Xenith

++The Feast of Blades 42,018++

++BEGIN TRANSMISSION++

++ Know, O prince, between the time when the great ocean drank the astronomican, and the final redemption of the sons of Baal, there was an age undreamed of. And unto this, Dante, destined to wear the jeweled visage of Sanguinius upon a troubled brow. It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga. Let me tell you of the days of high adventure! ++

++END++

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This was a time of legends. It was a time of myths. Great warriors lived and died by the thousand, never, since those dark days of the Horus Heresy had Astartes life been lost on such a scale as when the hive mind turned its dark countenance to Baal. Whether intent or through malice, the reason is lost, however the might of Hive Fleet Leviathan directed its rage against the Baal system.

The Blood Angels paid dearly, in blood, to turn back the oncoming darkness. Chapters were ravaged, or lost entirely, whether to the Tyranid menace or to their own bloodlusts. The unthinkable monstrosities in the Tower of Amareo were unleashed to vent their ten thousand year agony upon the swarm, unspeakable weapons were unleashed, at the risk of the Blood Angels very souls, however for all their might, all their darkness it was not enough. One among them was the catalyst that ignited the will to fight, to kill, to survive. One glowing beacon stood at their forefront, and he led them, through defeat, to victory.

Dante did it, he turned the tide.

The trial of the Angels was over, and in this Crucible of war, in these insane forges of blood and zeal, new heroes were made, bringing forth light from the darkness of the old night writ new on the universe.

The scourge of Leviathan was ended, but the Feast of Blades was yet to begin.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

You may remember the events that took place before the Devastation of Baal. The great gathering of successors, the duels for honour, and victory. Slantien Forcells, Librarian-Epistolary of the Blood Angels emerged victorious, fending off the fierce competition of his brothers and cousins emerging victorious, the winner of the 42,016 Feast, and was bested in the arena only by Dante himself.

Prepare yourselves, for the clarion call pierces the night sky of Baal. The Angels have returned, the heavenly host raised on high to take the fight to the enemies of the Emperor and Sanguinius, but before the crusade, it is time for a new feast. A new challenge, and new champion.

Raise your weapons and answer the call. Put forward your greatest champions to compete in single combat, to be crowned the victor, the greatest amongst the heavenly choirs of the Arx Angelicum, the champion of Baal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the official hype thread for the Feast of Blades 42,018. Please check out the previous thread for an idea of what went down, the heroes that were made, their mighty deeds, and the champions they vanquished.

The feast of blades is a typical arena of death, with Blood Angels flavour. We are not just warriors, but artisans. Only fully painted models may partake.

What is the Feast of Blades
All those bearing the heritage of Sanguinius are allowed to compete for the honour of their chapter, and it would be great to see many canon successors and home grown chapters enter. In the event, Blood Angels players chose a champion that they have vowed and painted for the ETL (only completed vows will be allowed to fight), and these will fight against one another (I will be rolling the dice) in a knockout style tournament, until there is only one model remaining: The Victor.

The Feast of Blades Challenge is an idea pinched from Chaplain Lucifer on the DA subforum (with permission). The original thread can be found here, but I have modified them slightly for the BA. The idea is that we have a little friendly rivalry, support our champions, and gain glory. As I roll the dice, I will be narrating the fight, adding a little flavour to the proceedings. To help me out on this, your character needs a name and a story/title. Go nuts, this is your chance for your Champion to gain glory everlasting.

When does it start?
The Feast of Blades event will start immediately after the conclusion of ETL/RTS 2018, so you have plenty, plenty of time to paint your champion, but not much time left to vow for Blood and Zeal. Models vowed/completed Blood and Zeal before this post are valid, just add the link as normal.

