Xenith

If a combat lasts long enough and a character has a pistol, are they using them in combat during the shooting phase?

Yes, this is something not factored into the 8th ed version of the tourney, but we'll see how it plays out!

Great writing, brutal fight!

So far the ranged weapons didn't have any effect. But they can force early use of the re-rolls thus leaving the melee saves without second chances.

Now I got to repair Captain Raphael's TDA in anticipation of the future quarter-final's beating...

Great writing, brutal fight!

So far the ranged weapons didn't have any effect. But they can force early use of the re-rolls thus leaving the melee saves without second chances.

Now I got to repair Captain Raphael's TDA in anticipation of the future quarter-final's beating...

Indeed, melta weapons have the potential to end a fight in one shot - suitably nasty. Thunder hammers also cool, the guaranteed 3 damage means 2 wounds is all that's needed on a captain, while the fist statistically needs to cause 3 wounds to strip 6 wounds, That's a huge advantage.

Might have to enter a infernus/hammer captain next time :teehee:

Ok guys, I'm hitting Norway then France with work in the next few days and wont be able to do any work on this - after that I'm on vacation and will bring some dice with me ;) Hopefully Round 1 will be over before the end of Jan!

Cheers! Enjoy!

'Solomon grasped Rakton's hand and pulled himself to his feet.

"An axe versus a hammer brother? Hardly fair now is it?" Solomon grinned ear to ear. "Maybe next Feast I will best you, after all I have time on my side" Rakton snorted and chroteled back and Solomon. Solomon smiled with the thought of returning to his chapter, not with the prize of best fighter within the Sons of Sanguinus but of brotherhood and it's bonds'

It's a shame that I went out so soon but it was a great fight and a great description. There's always next year for the Sanguine Knights

Rafaele watched closely as the intense fight played out. Strike! Parry! Strike! Parry!

The psychic aura of the combatants was equally furious, but carefully controlled as the blows rang out. These two were equally skilled at fighting both the enemy within and without.

Rafaele winced as Rakton’s hammer connected with Soloman’s leg and he knew it was over even before Soloman raised his hand to yield.

Then as quickly as it had begun, the fury and rage subsided. As Rakton held out his hand to help his fellow brother to his feet, he couldn’t help letting a small smile spread across his face. He could sense there was no malice nor bitterness in either of there hearts, only the bonds of friendship and brotherhood.

Rafaele was truly proud that he too had the privilege of calling them brothers, fellow sons of the Angel!

• 2 weeks later...

++++++++

Two.

Two.

Two.

The metronome of his twin hearts beat incessantly slow.

This was taking forever.

The Feast of Blades was here. The time when all Sons of the Angel gathered to test arms, taste blood, and relish in the fraternal bliss of the moment.

He sat on the bench, fully armored. The matches were supposed to start 2 days prior. But the Commander had insisted on more feasting, celebration, and a celebration of the peaceful arts before the martial arts.

"We all know the skill of each others' swords. Let us share in the skill of each others' brushs" Dante had said.

Dante.

The legendary commander. His commander. If he willed it, then it was done. There was not a living soul in the entire Imperium with more skill or experience than the Chapter Master of the Blood Angels.

Ascended to the rank for more than a milennia.

He knew the waiting was good form. He knew that Dante knew the waiting was good for him.

How was he to teach his marines patience and restraint if he could not demonstrate it himself in the most visible of circumstances?

The howl of the Flesh Tearer echoed down the hall. Something smashed in a loud crack of splinters. 

Two.

Chapter serfs moved past carrying the remains of an astartes-sized wooden table broken into large shards. Zed's lip snarled in disgust. Wood was beyond precious on Baal. From the same gene-lineage or not, the Flesh Tearer should be taught a lesson for his uncouth behaviour. Perhaps Zed would get that chance in the ring…

This was his moment. His chance to demonstrate his capabilities. So many other chapters had sent chapter champions, the designated hitters if you will, or respected captains or veteran sergeants from their 1st and 2nd companies…ostensibly the most prestigious units an astartes could be in. Yet here Zedreneal was. Captain of the lowly 8th. What did Dante see in him? Why was he given this honor?

