C:SM Stratagem Improvements

I approve of the concept of the changes but don't necessarily agree with some.

As an example, changing the Ultramarines one is unneeded. Allowing a Tactical/Intercessor squad to reroll hits (or any other unit reroll 1s) is great and most importantly part of the problem in the game is every army having Guilliman. The reasoning that it should be changed because Ultramarines have Guilliman misses the point.

Being able to allow models to reroll misses AWAY from a Captain makes Ultramarines more flexible in army build and deployment. I often combine it with the Hellfire Stratagem for maximum damage.

I will probably do my Stratagem changes alongside broader changes I'd like changed but I applaud the effort.

I wouldn't change things like Auspex Scan like you have either. Devastator squads are normally protected in a deployment zone so fast attackers and deepstrikers can't assault them easily etc. So it just won't get used as often.

What we need is more utility in our Stratagems rather than less units who can use them.

I specifically worded Auspex scan so that the devs can fire if an enemy deepstriker lands within 12" of any astartes infantry.  If the enemy lands near your scout screen.. they get blasted by devastators.   Range and LOS still apply though.

That's my fault for not reading it properly whilst working.

However it's even more specific now. You HAVE to have Devastators who have to be able to draw line of sight to the target.

I do think there is potential here. Keep it what is now but expand it so it goes further with Devastator squads.

I'm in agreement with people saying that a big problem is the way many stratagems are tied to specific units. On one hand I quite like it, because it means taking stratagems into account when building lists and using options that wouldn't be as high priority otherwise. On the other hand though, it stifles list building by making some units and options worth less as they don't add to your stratagem pool. Even worse, it's not a universal trait across the entire game. Some armies like the various Marine factions tend to have Stratagems that are unit specific, while other armies have less unit specific stratagems giving them more freedom in list building. The gap becomes even more obvious when you consider that not only do some Marine stratagems require specific units, but require multiple of that unit.

On top of all that, stratagems are always more powerful when they are buffing a powerful unit than polishing a weaker unit. A stratagem that can appy to any type of unit is way better than a stratagem that only applies to a specific unit.

Inwould argue untying certain strategems from specific units (Masterful Marksmanship for any infantry unit, for example) would be a boon.

Maybe a strategem for Vindicators to have its damage rolls deal that many mortal wounds instead, to allow it to blow apart infantry units mroe readily. Could only be used after an enemy model fails an armour save, so it could replicate the large blast effect better.

Inwould argue untying certain strategems from specific units (Masterful Marksmanship for any infantry unit, for example) would be a boon.

Maybe a strategem for Vindicators to have its damage rolls deal that many mortal wounds instead, to allow it to blow apart infantry units mroe readily. Could only be used after an enemy model fails an armour save, so it could replicate the large blast effect better.

How about the unit takes mortal wounds if a model is killed?

It could represent other models in the unit being hit by chunks of their fallen comrade.......

I'd like to see an Overwatch Stratagem, along the lines of:

"Overwatch (2cp)

At the end of the opposing player's movement phase, select a Tactical Squad, Intercessor Squad, Sternguard Squad or Terminator Squad, this unit may fire as if it was their shooting phase, they may not fire in their next shooting phase."

Edit: obviously the name overwatch is taken, but call it whatever you like. It would be flexible and opponents would have to allow for it but not game breaking.

Rik

Edited by Rik Lightstar

Stratagem: (Raptors) Cameoline 1CP per unit.

There’s a bit of a dust up over whether Raptors should be allowed the Raven Guard Stratagem. This would help make a distinction between the two while keeping the overall Chapter themes connected.

Here's an idea. 

Bolter Drill (Imperial Fists) 1CP:  Use this Stratagem just before an Imperial Fists Infantry unit fires in the shooting phase. Models firing bolt weapons ignore any penalties to their hit roll for the rest of the phase. [same rubric about what counts as a bolt weapon]

The Imperial Fists' current Bolter Drill is pretty lacklustre - and the addition of something like this might just shake up the meta in an interesting way.

Personally I think all tacs and intercessors should have something similar to fury of the legion in 30k or the aggressors double shooting rules when at max squad size. I visual of a squad of ten holding a gate while pumping out 40 bolt rifle shots appeals to me