How can I participate in the Feast of Blades?
It's quite easy. The key thing is that your champion must have already been part of some geroic deed. As such, they must have been vowed and constructed as part of Blood and Zeal 2018, or painted as part of ETL/RTS 2018. A failed vow on the champion means that he will be disqualified from the FoB - painted models only! A champion may be any non-named CHARACTER of up to 170pts, chosen as normal from the codex. When the time comes, register your interest in the thread by commenting, posting a photo of your model/link to the ETL vow your champion is in, with a list of the wargear they are taking

Arena of Death Rules

The rules for entries are the same as last year, with some modifications, and are as follows:

I will be the GM. Any decision I make is final, and mostly based on gut feeling

CHARACTER CREATION

Make an awesome Champion to duke it out with your fellow Frater's Champions; New wargear options allows for new epicness.

• Your Champion including wargear and rerolls (see below) may cost no more than 170 points
  • Your champion’s base model may be any non-named BLOOD ANGELS CHARACTER or any sergeant from a Index/Codex datasheet.
  • Models may take any wargear listed on their datasheet as normal at the normal cost.
  • Please use common sense.
  • All models must be WYSIWYG regarding weapon and armour choices, and must be fully painted and based to the best of your ability.
  • Characters with special rules will always try to use them to their advantage.
  • All models must be given a name, and some sense of background, why they are awesome.
  • Models constructed as part of the Blood and Zeal challenge, and/or painted as part of the ETL or RTS challenges, will gain one additional reroll (see below) for each event the character has taken part in.

Warlord Traits

Nobody gets any.

Relics

This is not an army, nor are these models warlords. No relics. 

Psychic Powers

Librarians choose two powers as normal in addition to smite, and may cast 2 per turn, essentially making one redundant. List the order in which you wish me to attempt casting.

Sergeants

You don't get to Vet. Sgt by dying easily so sergeant champions will have the "rugged and experienced" rule, that grants a special 6+ save roll that is taken before damage from a wounding hit is calculated. As such, it stands a chance of negating all the damage of an attack.

Purchasing re-rolls
Like in good old Blood Bowl, Rerolls may be purchased by characters at a cost of 15points each. This is to even things out between characters. A captains experience gives him better WS, more attacks, etc, but a Librarians powers lets him predict the enemies movements, dodge their attacks, etc. Rerolls are used sequentially for each failed roll a character makes, so if you buy 2 rerolls, rapid fire a bolter in the first turn and miss both, then that is both rerolls gone.

Example characters: 
Chaplain Lorenzo: Crozius Arcanum, Combi Plasma, 5 rerolls – 162 pts
Captain Castigon, Warden of the North Gate: jump pack, Relic Blade, Grav Pistol, 3 rerolls 167pts
Librarian Badassio – Terminator Armour, force axe, assault cannon, 1 reroll – 167 pts

Chaplain Diabocca  Crozius Arcanum, Jump Pack, Inferno Pistol, 4 rerolls - 159pts, +2 rerolls from ETL+B&Z.

Each of these characters would gain +1 reroll for each event of Blood and Zeal or ETL/RTS they too part in.

Other rules

• First pairings are random, further parings will follow a bracket scheme.
  • In case of odd numbers I will have a stand in character ready.
  • You must be up for ‘banter’ and gentle ribbing of your character in the feast. We’re all brothers, after all.
  • As GM I reserve the right to ask you to modify your characters wargear if I deem it too silly.
  • Jump packs give a +1 to initiative rolls to see who goes first.
  • If one model has 2 different CC weapons, the attacks will be split evenly between both or at user's discretion upon submitting entry.

The Fight
All normal 40k rules apply. Contestants start 18" from each other.  To see who goes first a D6 with jump pack equipped models getting +1 to this roll. Highest number takes the first turn. The model going first will get to move, shoot and assault. The model being assaulted can overwatch as normal.

However if the assault roll fails the model that overwatched can't shoot on his shooting phase. Combats will be resolved just as a normal 40K combat until one model is left with 0 wounds.

How will I know the results?
A battle report after each battle will be written describing the battle.

Questions?
If there are any questions that I did not clarify enough or doubts you have I will add to the FAQ.
Additional Character Rules

You may choose a sergeant from any unit entry if you wish, but he will be at a disadvantage in the wound stake. 

