AM w/ Celestine vs Custodes Saturday 1000pt battle

Gibbous

I have been out of the game for a couple of months, but decided to go play on Saturday. I brought my guard and we played a little 1000 pnt game. Here is what I brought:

Scion Battalion:

2x Tempestor Prime w/ Command Rod

3x Full Tempestus Scions (4x Melta, 4x Plasma, 4x Volley)

Supreme Command:

Primaris Psycher w/ Mental Fortitude & Nightshroud

Celestine w/ both Geminae

Greyfax w/ Dominate

Vindicare Assassin

I'm not sure the names of everything that he brought, but he was talking smack before we started. He was being somewhat polite about it, but his words: "Not trying to discourage you, but I think this will be a quick game". I said that was fine, just trying to get a quick game in to get my head back in it. He brought 5 units to the table for a total of 1k in points. 

We decided on playing some Maelstrom, with cards. 

Of course he gets the first turn but doesn't do much. He moved up a little, got onto an objective; no shooting or psych. 

Bottom of turn 1, in my novice understanding, I think I'm going to score a VP by getting line breaker (yes, I know now) so I drop in a squad of Scions behind a group of his terminators, thinking I'd kill a couple of them with the Melta guns.... not a single damage was given. I had also drawn defend object 4 which was on my side, left flank. So I dropped in another the Volley squad, w/ Tempestor Prime, move Primaris Psycher over there as well, Vindicare Assassin was revealed on my side, middle, on top of a building, but I couldn't get line of site anywhere, I wanted him to be a distraction anyway. I have Scions w/ Plasma & a Tempestor Prime left in reserve. Celestine and Greyfax are chilling in the middle w/ the Vindicare, but they are hiding in the building for now. 

Turn 2, things start getting interesting. Opponent decides to bring in his unit of 4 Terminators on bikes (think thats what they were called) on my left flank. Attempting to deny me defend Obj 4. I guess he didn't realize that I had placed my Tempestor Prime and Primaris Psycher in there behind the Scions. He decided to unload 36 shots into the scions, obvious killing that unit. Then, he said that he was going to charge them, to which the Primaris got a free smite on them, he didn't make the charge. 

Next, he kills the destroys the other squad of Melta Scions on the other side of the map. Finally, he brings his warlord out from cover, shooting at the Vindicare...puts one wound on him, then charges...firing overwatch, I get VERY lucky and roll 3 6's in a row, 6 to hit, 6 to wound, D6 damage on his warlord bringing him to 2 wounds remaining!!!

Bottom of turn 2, I've defended Obj 4, and we're tied, but his biggest mistake was putting his Warlord directly in front of my Vindicare. Simultaneously, 20" apart from his Terminators on bikes.... I drop in my final scion squad w/ plasma between the two, move Celestine on top of my building, Greyfax out from behind building within range of Terminators...my goal, kill the warlord and mess up his bikers. Psycher, smites the bikers, greyfax dominates one and has him shoot the damaged biker. Scions Over charge Plasma killing another biker, lasguns go into WL taking off another wound. Vindicare misses... Celestine...Ardent blade burns his soul. I complete the Warlord objective by having 3 units on my side, with no enemies, along with slay the WL. 7-3 on VPs now! 

Turn 3, he kills everyone BUT Celestine! She ain't skerred though. Her and the geminae attack the another OBJ securing it. He decides to charge them for some reason. I guess he didn't realize just how strong Celestine's close combat is. He ends up killing both Geminae, but no worries, one returns and they take out almost his entire squad, except 1 with 1 wound remaining. 

Turn 4, he pulls out of combat, now 10-3 on VPs. Shoots at Celestine again, she ignores the wound with Tenacious survivor. Geminae come back... he gives up! Can't win because Celestine won't die! HEHE

Well played. Especially awesome, since he talked smack beforehand :biggrin.:

I know, that's what made me happy!

Hope you were a good example and didn't talk smack back at him :tongue.:

By the way, I have a batrep in my hobby thread about a game with MT + Celestine vs Custodes. Seems to be a popular matchup these days :biggrin.: It's all about them objectives :wink:

Edited by Frater Cornelius

I have considered taking Celestine with my Elysians, she seems oddly theme appropriate for an airborne unit hero lol. I probably wouldn't use her all the time, I just picked her and Greyfax up, want to use them.

Isn't a Vindicare an Elite choice? I assume he's not actually part of the Supreme Command detachment, it just looks like it from the formatting. Where did the free Smite come from when charging? Psychic powers can only be used in the Psychic phase, you'd fire a shooty weapon (or weapons) in overwatch when being charged.

However you said you're coming back after a break so learning is all part of the return :) Regardless it sounds like you outplayed your opponent so congrats on the win! No pictures from the game?