Captain MAGpie's Stormtalon Walker Conversion Tut & Temp

Woof!  That is a seriously hardcore conversion process.  Looks sweet, though.

Just the cutting part. Once everything is cut, its fairly easy. But does take some time. Well worth it :D And thanks.

As a YUGE fan of Battletech, I approve :thumbsup:

Ill post this guy's heavier brother soon as the paint it dry :D You will like that one :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If only some talented soul could turn these templates into some .stl files for 3d printing.

Rik

Yeah... That would be cool actually. Maybe if I get a bit of spare time I will look into it. Just no idea how to yet :biggrin.:

How did you draw up the templates? I'd love some more detail on the engineering process that went into them.

Well, basically a lot of measuring, paper prototypes, more measuring, and more paper. Tell you what, if you can give me more details on what exactly you would like to know I can do a proper write up for you? 

That must have been one steady hand on the cutting. It looks absolutely seamless, great work!

I wish! Would save me hours of filing :biggrin.: But thank you :smile.:

If only some talented soul could turn these templates into some .stl files for 3d printing.

Rik

Yeah... That would be cool actually. Maybe if I get a bit of spare time I will look into it. Just no idea how to yet :biggrin.:

I have a friend who may well be up to the task, assuming you don't mind?

Rik

How did you draw up the templates? I'd love some more detail on the engineering process that went into them.

Well, basically a lot of measuring, paper prototypes, more measuring, and more paper. Tell you what, if you can give me more details on what exactly you would like to know I can do a proper write up for you?

Well, whenever I've tried anything like this, I can put together a 3d model of what I want in the computer (e.g. SketchUp or similar) but then I can't work out how to 'unfold' the 3d shape to get a 2d template with the correct angles and dimensions for angled plates.

It sounds like you're actually building physical prototypes rather than a virtual model?

Any kind of step-by-step that shows the process leading up to where the great tutorials you've already posted start would be awesome!

Rik

I have a friend who may well be up to the task, assuming you don't mind?

Rik

Not at all. Would love to see it myself.

Well, whenever I've tried anything like this, I can put together a 3d model of what I want in the computer (e.g. SketchUp or similar) but then I can't work out how to 'unfold' the 3d shape to get a 2d template with the correct angles and dimensions for angled plates.

It sounds like you're actually building physical prototypes rather than a virtual model?

Any kind of step-by-step that shows the process leading up to where the great tutorials you've already posted start would be awesome!

Ok, give me a couple of days. Leme see what I can come up with. As it is, I am working on something right now. May use that as a base.

• 3 weeks later...

Any kind of step-by-step that shows the process leading up to where the great tutorials you've already posted start would be aweso

Just an Update, Golf. Been busy at work, so have not had a lot of time, but I have been working on it since yesterday. Hope to have it up by the weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...

That is brilliant! Thank you very much captain_magpie, that is definitely a Hall-of-Fame level tutorial.

It actually brings back memories of long-ago tech drawing classes seeing the 3-view again. PowerPoint might even be a better option than 3D modelling software but when I have time towards the end of the year I will have a crack with SketchUp and see if I can work out how to do something similar with that.

You are most welcome :)

That is brilliant! Thank you very much captain_magpie, that is definitely a Hall-of-Fame level tutorial.

It actually brings back memories of long-ago tech drawing classes seeing the 3-view again. PowerPoint might even be a better option than 3D modelling software but when I have time towards the end of the year I will have a crack with SketchUp and see if I can work out how to do something similar with that.

Motivated by your excellent tutorial, I did a little more hunting and it seems that there are unfolding plugins for SketchUp now. However they do assume that the material you're working with has no thickness, so in the end the process would become very similar with a lot of card prototyping to work out the kinks. Plus of course you have to model a dimensionally accurate base vehicle, which is not a trivial task!

Archived