Additional:

There was no FoB 2017 due to both me being lazy, a new ruleset and no codex. The year is now 2018, we have rules, and I understand 8th ed. I know ETL is a long way off, however it gives us plenty of time to play around. Keep this thread in mind. 8th is still relatively new for me, so I have no idea how character interactions will go.

Entrants:

0: Chaplain Diabocca, ringer of the ninth bell, High Chaplain of the Blood Angels. 

Group 1

1: Raphanael, Captain of the Knights of Baal, 2nd Company (sfPanzer)

2: Alessandro, Captain of the Flesh Tearers 5th Company (Aothaine)

3: Calen "The Blood Hammer", Captain of the Carmine Blades 3rd Company (Dont-Be-Haten)

4: Neal Rakton, Captain of the Angels Resplendent 1st Company (Zebulon)

5: Rafaele Estole, Librarian of the Blood Angels (Paladin777)

6: Volan Rebek, Former Chapter Master of the Blood Owls (CaptainHelion)

7: Malachi Mordred, Chief Librarian of the Exsanguinators (Lynnean)

8: Leontes Kamien, Captain of the Flesh Tearers 2nd Company (Mandoloriano)

Group 2

9: Raphael, Captain of the Blood Angels First Company (Spyros)

10: Marcellus Benedict - Intercessor Sergeant of Squad 16, Company 2 of the Blood Angels Chapter (Ornithologist)

11: Vincenzo, Captain of the Blood Angels Second Company: (Spagunk)

12: Solomon, Captain of the Sanguine Knights 4th Company (TrawlingCleaner)

13: Commander Raziel of the Blood Angels 1st Company (Jolemai)

14: Captain Zedrenael of the Blood Angels 8th Company, Lord of Skyfall (Indefragable)

15: Brother sergeant Radek 1st Aggressor squad Carmine Blades 3rd company (Silas7)

16: Captain Alistair of the 1st Company of the Seraphim Knights (BluejayJunior)

Edited by Jolemai
Tags

Heh, basically the only reason why I decided to change my painting schedule and entered a Captain for the B&Z challenge.

Kinda glad the usual Captain Smash build is not possible due lack of Stratagems and Warlord traits, but I'm sure I'm still going to face lots of Thunderhammer wielding Captaibs which still hurt a lot. :D

Another reason to be sad I'm missing B&Z

This is one of my absolute favorite events. I really missed it last year, and can't wait to participate.

I suspect a lot of Captain Smash variants this go round. I have a couple ideas that may see a few alternate models.

Question; Are index entries legal? Or must it be strictly codex options?

You can still enter, you'll just miss a free reroll :) Get someone painted up for ETL. It'll still be a rock paper scissors hopefully between captain smash and mortal wound spamming librarians. Index entries are legal also (like biker captains?)

I read through the last thread, and this is a really cool idea!

As an actual son of Guilliman, I'll not be submitting anyone (unless Dante extends an invitation ) but will be watching the spectacle.

Quick question: are you going to modify some of the rules, considering the changes that 8th has wrought? Such as Initiative not being a thing anymore, and characters having substantially more wounds than Sergeants now - maybe Sergeants could simply gain an extra wound for the event?

You can always paint up a model in BA colours, I won't tell Roboute :happy.:

Good catch on the rules, thanks! I'll have another proof read and make sure all is updated.

Heh, basically the only reason why I decided to change my painting schedule and entered a Captain for the B&Z challenge.

Kinda glad the usual Captain Smash build is not possible due lack of Stratagems and Warlord traits, but I'm sure I'm still going to face lots of Thunderhammer wielding Captaibs which still hurt a lot. :biggrin.:

Yes, look forward to your entry, feel free to post a WIP of him here. I'll specify more in time.

See above for my thoughts on Smaptain Cash, Librarians were the dark horses last year and either won big or lost big - I think it might be the same again.

I just posted my axe and infernus pistol fly-brarian to Blood & Zeal. I think I’ll use him! He may or may not do well, but should be fun either way!

The axe should be good vs anything with an invulnerable save.

The axe should be good vs anything with an invulnerable save.

Force weapons don't affect invulnerables though, right?