Two.

Rounds before Zedreneal's were announced and the combatants applauded.

Calen.

Captain of the 3rd Company from the Carmine Blades. A newer chapter, by the standards of the Blooded. One that had not until recently realized its lineage belonged to the line of Sanguinius.

He did not know much about the Chapter or its traditions, he was ashamed to admit. "Know your foe" he had preached to his company. So much for leading by example. He did know that Calen preferred to fight with hammer, shield, and jump pack just the same as he did.

Two.

Evenly matched warriors, identically equipped. Zedreneael could not help but think that Dante had chosen this pairing specifically for him so that he would have no choice but to prove his metal in a perfectly matched showdown. In such a matchup, in such a close ring, nearly every advantage was squandered. It would come down to wits, determination, resiliency, and a bit of luck.

Luck. That word. Some would call him superstitious. Some would say he should have faith in Sanguinius looking over him. Zed would say it was simply the mathematics of battle, that most precocious of calculative arts. One could cogitate every possible permutation of an engagement yet simply exiting the warp a few seconds earlier could lead to drastically different outcomes. The techmarines had words for it, but they bored Zed. He simply processed it as the need to always keep a certain adaptability available at all times when it came to planning. Luck.

Two.

Solid blows to get through was all he needed. Zedrenael pondered that thought. With the might of Desert's Tear in his hands, he did not need to be the swifter fighter or the more agile flyer. He did not need to hit harder. He did not need to block more return blows….the trusted storm shield Promise would offer as much protection as anything possibly could. No…he simply needed to get 2 hammer blows past his opponent's guard. One to wound and stagger, the other to finish him offer.  Two hits. The thought calmed him, gave him something to focus on as he envisaged the fight unravelling before him.

Two.

Thoughts were a gemstone to concentrate on in the clawing blackness of his inner thoughts. All he needed was the first blow and the second.  "Two," he whispered to himself, almost like a prayer.

Two.

With that, his heart beats and mind coalesced into a single pulsing rythymn, slowing to a trance state.

His eyes shut even harder, embracing the black within.  When he opened them he would see red.

+++++++

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+++Thought for the day+++

The Feast of Sanguinala is over. The dawn of the new age is here. There is much work to do.

+++END+++

+++ROUND 1, FIGHT 3+++

The duel is between:

gallery_58096_15019_1161.jpg

Alistair of the Seraphim Knights, armed with terminator armour, storm bolter, relic blade and two rerolls, and

gallery_58096_15019_178.jpg

Volan Rebek of the Blood Owls, armed with cataphractii terminator armour, a combi melta, and chainfist.

Thunder echoed around the stadium as titanic footfalls rang out, threatening to crack the ancient stone beneath them. Alistair and Volan sized each other up. Both fighters of renown within their legion, they were behemoths in their huge terminator armour, both simultaneously unstoppable force and immovable object.

A swift warrior’s salute preceded the chattering of deadly accurate bolt fire from both as the two titans inexorably ground toward one another. A spray of blood from Volan’s armour gave away a flesh wound, while the shimmering glow of Alistairs Iron Halo played around him continuously in response to the tongues of white hot vapour lancing form the Blood Owl’s combi melta, the hiss of superheated air becoming louder as the foce behind increased with decreased distance. The iron halo could no longer take it. Its protective aegis winked out of existence with a clap of sound, and Alistairs storm bolter arm hang lifeless by his side.

With a snarl of rage, Alistair crashed into Volan, the relic blade Angel’s Judgement speared forwards, deflected by the unknowable workings of the ancient cataphractii plate. A second attack was parried by Volan’s chainfist, the stub nose of his combi weapon crashing into Alistairs face. Volan held fire – the aim was not to kill, and such a short range blast on a weakened opponent was dishonourable. As the Seraphim Knight reeled from the attack, The Blood Owl followed up with a chain fist punch to the gut, digging deep enough to sever the servo bundles within the suit.

