All That Remains: Building a Craftworld

Memento Of Prospero

Evening folks!

I have long entertained the idea of building an Eldar force, but being a loyal subject of the God Emperor has always kept me away from such deviance. I love the concept of wraiths and the communion with the dead aspect of the race.

I have recently acquired 3 Get Started Eldar kits, so I would build on that. It gets me a good stable of wraith units.

Now the tough question is what craftworld do I want to use? Iyanden is the classic choice, but it's trait does not benefit wraith infantry units in any way. So it's grewt for bigger models and tanks.
Ulthwé provides static durability and access to Eldrad. Alatoic protection against long range alpha strikes, but wraith units operate at short range.

Also, how would you kit out these units to work well together? What would your priority purchases to round out the force?

Thank you in advance for the advice :wink:

It depends. If you want to stick strongly with the Wraith theme then Ulthwé will probably work best. A 6+++ save against every wound you take will make it that much harder for your opponent to grind you down.

For Wraithguard, I always take D-scythes as my first unit of choice. These weapons are brutal as they are capable of deleting even elite infantry squads and are only slightly less powerful against vehicles than D-Cannons. They absoluely need a Wave Serpent though so put one of these (or even 3) on your shopping list.

Having said that, D-cannons are normally my second choice. They work well against large targets like monsters and tanks and synergise nicely with the Webway Portal stratagem allowing them to appear close to a priority target and demolish it reliably. A Wave Serpent works well for them but if you are short on points (or cash) the Stratagem is cheaper although it does make them something of a jack-in-the-box unit.

For your third squad, you can either go shooty again or consider Wraithblades. They were not popular in the early days of 8th edition as shooting was king. Now that more CC focussed armies like Nids and Blood Angels are coming out, it may be worth having a unit that can deal with threats in CC. The dual-sword unit makes a great infantry blender squad. If you want something that can hold up heavy units then the Axe/Shield combo may work better. Since your box sets also get you 3 Wraithlords, I would be tempted to leave the heavy hitting to them and keep the Wraithblades with cheap with swords, they can then chop up most targets reasonably effectively. You will need a Wave Serpent again for Wraithblades and a Spiritseer to lead them is not a bad choice.

War Walkers are a great unit to magnetise so that you can vary your weapons between battles. My favourite build for them as as an anti-tank squad with all Brightlances. In this configuration, the squad of 3 makes a perfect unit for your Farseer to cast Guide on as you will get rerolls on all 6 heavy weapons (probably the best use in the game). Their ability to come on from any board edge is golden as it means your opponent will not be able to alpha-strike them if he goes first. Just make sure you have a Farseer within 24" of their planned arrival point for Guide.

That leaves your Wraithlords. You have plenty of anti-tank from the Wraithguard and War Walkers so I find these guys work best if kept cheap and mobile. My favourite build is 2 Shuircan Cannons and and Glaive. You can do either catapults or flamers depending on your points. In this build, you can move and Advance the Wraithlords towards the enemy each turn while still firing the Shuircannons since they are Assault Weapons. As soon as you get close enough, charge into combat and start hitting things with the Glaives. 3 of these bad boys cost under 400 points yet give your opponent a whopping 30 T8 wounds to chew through with a 3+/6+++ save. With an 8+D6" move when Advancing, there is a good chance of them pulling off a Turn 2 charge, even if your opponent is loitering in their deployment zone.

Next up you will probably need at least 2 Wave Serpents for your Warithguard as they are slow moving and short-ranged. I favour keeping them cheap with 3 shuricannons for further anti-infantry firepower.

Between the Wraithlords and Wraithguard you will have enough for a Vanguard and a Spearhead detachment. Only 5 Command points is not great but it will suffice at this level.

One other unit that fits your theme very well is the Hemlock Wraithfighter. This model is a beast and also provides another psyker for your army.

For your next stage moving up, I would recommend getting some Troop units and bulking out your forces with a cheap Battalion. Guardian Defenders are fluffy for Ulthwé and 20 of them popping out of the Webway with 2 platforms and the Black Guardians stratagem will delete even the largest infantry blobs. Dire Avengers suffer slightly from being jacks of all trades and master of none but I find them quite good in a Wave Serpent. Rangers are finecast but are cheap and durable objective sitters who can screen your more valuable units and plink the odd mortal wound off targets. Any mix of these 3 unit types should serve you well. Don't bother with Storm Guardians as they suck.