Exactly. The Axe reduces the armor only enough so the Invul save matters so doesn't "waste" as much AP as a Powersword etc. would do. Unless of course the opponent has a Storm Shield, then every AP is wasted. :biggrin.:

Tho I'd argue a Power Maul/Power Lance would be even better in that case since it has only AP-1 instead of the AP-2 of the Axe. It would be worse against anything that's not a Captain or Chaplain tho.

Edit: I actually think Chaplains are one of the most potent choices here due the Crozius (+1S so wounding T4 on 2+ the first round, AP-1 so nothing gets wasted due the 4++ of Captains, D2 instead of D1 other power weapons have) while still having a 4++ like the Captain.

Edited by sfPanzer

I was bored and did some numbers.

As everyone probably suspected, Thunderhammers with inherent re-roll to-hit 1s and an invul save will be very strong!

However don't underestimate Librarians in Terminator armor, especially if there's nobody there to deny the witch and they don't peril. That's a lot of Mortal wounds and 1d3 additional attacks with 1d3 damage each (unlike those puny power weapons others have to use) and thanks to the Termintator armor they too have either a 5++ or a 3++. They are only lacking points for re-rolls and an inherent re-roll aura. Just don't let them get first or you might get 4 Mortal wounds in your face before the fight even begins. :sweat:

Other strong contenders are Chaplains (non-Primaris for the better gun and possible invul from a Terminator armor, or Primaris for the additional attack). Those guys have basically the perfect weapon against opponents with only a 3+ armor and a 4++ invul which also has a D2 characteristic. Also an inherent re-roll aura. They're also rather cheap so lots of bought re-rolls even if they go for a Terminator armor!

Last but not least I also checked the Captain in Gravis armor and due T5 and two multi-damage weapons he also does rather well. However due high point cost he'll be lacking re-rolls compared to the other contenders (only the Librarian Termi with SS is more expensive I think).

---

Just some random observations while I'm procrastinating my actual work. :whistling:

Please keep in mind that the whole thing is not about winning in the first place tho. Build awesome Characters and write awesome fluff for them and enjoy watching how your personal special character will do in competition. It's more fun to see a Character you enjoy doing decently and losing to a strong opponent than having some min-maxed Character steam-rolling through the event. :)

I'm pretty much set on my Gravis Captain as well.

I was thinking about getting a Primaris Chaplain for this but even if it's not about winning, it just seems rather pointless to bring something without an invul save against Thunderhammer etc. :ermm:

I was thinking about getting a Primaris Chaplain for this but even if it's not about winning, it just seems rather pointless to bring something without an invul save against Thunderhammer etc. :ermm:

Don't forget that chaplains have a 4++ from their rosarius!  So a primaris chaplain would be fine.  I plan on entering my primaris captain that I just finished for blood and zeal.

Don't forget that chaplains have a 4++ from their rosarius!  So a primaris chaplain would be fine.  I plan on entering my primaris captain that I just finished for blood and zeal.

Haha not sure how I forgot about that when I kept mentioning it before. :D

All good thoughts, but one thing you can't really factor in is the rerolls - weaker characters will be getting assistance from those!

Also, unless there is huge demand, I'm likely to limit it to 8 contestants this year - it went on for a little too long last time. Gotta get those characters painted in ETL!

With regards to Psychic powers will it be based on a set rotation? i.e. 3 powers ranked, then cast?

So I choose Quickening, and Blood Lance, and then I request

1)Smite

2)Quickening

3)Blood Lance

would rotation be 1,2; 3,1; 2,3?

I posted this in the wrong thread earlier.

All good thoughts, but one thing you can't really factor in is the rerolls - weaker characters will be getting assistance from those!

Also, unless there is huge demand, I'm likely to limit it to 8 contestants this year - it went on for a little too long last time. Gotta get those characters painted in ETL!

Rerolls don't mean much of you're on the receiving end of 4 Thunderhammer hits without having an invul....unless you went first and can oneshot something with an invul that is. :tongue.:

Also: damn only 8 this time. That's very limited :sad.:

Edited by sfPanzer

• 2 months later...