just spilled into also suffers d3? It's the same unit. That's now how it works. Even if the aspiring sorcerer had to be the first removed before wounds spill over, it's still his unit.... 

Once again I will bring up that Rubrics are still psykers for the purpose of anti-psyker stuff and as such they can take the d3 wounds when an aspiring rolls double 1s or 6s.

Just accept that they goofed up with this unit and stop trying to apply fluff or logic to it.

Like how they didn't faq Gift of Chaos. Are you playing that as it "should", which is to say that it can only target a "model" because that's what the CSM says? If you target a melta gun model with Gift of Chaos it says that model suffers 3+d3 which means he's the first to go. Ours, however, says target the unit. How do you play it? Needs to be faq'd or we use it as is... Just like the perils.

I get that this stance is unpopular, and that's fine, but I'm going to push it since we've ran with it here.

Edited by Archaeinox

Like how they didn't faq Gift of Chaos. Are you playing that as it "should", which is to say that it can only target a "model" because that's what the CSM says? 

The french codices (both CSM and Thousand Sons) actually say "ennemy unit" instead of "ennemy model", so we don't have any problem with Gift of Chaos over here. We roll against the unit toughness, then remove d3+3 models (no sniping).

Anyway if the people you play with allow you to only suffer d3 wounds, that's great. Sadly, those I play with value RAW above all and argue that since we don't have the "Grey Knights" wording, the Aspiring is meant to take 2d3 Rubrics with him into the grave. :/

PS : I realise this issue is very similar to the one with All Is Dust (is it meant to apply to the Aspiring Sorcerer too since he gets the RUBRIC MARINE keyword ?)

Edited by Nym

What is the Gk wording?

"If this unit suffers PErils of the Warp, it suffers D3 mortal wounds as described in the core rules, but units within 6" will only suffer damage if the Perils of the Warp cause the last model in the manifesting unit to be slain."

Yeah but then again the GKs models all are Psyker while with the TSons only the "champion" is the Psyker so such a wording wouldn't make too much sense.

Imo the best way to handle it would've been to give the Sorcerer a different section of keywords and to clarify that the suffered Mortal wounds from perils don't spill over to the unit. About the explosion once the Sorcerer dies....well it would make sense for the rest of the Rubric squad to suffer from those Mortal wounds as well I guess.