Xenith

In this kind of narrative matchup I like to think that “failed charges” are more of feints.

Or the charge is interrupted to sidestep the storm of bolt-shells or melta beams coming their way!

Edit:

As an aside, I'm going to try and keep the fight narrative short. While it's fun to add life to the characters, it's draining and takes quite a while - the idea is that you all fill in the pre-amble and trash talking between your champions, then give their debrief/closing thoughts.

Edited by Xenith

I'm sorry I haven't been very active Xenith. School and work building up, and when you went on Holiday and had your own work build up I kind of slacked off too.

I'll try to get things sorted for a wrap up of the blokes who've already gone!

No problem at all, life has a habit of getting in the way of toy soldiers :happy.:  This is just for a bit of fun and friendly rivalry between chapters, nothing to be taken too seriously. 

I'm sorry I haven't been very active Xenith. School and work building up, and when you went on Holiday and had your own work build up I kind of slacked off too.

I'll try to get things sorted for a wrap up of the blokes who've already gone!

No problem at all, life has a habit of getting in the way of toy soldiers :happy.: This is just for a bit of fun and friendly rivalry between chapters, nothing to be taken too seriously.

Well I'm not. Great writer, but I do so enjoy the aspect of Calen.

Volan Rebek stepped back, choking down the Thirst that flooded through his hearts and his mind. Not today, he promised himself. Not against a Brother of the Blood. He deactivated his chainfist,and allowed his temper to fade with the slowly fading whine of the chainblade. His eyes came to rest on his defeated foe. Alastair had fought well, but Volan had his measure within moments. 

"First blood to you, Brother Alastair." His voice rumbled, the tension of the Owl's internal struggles raw and clear in his voice. Volan stepped forwards to the Seraphim Knight, and knelt in front. He offered his hand to the Captain. "You do honour to me, and to your chapter."

• 2 weeks later...

Do I have time to get more popcorn before the next fight?

Yes, work's hitting me quite hard right now. I'm hoping it calms down next week, but it's severely limiting my ability to invest in free time...

Cool. "My" main event is next so I didn't want to miss it: I've got ringside seats after all!

+++Thought for the day+++

The Feast of Sanguinala is over. The dawn of the new age is here. There is much work to do.

+++END+++

+++ROUND 1, FIGHT 4+++

The duel is between:

gallery_62972_9848_662882.jpg

Commander Raziel, 1st Company, Captain

Wargear: Cataphractii Armour, combi-melta and Relic Blade, one reroll

And

med_gallery_93928_12938_4702.jpg

Brother sergeant Radek 1st Aggressor squad 3rd company

Wargear: Auto boltstorm Gauntlets, Fragstorm grenade launcher, 8(!) Rerolls.

Narrative:

Raziel: Pew pew!

Radek: DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!

Raziel: Fwoosh!

Radek: Ouch!

This was a hell of a fight, I had to go get more dice!

Roll by roll:

Fight 4:

Commander Raziel, 1st Company, Captain in Cataphractii Armour, combi-melta and Relic Blade, one reroll

Brother sergeant Radek 1st Aggressor squad 3rd company

Wargear: Auto boltstorm Gauntlets, Fragstorm grenade launcher

Roll for initiative:

Raziel 5, Radek 3. Raziel goes first.

Raziel moves 4” forwards to 14” away. Out of melta and charge range. Fires bolter. Hits on a 6. Wounds on a 3 rerolled to 5. Saved on a 3. Cannot attempt to charge.

Radek turn 1. I decided to allow the underdog to stand still and use his rules to the fullest. Radek keeps the gap at 14”, but can fire twice.

12 boltstorm shots. 1,1,1,1,4,4,4,4,4,5,6,6 rerolled to 1,2,4,4,4,4,4,4,5,5,6,6 for 10 hits. 1,1,2,3,4,4,5,5,6,6, rerolled to 2,4,4,5,5,5,6,6,6 for 9 wounds.

Fragstorm rolls 11 for number of shots(!) gets 1,1,1,2,3,3,3,3,3,6,6, to hit, 2,2,2,3,3,4,5, to wound for 2 wounds, and 11 wounds total.

Time for Raziel to roll for saves: 1,1,1,2,2,2,4,4,4,5,6, 3 wounds taken!

Raziel moves 4” forwards to 10” distance. Melta hits on 5. Wounds on 2. 3 damage, with no save possible! Radek is down.

Standings:

gallery_58096_12316_95210.jpg
Edited by Xenith

The combi-melta is indeed lethal to those without an invulnerable save, especially to those with few wounds. Still, Radek had a good chance of winning if his impressive shooting had gone better. But that was his only chance. I wonder if the other primaris sergeant will manage to do any better.

Is it just me or is it missing the narrative fight? :huh.:

Feel free to add your own! Work has been murder recently, so in the interest of gettin' 'er done I opted to skip the narrative. 

If Radek had had another round of shooting, it could have been very different - he stripped half of Raziel's wounds in one salvo!

Too bad, the narrative fight is imo the actual interesting part of this whole thing. I can see why it's rather uninteresting for this fight though. The lack of an invul and low wound count makes fights for Sergeants rather short and painful. ^^

Titans clashed upon the arena of the bloodsworn. Calen, could feel his senses tingling with anticipation, his twin hearts beating in rhythm of excitement. The sergeant had fought valiantly, as had all the previous contestants. Calen had waited patiently, but now Gravus yearned for the vibrations of battle. Queran and the rest of his entourage stepped back as the Third Captain to the Carmine Blades stepped heavily onto the rim of the arena. Each of the members of his command squad saluted with Haldrothian honors.

Whispers amongst the crowd of menials turned and dared to glance a look, like the ancient terran born children who looked on from a far distance hoping to catch a glance of their heroes born on a sports field, to steal a glance at the famous Calen, The Blood Hammer. Even the fellow astartes took a moments pause to acknowledge the deeds of this man. For he had bled with them on the sands of Baal, he was a demi-god amongst demi-gods. And his opponent waited eagerly across from him.

The two favored each other in stature and weapons, the beautiful face of Calen to the contrast of the ruby jeweled visage of his helmeted opponent. Calen's red armor reflected like an ominous outline to the red lenses of his opponent. A platinum lock fell across his paled skin as he nodded in the warrior's presence.

Calen then raised Gravus high, bravado- was compelled by the greatness of his brothers and cousins honoring the Feast of Blades. "Honored Brothers! Champions - all! We commence this trade of steel and courage in the name of the Winged Father, and for Baal! Long live the Blood of Sanguinius!"

The hearts of many a champion paced in tachycardic response to his words, and the chanting began. "Blood Hammer! Blood Hammer! Blood Hammer!"

Apologies if I haven't done the characters justice!

You definitely haven't done justice to Radek!

Instead of Radek being: "DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!",

he should have been at least: "DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA, DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA, DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA, FRAG-BANG FRAG-BANG FRAG-BANG FRAG-BANG FRAG-BANG FRAG-BANG FRAG-BANG FRAG-BANG FRAG-BANG, DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA, DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!" 

Apologies if I haven't done the characters justice!

You definitely haven't done justice to Radek!

Instead of Radek being: "DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!",

he should have been at least: "DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA, DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA, DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA, FRAG-BANG FRAG-BANG FRAG-BANG FRAG-BANG FRAG-BANG FRAG-BANG FRAG-BANG FRAG-BANG FRAG-BANG, DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA, DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!"

It was literally a 'Jaws' moment when I rolled that 11 for the frag launcher shots:

"I think I'm gonna need bigger hands".

23 shots a model is enough to convince me to get a unit for my army!