Project Durandal, a new generation of Battle Tank

LaLongCarabine

The "power gun" doesn't look very different from the battle cannon, making it seem redundant. If you extend the barrel, distinguishing it the way the Vanquisher cannon distinguishes itself from the battle cannon, then it would be worthwhile.

The power gun is an omage to a specific series and even more particular someones fanart of said series. Also it's there for people who want something more sci-fi looking than the battle cannon, also it's there as another barrel that doesn't explicitly look like another specific weapons so people can say it is whatever they want.

I absolutely adore the power gun. I don’t have much business know-how, so no idea what the potential profits could be, but the models are a delight.

Well right now costs are running fairly high per model making retail production kinda difficult.

Why is the printing so expensive? Shouldn't be nearly that much. Are your weapons and turret solid masses? Biggest costs in printing are materials in many cases. Shelling out the parts and adding a hole somewhere hidden like the bottom of the turret where it meets the tank base should significantly reduce the printing costs if you haven't done that already.

I've had a lot of larger, more detailed, prototypes printed for work and something this size I wouldn't think would be that expensive.

The formlabs form 2 uses resin cartridges of 1 liter, and they cost $150. And the turret cannot be hollow with an SLA style printer as it will need to create a myriad of supports on the inside which will be impossible to remove. I do have some ideas to redo the turret but for now it's the only solid piece clocking in around 74ml which is about $11.10 in material cost, and since this isn't my printer I pay 100% material fee as profit, resulting in a $22 piece. This same piece from shapeways in less detail and more cleanup needed while solid is over $70, even hollowed out it wouldn't cost as cheap as I'm getting from my current source.

Honestly the whole print would've only cost me $100 if I'd gotten all the parts right on the first go, but sadly I've made some mistakes and so has the printer so we're going 50/50 on some parts while I may end up reprinting the sponsons ($25 for both in material cost alone meaning a $50 printing cost). All in all I'm probably going to finish up at about $200 for reprints and extra parts, (all six cannons along with 2 marine doors for another project)

Again my entire costs would be halved in case I owned my own printer (hint hint) but a form 2 costs between 3 and 4 grand base, not counting the wash, not counting the cure box (and yes I know I could make my own box but that's an amount of work I'm not interested in.) or the better resin tray, or the resin needed. Add in support package and warranty and you're looking down the barrel of just under 6 grand which is the magic number I'd need to make in profit for a kickstarter to be worth it in my mind.

I'd love to be able to rapid prototype and test fit parts before screwing myself by printing whole pieces but alas I don't have access to the printer to experiment with.

Okay so we're now waiting on printing resin so all work on the Durandal has halted so crap (blame lies with the owner and the renter of the printer not able to figure out who gets access to what amount of resin). We got around a week wait time (3 day delivery for resin and another 2-3 days to get around to printing and syncing up a time to retrieve parts).

In the meantime I finally pulled my head out of my fourth point of contact and started grasping ideas for the Curtana Infantry Fighting Vehicle.

tumblr_p95yi30iuW1u4coygo1_1280.png

Depending on how it turns out I may shrink the driver's hatch or adjust the turret ring.

Still not sure if I wanna have two hatches on the turret or one.

Also going to mount the formerly hull mounted gun as a coaxial gun on the turret cause to hell with hull guns.

The internal concept is that there is no actual turret basket just some grips and hanging belt seats for the gunners so they can sit up in the hatch while still leaving room underneath for passengers to sit facing each other on the sides.

Yeah it doesn't work well but I'm struggling with space on this vehicle while keeping certain dimensions.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I've let this thread languish but we've had issues with printing etc, but we're back on track and likely to start the casting process this week!

tumblr_p9vd8qjLqW1u4coygo3_1280.jpg
tumblr_p9vd8qjLqW1u4coygo4_1280.jpg
tumblr_p9vd8qjLqW1u4coygo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_p9vd8qjLqW1u4coygo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_p9vd8qjLqW1u4coygo5_1280.jpg
tumblr_p9vd8qjLqW1u4coygo8_1280.jpg
tumblr_p9vd8qjLqW1u4coygo6_1280.jpg
tumblr_p9vd8qjLqW1u4coygo7_1280.jpg

(GW model shown only for size comparison.)

HAH!

Also

tumblr_p9fki13xKr1u4coygo1_1280.png
tumblr_p9fki13xKr1u4coygo2_1280.png

Stowage containers both open and closed for you folks who want more junk in your trunk!

Also notice the Duke on the left side of the tank, normally in real life it's an anti IED measure, but I figure it functions nicely as a command signifier. Also contimplating doing an antenna mount but no antenna (I want to let people put in their own cheap brass wire as the actual antenna)

Now what else do you guys want? as I finish accessories for the tank?

The hunter-killer missile launcher will get in the remote weapon station's way when the latter traverses to engage a target at its side. I still want the option of mounting the missile launcher on the RWS side.

The 3D-printed Durandal battle tank still looks great, though.

The hunter-killer missile launcher will get in the remote weapon station's way when the latter traverses to engage a target at its side. I still want the option of mounting the missile launcher on the RWS side.

The 3D-printed Durandal battle tank still looks great, though.

The Launcher fits in either side of the turret and it's baseplate is a flat 1mm surface so it could theoretically even be mounted 90 degrees over on the side of the turret or hull.

I may be interested in one of these.

Well we look forward to getting into production at the end of this month and into next month.

So.... How much is the fish?

Pricing will be discussed once I'm sure the molds turn out okay

Damn, that looks amazing

Thank you, I endeavor for quality.

Well we just poured the Silicone on the primary tank hull and turret today! Obligations are separating me from the casting work for about 2 weeks comming up but my contractor is going to continue work on pouring silicone and preparing molds. Hopefully we can start taking orders before the end of the month.

Honestly I want to have a base production model (missing most of the extras) knocked out by Thursday evening.

And now for fun. Some have asked for primed pictures so here we go.

tumblr_pa8owdwPEs1u4coygo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pa8owdwPEs1u4coygo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_pa8owdwPEs1u4coygo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_pa8owdwPEs1u4coygo10_1280.jpg

tumblr_pa8owdwPEs1u4coygo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pa8owdwPEs1u4coygo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_pa8owdwPEs1u4coygo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_pa8owdwPEs1u4coygo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_pa8owdwPEs1u4coygo8_1280.jpg

I also wanted to show how the turret sits in the ring. It's a plug shape that once painted should have enough friction to sit tight while the tank is turned upside down. And if it doesn't there's a magnet pilot hole in both the turret and the hull, as well as the turret weighs enough that even with the weight of the main gun it won't tip forward on the table.

tumblr_pa8owdwPEs1u4coygo4_1280.jpg

I'm reserving taking any kind of pre orders until we have actual product that we can show off and be sure that all molds turn out okay.

Also by the way I'm looking for someone to assist with another project of mine. If you're a decent artist who likes doing tech I'm having issues with mechanical design on a mech.

The task continues fellows. We continue on.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so we've hit a stumbling point but we should be back on track to hopefully start production next week.... hopefully.

tumblr_pb1voi7wmT1u4coygo1_1280.jpg

Here we have my contractor setting up the models pour plugs in preparation for boxing. Still haven't heard back from zealot miniatures regarding casting services.

So as of now I'm looking for a casting service so my current contractor can have a break. Also I'm on the search for a mech designer, I'm trying to get some commissioned artwork so I can start designing my next project.

So the molds have been re-poured and are setting much better than last time. We're not gonna call this stage done yet but it's progress.

Also now we have pictures of the stowage container masters pre-cleanup.

tumblr_pb3tp00XDH1u4coygo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_pb3tp00XDH1u4coygo3_1280.jpg
tumblr_pb3tp00XDH1u4coygo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_pb3tp00XDH1u4coygo4_1280.jpg
tumblr_pb3tp00XDH1u4coygo5_1280.jpg

The empty one will be available empty or possibly with pre filled with stowage. I'm considering making a case or two along with a jerry can as extras to tuck in and strap down.

I'm crossing my fingers with being able to produce by the end of next week.

Still looking for a good concept artist for hire that can do mech.

This is legitimately amazing. I love it.

Well I'm glad you like, hopefully you'll be able to take one home with you soon.

Minor update, primary molds are now cured and will get cut into soon. Scheduling initial mold test of all 15 molds to commence around Thursday next week.

Higher powers willing that means production will proceed in the following days (at the rate of 2-8 units a week) and pre-orders the week after that. Probably looking at taking the first 50 orders with a 2-3 month lead time (cut us some slack, casters aren't getting back to us and it's one guy with one pot for now.) Any orders after the first 50 will be placed on a wait-list and be emailed when we complete the first set.

Right now we're planning on including both plasma and tribarrel in a single CROWS kit (your Newer, Better form of sponson mounted weaponry!) which will allow you to assemble a single CROWS set.

The Common antenna, closed stowage containers and the missile launcher will be bundled together as a single accessory pack.

The main tank will include both machine gun and laser cannon forward weapons and a single primary weapon.

Additional primary weapons will be available a la carte.

Dozer blades may or may not be coming, stay tuned.

Also possible flamethrower forward mount and maser CROWS.

For now to tide you folks over I have pictures of the CROWS fitting and rotating well in it's socket.

tumblr_pb3tvdOA4N1u4coygo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pb3tvdOA4N1u4coygo1_1280.jpg

It's smooth as silk and fits right in, a layer of paint will hold it snug and remember there are pilot holes both in the turret and in the CROWS mount specifically to center your magnets.

Whats that, you don't like the CROWS? Want your sponson mounted weaponry back? Too bad! Here at Aegis Heavy Works, Luddites are used as fuel.

Okay folks, the primary assembly has been molded, and they look pretty clean (we'll know more by tomorrow). The second batch (hatches, barrels, CROWS etc) has been poured and should have our initial piece on Thursday. This does mean we are still on track for pre orders next week, I still have to get these things measured to see if they can flat ship in the US and how much they'll cost for overseas shipping (I'll probably work it out as a flat rate based on average cost).

As usual I'm still looking for art assistance on a mech project, and also I'm looking for references regarding resin casters (no chinese sources please). Still waiting to hear back from Zealot Miniatures regarding production capability. We just bought a second casting pot and will eventually produce a second set of molds allowing us to double production thus reducing processing times (currently estimating 2-3 months from pre order, I'm doubting that we'll be producing a mass of these with the expectation of building up stock)

Progress continues!

Here's your update folks! Tanks are in production... well testing production at least.

tumblr_pbf4plB9rY1u4coygo7_1280.jpg
tumblr_pbf4plB9rY1u4coygo4_1280.jpg
tumblr_pbf4plB9rY1u4coygo6_1280.jpg
tumblr_pbf4plB9rY1u4coygo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_pbf4plB9rY1u4coygo5_1280.jpg
tumblr_pbf4plB9rY1u4coygo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_pbf4plB9rY1u4coygo3_1280.jpg

We're working out some bubble issues and one or two mold issues, but so far it's looking good.

Plan is still in place, keep your eyes here for next week.

Still waiting to hear from Zealot miniatures, would love to have this whole production bit done by someone else.

• 2 weeks later...

Well good news, good news, and side news folks.

Zealot miniatures and I are now talking and if they can match or undercut my costs for productions I can soon start buying batches of tanks quickly! Unfortunately I'll have to provide a master for them as they want over $700 to print the tank from the files up. The downside of this is that production will be paused while I wait to finish working with them.

2nd good news, I've bought a second casting pot so if things don't take off with Zealot hopefully we can setup a second set of molds to increase production.

Meh news is I'm now working on some infantry designs to go along with the armor since I can't manage the design on the mech. First up is a nice plasma rifle that's currently at scale for powered armor infantry but will be scaled down for base infantry.

tumblr_pc5jrqBwr21u4coygo1_1280.png

I'm hoping you folks will be patient with me while I work with casters in order to deliver a better quality product in a greater volume.

I'm also looking for other casters than Zealot, it never hurts to have more options.