Warning runes flashed across Alistairs vision, then blinked out. As the suit power failed, he took one last look at the face of the victor: Volan Rebek of the Blood Owls.

Roll by roll:

Captain Alistair of the 1st Company of the Seraphim Knights.

Wielder of the Relic Blade, Angel's Judgment.

Captain in Terminator Armor, Relic Blade, Stormbolter +2 Rerolls = 158 points.

The Former Chapter Master of the Blood Owls, Volan Rebek, (Captain in Cataphracti Armour, with chainfist and combi-melta) totalling 167pts

Roll for Initiative:

Alistair: 3; Volan: 6.

Volan goes first.

Volan moves 4” forward to 14” distance. Melta out of range. Single combi bolter shot hits on 6. Fails to wound on 3. Out of assault range.

Alistair moves 5” forward to 9” range. 4 Storm bolter shots, 2,2,5,6 for 4 hits. Wounds on 1,1,4,5, rerolled to 2,4,5,6. 3 wounds. Rebek rolls 5,2,1 and take a wound!

Alistair attempts to charge. Volan overwatches with rf bolter and melta. Bolter gets 2 hits on 2,5, melta hits on 5. Bolter rolls 1,3, to wound while the melta rolls a 1! Not Volan’s day. Alistair rolls to charge but gets a 7.

Volan turn 2. Moves 4” forward to 5” range. Bolter hits twice on 6,6, while melta hits on 3. Bolter wounds on 4,6, melta wounds on 6! Alistair saves the bolt shots on 5,6, Melta saved on a 4! Volan attempt to charge. Alistairs overwatch hits on 2,3,5,5. 4 wounds on 4,5,5,6, 4 saves on 3,4,5,6. Volan rolls to charge: 1,3, charge failed!

Alistair turn 2: moved 4” to 1” range. 4 storm bolter shots hit on 2,2,5,6. 2 wounds on 2,3,4,6. 1 failed save on 1,2,3,3!

Alistair attempts a charge. Overwatch bolter gets 1 hit on 1,6, rerolled to 1,6. Melts hits on 6. 1 bolter wound on 6,3, melta wounds on 4. Bolter wounds on a 1 to save. Melta wound failed t save on a 2! DD6 pick highest damage results in 4,1 for 4 damage, Alistair has 1 wound remaining.

Alistair cannot fail charge. 4 attacks with Relic blade hits twice on 2,2,3,6. Wounds twice on 3,5. Saved on 5,6. Volan strikes back with the chainfist: 3 hits on 2,3,5,6. 3 wounds on 5,5,6. 2 failed saves on 5,3,1. Alistair is down.

Standings:

gallery_58096_15019_77612.jpg

Edited by Xenith

Great fight!

Though there are some things I noticed. You miswrote Seraphim Knights as Seraphim Nights. And how did they hit overwatch when they didn't roll 6s? Do we shoot overwatch with regular BS in Feast of Blades?

Also could you add the fighter portraits and loadout on top of the posts? I really don't remember them by name so I always have to look them up. :sweat:

All good comments - thanks for the catch on the typo. I can't spend too long on the writeups, otherwise it'll take forever. This didnt get proof read.  

Also could you add the fighter portraits and loadout on top of the posts? I really don't remember them by name so I always have to look them up. :sweat:

The first post also has links to all characters in the Feast :happy.:
Edited by Xenith

All good comments - thanks for the catch on the typo. I can't spend too long on the writeups, otherwise it'll take forever. This didnt get proof read.  

The first post also has links to all characters in the Feast :happy.:

Yeah but it's bothersome to always open a new tab, go to the first page and then switch back and forth between the fighters. Especially on mobile. ;)