Project Durandal, a new generation of Battle Tank

LaLongCarabine

What an adorable little tank you've created there mate. I'm a bit late to the party so this comment is just gonna skim over.... well everything.

The change to the lower tracks was a massive upgrade so good job on that. Takes some nerve to change a design when you're already that far into it.

The exaggerated abrahams style turret works remarkably well, the front of the hull however feels like it is missing something to me shape wise. Maybe throwing in some sort of shape next to the heavy bolter will tie it in more with the established 40k style.(like the chimera front for example.)

Other than that I think you're well on your way to getting something that will pass as GW to a casual onlooker. What really helped me when making the Sagittarius land raider tracks look original was copying small design clues that GW sprinkles over their designs like Halloween candy. If you're interested I can grab some screenshots with dimensions from Solidworks. Of course these are marine design cues and they might not work with the guard aesthetic.

Now that I mention the guard aesthetic I think all guard tanks have some sort of raised angular platform that their turret sits on, adding that might have a huge impact on the design.(or make it look silly, who knows.) 

Yeah nerve is one word for it, insanity is another, either works. New Hull additions below.

Yeah I've noticed the raised platform but decided to shy away from it as it's one of the WWI holdovers that I'm kinda doing away with.

I'm hoping that with stowage and a good unified paint scheme the design as is will blend right in besides guard infantry and sentinels (yet another model I've considered redoing)

I think the foward gun, sensor, CROWS sensor cluster, and hatch sizes, along with the general proportions will allow players to sit this in existing armies with little to no issue. Then again I'm also considering doing heavy weapon mules and weapons so blending in is a lot easier when more the army looks like you than you like it.

tumblr_p7ysyhjCqk1u4coygo1_1280.png

tumblr_p7ysyhjCqk1u4coygo2_1280.png

tumblr_p7ysyhjCqk1u4coygo3_r1_1280.png

The third picture has the sensor raised up some and I think it suits the design more. Next I think are the forward running lights.

And please do keep the feedback comming, no need to skim, dig right in.

Hate double posting but need to actually update the thread.

Small update, got some tank greeblies that I think make good running lights

tumblr_p84oaooQPG1u4coygo1_1280.png
tumblr_p84oaooQPG1u4coygo2_1280.png

I think with that we're done with the hull.

I'm considering as an aftermarket kit, designing sponson mounted weapons (think marine ones with auto targeting) that can attach onto the side armor plates of the tank. What do you folks think, who's interested in traditional sponson mounted weapons.

Also considering final names for the tank itself (and the next 2 projects). Option one is to name the tank after the project and run with that theme
Battle tank: Durandal
Superheavy : Joyeuse
APC: Curtana

Option 2 is to name projects for the blades and the tanks themselves for the wielders.
Battle tank: Roland
Superheavy: Charlemagne
APC: Ogier

Good news is some parts are finished and have been handed over to the printer owner for production. This is soon to be reality, Praise the Omnisiah!

Thougts, comment's, critiques, concerns?

I love it. The sensor and lights do a great job of detailing the front without being too obstrusive, and the sensor/heavy bolter setup does a good job of tying into the existing GW tanks.

As far as naming goes, I personally thinking naming them after the wielders sounds better.

I’m excited to see your take on sponson-mounted weapons, but can’t help but feel like they might make the profile of the tank less streamlined. That being said, something like the CROWS turret could look good and not alter the overall shape too much. Incidentally, I forgot to call it out in my last post, but I adore the lascannon design you’ve made. What was the inspiration behind that?

Okay tiny update, started doing the pilot holes for magnets now. Going for 1/8th x 1/16th (yes there's some wiggle room)

tumblr_p84ohsA2Ox1u4coygo3_1280.png
tumblr_p84ohsA2Ox1u4coygo1_1280.png
tumblr_p84ohsA2Ox1u4coygo2_1280.png
tumblr_p84ohsA2Ox1u4coygo4_1280.png

So as of now the design allows for magnetizing of the turret, CROWS, and main guns are hot swappable, hope you enjoy.

Also the turret for now is being designed as a plug so it will wedge in pretty well without any magnets (we hope).

Sorry to those of you using metric but 1/8 x 1/16 is the standard size magnets I use so....

Praise the omnisiah, next up will be the finishing touches on the CROWS, tribarrel and plasma! Melta CROWS has been put on the back burner due to a lack of interest and use.

Still planning on ballistic, gatling, and plasma as getting designed for release while I'm also contemplating an accelerator cannon as an alternate battle cannon for just looks.

I'm also finally getting to a place where I can start taking commissions if people are interested in custom rhino/LR doors as soon as I confirm my sculpted ones are appropriate size.

I love it. The sensor and lights do a great job of detailing the front without being too obstrusive, and the sensor/heavy bolter setup does a good job of tying into the existing GW tanks.

As far as naming goes, I personally thinking naming them after the wielders sounds better.

I’m excited to see your take on sponson-mounted weapons, but can’t help but feel like they might make the profile of the tank less streamlined. That being said, something like the CROWS turret could look good and not alter the overall shape too much. Incidentally, I forgot to call it out in my last post, but I adore the lascannon design you’ve made. What was the inspiration behind that?

Well you can see the base crows in some of the later pictures already but I've pretty much got the design finished for the tribarrel and the plasma.

The lascannon was inspired by the skitarii balistari's because the standard pattern has been done to death with guard and marines.

Okay for today we have a nice progress report on the finalized design of the CROWS tribarrel and an image of the new hangers on the back of the turret.

tumblr_p857jjGscE1u4coygo3_1280.png
tumblr_p857jjGscE1u4coygo2_1280.png
tumblr_p857jjGscE1u4coygo1_1280.png
tumblr_p857jjGscE1u4coygo4_1280.png

Here's the hangers on the back of the turret, each is only 4mm long, 1mm wide, and 1mm thick, very very easy to cut off or sand off, but designed to be sculpted over or have stowage placed on top of.

tumblr_p84omaTtL81u4coygo1_1280.png

I like the hangers since they're nice and tiny and from table distance look like the old welded on loops of cable onto the side to hand gear off of.

Now we just need the plasma CROWS, and the other primary guns.

Had a request for exterminator autocannon setup. I'm not sure if it's really desired but I'll probably do it anyways since it'll be super easy to fit in autocannons where the lascannons will sit on the same mantlet.

Update for today folks is the wonderful funderful nightmare that is super excited gas, our dear friend Plasma!

Here we have the initial plasma design for our CROWS system.
tumblr_p86iplIfIf1u4coygo3_1280.png

Redesigned Plasma caster
tumblr_p8bxr08jLz1u4coygo3_1280.png
tumblr_p8bxr08jLz1u4coygo1_1280.png
tumblr_p8bxr08jLz1u4coygo2_1280.png
tumblr_p8bxr08jLz1u4coygo4_1280.png

And next we have even more plasma!

tumblr_p8car3ffhy1u4coygo6_1280.png
tumblr_p8car3ffhy1u4coygo1_500.png
tumblr_p8car3ffhy1u4coygo2_1280.png
tumblr_p8car3ffhy1u4coygo3_540.png
tumblr_p8car3ffhy1u4coygo4_1280.png
tumblr_p8car3ffhy1u4coygo5_1280.png

We welcome the burning cleansing fire provided to us.

I might redesign the main cannon to be shorter but for now it's where it is. And now having the prints for some of the parts I can say that the CROWS weapons are about the size of an infanry heavy weapon. (because I don't believe that a vehicle heavy weapon should be any bigger than an infantry one)

Next up folks, a laser weapon, or maybe the gatling, not sure which I'll find the motivation for next.

I've been silently watching this till now, pretty impressed with how much it has developed. But I'll comment now to say this; don't shorten the plasma. I don't know why but that long plasma turret looks amazing, and much more of a dedicated tank weapon than the awkward stubby things you see on getting turrets.

Ooh, I love the new plasma caster design. The angled top looks much beefier, and i’m still in love with the tri-barreled look. That said, I’m not sold on the plasma main gun; it feels just a little too big imo. The cannon is just slim enough that it blurs the line between a more realistic weapon and 40k’s special brand of exaggerated proportions, but somehow the plasma pushes it over the edge. This gripe might be because it’s a 3d render, though, which makes it hard for me to figure out the scale. With the chunkier plasma cannon i’m getting a 6mm vibe from the model in terms of proportions, which i don’t think is what you’re going for. Maybe dropping the underbarrel sensors (?) would help slim it down some?

I've been silently watching this till now, pretty impressed with how much it has developed. But I'll comment now to say this; don't shorten the plasma. I don't know why but that long plasma turret looks amazing, and much more of a dedicated tank weapon than the awkward stubby things you see on getting turrets.

Well that's one for bigger plasma.

Ooh, I love the new plasma caster design. The angled top looks much beefier, and i’m still in love with the tri-barreled look. That said, I’m not sold on the plasma main gun; it feels just a little too big imo. The cannon is just slim enough that it blurs the line between a more realistic weapon and 40k’s special brand of exaggerated proportions, but somehow the plasma pushes it over the edge. This gripe might be because it’s a 3d render, though, which makes it hard for me to figure out the scale. With the chunkier plasma cannon i’m getting a 6mm vibe from the model in terms of proportions, which i don’t think is what you’re going for. Maybe dropping the underbarrel sensors (?) would help slim it down some?

....And that's one against.

For the record I did want the plasma cannon to look good and sci-fiy and I'm still finding a nice balance between GW cartoony and realistic size.

Progress report time folks. Today we're making headway on our laser cannon.

tumblr_p8fhlcDtub1u4coygo1_1280.png

tumblr_p8fhlcDtub1u4coygo2_1280.png

tumblr_p8fhlcDtub1u4coygo3_1280.png

The top and bottom are kinda plain which I'm trying to work on but so far I'm coming up empty. Lemme know what you guys think.

also...

BEHOLD!

tumblr_p8fmnjcw8y1u4coygo1_1280.jpg

The first parts printed and cleaned. Big thank you to GorFrag for the prepwork, most of the parts came out great. Notable exceptions are that the tribarrel turned out crooked, the hatches have print issues and the CROWS walls have print issues interfering with the brace holes. Issues have been addressed and should be replaced by end of the week.

Also may have to redo the sponson's due to issues with the rivets.

Another quick reply from me:

The running light things on the hull look good but you still need some detailing between them if you want to achieve that GW level of detail.

I'd suggest something similar to the macharius tank, a big bar bolted onto the hull with maybe bolts. Should print fine and you can have the running lights be a part of the bar but still stick out.

Also throw some fillets between that three barreled plasma gun. I'd go with some fairly drastic ones since that is the direction gw decided to take with the redemptor dread but even a mm will make it stop looking like just three plasma guns strapped together and stuck on a circular plate.

Today's update is here folks, time for fun with lasers and dakka!

First we have the finalized design for the twin laser cannon
tumblr_p8jc1vUF6S1u4coygo1_1280.png

And now we have the last of the initial weapon production, I bring you the defender cannon.

tumblr_p8jc1vUF6S1u4coygo2_1280.png
tumblr_p8jc1vUF6S1u4coygo3_1280.png
tumblr_p8jc1vUF6S1u4coygo4_r1_1280.png

Folks that's it, here's all 4 side by side

tumblr_p8jc1vUF6S1u4coygo5_r1_1280.png

From here on out I'll be trying to update with printed parts and maybe I'll continue to work on alternate barrel designs. I'm also considering designing alternate CROWS designs and possible sponson mounted side weapons (as an alternate to the CROWS).

Still taking ideas as the machine god isn't done with me yet. Also I have one more surprise for you folks.
tumblr_p8jczxZjC91u4coygo1_1280.png
tumblr_p8jczxZjC91u4coygo2_1280.png

I now have a modular hand for marines. meaning designing new weapons should be rather easy now.

No Demolisher cannon? Or did 8th Edition rules and stats render the weapon useless, compared to the battle cannon and Vanquisher cannon?

Yeah I haven't even heard of anyone useing a demolisher cannon lately, but I'm sure if you want you can use one of the alternate barrels I'm designing as a nice proxy.

Speaking of which.

All of the base parts are off to the printer and for now we're only waiting on the sponsons to finish printing (goal is for them to finish by tuesday and start casting on wednsday/thursday)

For today we have for you one of the alternate barrels I promised.

I now give you the Rail cannon, for all your armor penetrating needs.

tumblr_p8p0kvO1Wc1u4coygo1_1280.png

tumblr_p8p0kvO1Wc1u4coygo2_1280.png

Progress is moving along and I'm looking to start actually building an army with these bricks around the week after next.

Wow, that railgun is stylish. Very Halo. I love that two-handed power sword as well, it’s a nice change from the Grey Knight force swords that we all use.

Eh try going back a decade or two for the inspiration here. Google "timberwolf" and "mech" and you'll see what I mean. Not that I don't like halo, I love it, just always gotta remember that halo is quite derivative in itself.

This may have been answered before or just be a silly question but are you going to put it on shapeways?

No if I was to put this on shapeways it would cost upwards of $500 usd to get this level of detail. I will however be selling these for Sub forgeworld prices (no way I'm going to price at their level, that's stupid)

With those out of the way, printing update folks!

Got about 3/4 of the parts back from the printer's so far so we're almost there.

tumblr_p8slz37mze1u4coygo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_p8slz37mze1u4coygo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_p8slz37mze1u4coygo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_p8slz37mze1u4coygo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_p8slz37mze1u4coygo6_1280.jpg

Also here we have a finished piece of marine goodness

tumblr_p8slz37mze1u4coygo1_1280.jpg

Only waiting on cleanup and 2-4 more main weapons and the sponsons before we can start casting. Resin and rubber have been delivered.

The design of the hand means I can now design all sorts of custom weapons from melee to ranged oh AND SHIELDS! Oh god I can now do shields, viking round shields here I come.

Goal is to have the first 11 (my company) done by the end of May or early June. Sale production to start mid June, hope you guys are excited as I am.

Now we have a treat for you folks.

tumblr_p8woafeP7r1u4coygo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_p8woafeP7r1u4coygo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_p8woafeP7r1u4coygo3_1280.jpg
tumblr_p8woafeP7r1u4coygo4_1280.jpg

Now several pieces of this setup will have to be reprinted (thank the omnisiah for connections) due to misprints. The underside of the turret is a mess, the hull was a bit warped (growing pains due to issues in my measurements). I didn't account for proper tolerances when designing this beast (Still wanna name one of these things "The Beast"). I've added a .3mm tolerance to all connection points with the turret and the upper and lower hulls. I'm considering reprinting the sponsons as well but thats because the trackguards on the inside of each one need to be rebuilt. Lotta trouble for this prototype but it's coming along.

When the first two casts come out I'm considering taking pre-orders. Trying to gauge interest, already got 4 guys locally who want multiple so there's that.already. I'm hoping to recoup the costs of production. Printing, silicone and resin is pushing $600 total so it's a pretty sizable investment.

Trying to decide whether to go next to the superheavy (Joyeuse) or the the transport (Curtana). Who wants what folks?

How many components will the tank and the transport share? Will they be like the Russian T-14 and T-15, i.e., the transport puts the tank's drive system (tracks, suspension, engine and transmission) in the front of a new hull, giving itself room for a rear access point? Will there be other similarities, e.g., there's an amphibious variant of the tank (though Toughness may be compromised to grant this ability), or the transport shares the tank's toughness (the Leman Russ' T 8, as opposed to the Chimera's T 7)?

How many components will the tank and the transport share? Will they be like the Russian T-14 and T-15, i.e., the transport puts the tank's drive system (tracks, suspension, engine and transmission) in the front of a new hull, giving itself room for a rear access point? Will there be other similarities, e.g., there's an amphibious variant of the tank (though Toughness may be compromised to grant this ability), or the transport shares the tank's toughness (the Leman Russ' T 8, as opposed to the Chimera's T 7)?

Likely the shared parts will all be internal and not reflected in the model design outside of aesthetic.

So tiny update today.

Who wants a power gun?

tumblr_p8u3pmnVq81u4coygo1_1280.png

tumblr_p8u3pmnVq81u4coygo2_1280.png

I figure this will serve as a nice alternate barrel for people to use as whatever they want.

Here we have a comparison shot of all 6 guns so far.

tumblr_p91wmdQYuK1u4coygo1_1280.png

So just a tiny update to slake your thirst while I wait for my redone prints to get finished.

So does anyone think a 6 grand profit goal is insane?

The "power gun" doesn't look very different from the battle cannon, making it seem redundant. If you extend the barrel, distinguishing it the way the Vanquisher cannon distinguishes itself from the battle cannon, then it would be worthwhile.

Why is the printing so expensive? Shouldn't be nearly that much. Are your weapons and turret solid masses? Biggest costs in printing are materials in many cases. Shelling out the parts and adding a hole somewhere hidden like the bottom of the turret where it meets the tank base should significantly reduce the printing costs if you haven't done that already.

I've had a lot of larger, more detailed, prototypes printed for work and something this size I wouldn't think would be that expensive.

Archived