Also still looking for an artist to assist in mech design as that's still a back burner project.

Ok, I'm digging the tank design and if you sell these at or just under GW's LR price I'll be picking up a squad at least.

As for the mech project, what type of artistic help are you looking for?

Ok, I'm digging the tank design and if you sell these at or just under GW's LR price I'll be picking up a squad at least.

As for the mech project, what type of artistic help are you looking for?

Price is discussed below, sadly resin is just flat out more expensive to manufacture in than plastic per unit. Plus I can't make it up in the kind of volume they deal in.

Project wise I'm looking to design a nice 6" tall mech but I need an artist to help me get the design down before I turn it into a model.

I just noticed that your track links are little aquilas. That's a great touch!

Okay, totally not intentional, they're just designed after some old tank tracks off an M-1

Coming in late to the design idea but, if you were to turn the rail cannon turret sideways it would look great imo.

The cannon is specifically designed of another artist's work and I wanted something that was distinctly different from the Tau tank rail gun.

So for this update I have four things for you. First is that I'm waiting on shipping estimates from Zealot, yeah really hyped, we've got casting estimates and numbers setting up.

Second is our pricing (subject to change,)

Durandal Main Battle Tank is $59.99 (Comes with main cannon and both hull weapons)

Each extra primary weapon is $7.99 (may be purchased separately)

Each CROW system is 14.99 (may be assembled as single piece, either ballistic or plasma)

And the accessory package is 12.99 (comes with Missile launcher, stowage container, and commo equipment)

Normally for the whole package that would be $127.92 but for anyone buying a full set it'll go for $114.99 (sadly thanks to congress I do have to charge tax on the internet now.)

Third is that considering that I'm getting shipping estimates I'm asking for anyone who's interested in getting one or more of these tanks in the next 3-4 months to please PM me with an amount. I need to build an estimate on how many of these suckers I'm going to need and shipping overseas is a pain in the carcass time wise.

Fourth is I've got some prints in the works on the small scale allowing me to give you folks something to stare at and enjoy (and also that I can get cast up much faster and on my own compared to the tank).

Grizzly Carbine

tumblr_pcatii2wcC1u4coygo4_1280.png

With hand

tumblr_pcatii2wcC1u4coygo1_1280.png

With sight A

tumblr_pcatii2wcC1u4coygo2_1280.png

With sight B

tumblr_pcatii2wcC1u4coygo6_r1_1280.png

Plasma rifle

tumblr_pcatii2wcC1u4coygo7_r1_1280.png

Nice Hand axe for a close combat weapon

tumblr_pce8tkuO1I1u4coygo1_500.png

Shortsword

tumblr_pce8tkuO1I1u4coygo2_500.png

Bastard Sword

tumblr_pce8tkuO1I1u4coygo3_540.png

Remember to hit me up with those PMs if you want me to start marking you down. If I don't know you want one I wont know to order enough!

The 3D models are nice, and I hate to be "that guy" but:

Shortsword

tumblr_pce8tkuO1I1u4coygo2_500.png

Bastard Sword

tumblr_pce8tkuO1I1u4coygo3_540.png

That's a gladius and a longer gladius mate :lol:

I mean, yes, a gladius is a type of shortsword, but it's very visibly distinct compared to other shortswords. As to the 'bastard sword', I'd extend the blade just a tad, as right now its still too short for a bastard sword (which is between a shortsword and proper longsword in length).

• 3 months later...

Behold I'm not dead, just stuck in a holding pattern while dealing with professional casters.

While you folks wait I do have some small changes I've made to the base structure which you may or may not like.

I've centered the driver and moved the heavy weapons from hull mounted to coaxial position.

tumblr_phaei8MNQe1u4coygo1_1280.png
tumblr_phaei8MNQe1u4coygo2_1280.png
tumblr_phaei8MNQe1u4coygo3_1280.png

For those who want to use the turrets for leman russ tanks you'll have to just stuff some green stuff into the coax port then just sand over the plug. This fix is super easy compared to adjusting the turret plug so good luck.

Archived