Hopefuly that gives you some food for thought.

That is quite simply one of the most dynamic and menacing Wraithlord conversions I've ever seen. Bravo!

the first miniature sets the tone, so it's important to make it impactful.

Mission accomplished.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of this army.

That is quite simply one of the most dynamic and menacing Wraithlord conversions I've ever seen. Bravo!

the first miniature sets the tone, so it's important to make it impactful.

Mission accomplished.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of this army.

Thank you very much! Pressure is ramping up quickly up in here :wink:

In regards to wraithblades, should I really bother magnetizing the arms to be able to swap to Axe/shield or just go out and eventually build up to sets of 10 of each style?

Wraithlord #2

The mind is bound to the Path of the Warrior and finds it's strength in the application of the Kata.

-Asurmen, Phoenix Lord

gallery_71633_14249_62377.jpg

gallery_71633_14249_30423.jpg

In regards to wraithblades, should I really bother magnetizing the arms to be able to swap to Axe/shield or just go out and eventually build up to sets of 10 of each style?

That depends entirely on your supply of money and time. I am a bit short of both (3 kids will do that to you :wink: ) so I opted to magnetize mine for flexibility. If you suspect you will be getting multiples eventually then feel free to pick a build a go with it. It's your army after all. :wink:

That depends entirely on your supply of money and time. I am a bit short of both (3 kids will do that to you :wink: ) so I opted to magnetize mine for flexibility. If you suspect you will be getting multiples eventually then feel free to pick a build a go with it. It's your army after all. :wink:

I totally get you, as the father of a one year old girl, all my gaming funds suddenly got rerouted to the war effort. So I'll do 10 magnetized wraith guard and 5 magnetized wraith blades for the time being. Plus, I need to get some guardians mixed in to have actual troop choices before I can justify buying more.

Last but not least, Wraithlord #3 is here. Don't expect this pace to keep up as magnetizing the next few minis will slow me down quite a bit! Time for me to move onto the wraithblades and wraithguard; they may not be so elaborate :wink:

And so is completed the Rule of Three

-Bonesinger Steve from Accounting

gallery_71633_14249_62687.jpg

gallery_71633_14249_7222.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a work in progress picture of my wraith guard.

gallery_71633_14249_144387.jpg

Now, a new problem has risen for me. In deciding to go with a homebrew craftworld, I come up with this scheme. A few friends of mine commented that it would look great alongside Harlequins, as the colours are very flamboyant. So I got a "few" harlequins, and I have to agree with the idea. Here's the twist. I was taking a break from painting and reading about Eldar lore and came up on the craftworld of Lugganath. It's described as little better than a renegade haven and his very close to the harlequins. So now two paths unfold: do I keep going down this road and build a craftworld's history from scratch, trying not to sound like a bad copy of Lugganath or do I change course and go for the newfound craftworld who's lore fits well with the direction I am already taking?

It's main colour is Orange, which I could still split with either purple or turquoise for a personal touch and not start from scratch....

What do you guys think?

If you do go 'Lugganath', for the wraiths at least, you could experiment with the Head being the Orange part to tie them to the CW?

If you do go 'Lugganath', for the wraiths at least, you could experiment with the Head being the Orange part to tie them to the CW?

I fear it will clash with the other two colours without the white to bring balance to the force. So at the minimum I have to replace one or both. Mind you, painting is not really a problem, it's what I do most in the hobby currently, with playing the game being a distant 3rd ;)

Fair enough, but I feel that Orange Eldar are pretty common even if they aren't Lugganath whereas a split scheme of Purple and Turqoise is a bit more unique. Also, if you are planning on painting up Harlies then a Turquoise and Purple checker pattern would be pretty neat.

• 4 weeks later...

I say to go for a home-brew Craftworld. I mean, it's not like Harlequin allies are uncommon for the Craftworlds, and only go with Lugganath. The blue/purple scheme seems like it could tie nicely into being associated with the Ynnari. Not necessarily being Ynnari themselves, perhaps they have some philosophical differences (Ynnead is of the Infinity Circuit, so that is where Eldar souls belong, not stolen by Yvraine and her cult), or don't want to risk their support while Ynnead hasn't fully awoken. Given the focus on Wraith-kind you seem to be having, this is certainly a direction you could go.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived