Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Necromunda inconsistencies result of deadlines and lack Q&A

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,156 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
This is pretty much what I suspected, the company setting unrealistic deadlines, then designer quits, his less experienced sub tries to juggle even tighter deadlines, there's no time for editing, the company refuses to consult the previous designer and forces a release of a shoddy quality product that will need to be improved upon as time goes by.

I love the GW editing team and their social media / marketing bunch are pure geniuses, but the business side of the company are the usual little :cusss I'd expect from any large corporation.

This is, reportedly by an insider, found on yaktribe.
hMgLa38.jpg
  • totgeboren and sfPanzer like this

Threefold Brush Studio Cheap! Fast! Gorgeous! We ship worldwide.

psp20ZC.jpg

Ficinus: Yeah, those engineering errors will really ruin the verisimilitude

of a nun shooting a crossbow at a power armoured post-human magic man.

Necromunda conversion thread: Ogryn mercenary!

Wargamer

Wargamer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,043 posts

I knew this "New and improved GW" was too good to be true.

• Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra likes this

"Taekar!" - Supernovan motto, battle cry, insult and general-purpose word.

gallery_48988_11572_4635.png gallery_77459_13226_2824.png

Skaorn

Skaorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 443 posts
Makes you wonder how well tested 8th really was lol
  • Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra and D3L like this
Obed was a sailor. He sailed the seven seas. He made love to the fish. He made love to the fish.
Spaceship Zero, Insmouth Look

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,302 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

Well you can't deny GW improved. It's still far from being perfect tho lol

• shandwen, Battybattybats and Tyriks like this

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.png

Kinstryfe

Kinstryfe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 735 posts
  • Faction: All things Heresy
As easy as it is to blame GW, and they certainly have their blame in the process, it sounds like the lead designer jumped ship before the job was finished as well. Kind of a horrid situation for the product, as given GW's production woes (ie being too popular to keep up with production) even a week or two delay in production or their product release cycle could very well lead to them cutting their loses and scrapping the project altogether if it's going to end up conflicting with production of another product with a higher expected yield. It was probably a choice between a product that wasn't as polished as they would want coming out when they slotted it in, or pushing a back 3/6/12/18 months until they hit a similar vacancy in upcoming production schedules. It's up to any individual to decide whether a product that's worse than desired is better than no product at all.
  • Noserenda, Chaplain Dosjetka, Schultz and 4 others like this

Juggernut

Juggernut

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,425 posts
  • Faction: The Brass Stampede

Well you can't deny GW improved. It's still far from being perfect tho lol

Yeah, this is fair.

As for the OP, seems totally believable.

jd71B4p.jpgMFgjOT4.jpgjd71B4p.jpg

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,771 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

Is there a link to the original yaktribe post so we can verify it. 

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++In Memoriam: The Day the Palace Fell+++

+General Thread+

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,156 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
Not that I know, I got it in this form, as a screenshot.

Threefold Brush Studio Cheap! Fast! Gorgeous! We ship worldwide.

psp20ZC.jpg

Ficinus: Yeah, those engineering errors will really ruin the verisimilitude

of a nun shooting a crossbow at a power armoured post-human magic man.

Necromunda conversion thread: Ogryn mercenary!

D3L

D3L

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 457 posts
  • Faction: XIV Legion

Makes you wonder how well tested 8th really was lol

If people think 8th was playtested...

Eddie Orlock

Eddie Orlock

++ FRATERIS TEMPLAR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,003 posts
  • Faction: Storm Angels

If people think 8th was playtested...

It must have been playtested, they got some internet celebrities to write some articles for their official blog saying so when they released the game.
  • Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra and Lexington like this
"Academic politics is the most vicious and bitter form of politics, because the stakes are so low."
- Wallace Sayre

The continued future of the Bolter and Chainsword is in your hands.

Soldier of Dorn

Soldier of Dorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,335 posts

Is there a link to the original yaktribe post so we can verify it. 

It's not originally a Yaktribe post. The screenshot was shared there originally early on from what I can say (link) but not written there.

It looks to me like it might be a Disqus comment like Battlebunnies/War of Sigmar/Naftka/BoLS use for their post comments. But I could be wrong.

Edited by Soldier of Dorn, 21 February 2018 - 11:48 PM.

• Marshal Rohr likes this

tn_gallery_78067_11287_22792.pngtn_gallery_78067_11287_15234.pnggallery_78067_11287_12503.png

hopkins

hopkins

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 840 posts
Oh look, James doing stuff for GW after he left https://twitter.com/...615922621538305
  • Petitioner's City likes this

Noserenda

Noserenda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,089 posts
  • Faction: Scythes of the Emperor

It makes sense with how chaotic FW have been recently, folks need to remember that Forgeworld did not design 8th ed tho...

/facepalm

34625419033_b96a180fe5_o.png

Naryn

Naryn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 193 posts
  • Faction: Mantis Warriors
This smells of outrage farming to me. Without any evidence this is exactly as credible as a plastic thunderhawk rumor from a youtube comments section.
  • Gorgoff likes this

Zopha

Zopha

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 472 posts
  • Faction: Crimson Fists/Imperial Fists
James seems to be disputing the version in that screenshot

https://twitter.com/...558499860811776

Oh wow, that's an interesting mix of embellishment, gap-filling and lack of context! This is why I don't generally talk to people about this sort of thing. I'm not going to wade into the comments, but hopefully someone will link back to this. To set a couple of things straight:

Yeah, deadlines were tight! But not "literally a couple of weeks" tight. That's a massive exaggeration.

Ask me about anything I've written, especially in the context of a problem, and of course my answer's gonna be something like "yeah, that sucks, I wish I'd had more time". It's the standard designer response, and I think a lot of people will agree - there's *never* enough time.

The quoted text makes it sound like I threw a half-finished draft at the layout team and jumped out the window, cackling with glee. Not the case! The rulebook was sent to print way before I left - I had early print copy on my desk while I was working on Gang War 1 and 2.

Read the tweets for more but

It feels like whoever wrote this pieced it together from a few different places. I get the impression they were writing it in support of me, but I wish they hadn't. It makes me come across as unprofessional. This can potentially damage my reputation and ongoing relationships.

• Chaplain Dosjetka and shandwen like this

gallery_45765_11559_23075.pnggallery_45765_11565_21922.png

ninjasuperspy

ninjasuperspy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 264 posts

Eh man you know that thing where you're supposed to ask if something's necessary or improves on silence or whatever? I don't think a screenshot of an unverified and frankly unverifiable rumor fulfills any of those criteria either in the micro of this community or the macro of the Necromunda community as a whole. Andy seems like a good dude and I certainly appreciate the models at the very least. If Underhive/Gang War isn't turning your crank there's always the Community Edition.

On that note, I'm going to go buy some Orlocks even though I'm really waiting on the Van Saars. If nothing else, they have some really great looking shotguns which will find their way into either an Orlock Gang (If I can find some microscale biker jacket decals) some Legacy Van Saars or Blackshield/Shadow War:Heresy dudes.

• Zopha likes this

Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,770 posts

Oh wow, that's an interesting mix of embellishment, gap-filling and lack of context! This is why I don't generally talk to people about this sort of thing. I'm not going to wade into the comments, but hopefully someone will link back to this. To set a couple of things straight:

Yeah, deadlines were tight! But not "literally a couple of weeks" tight. That's a massive exaggeration.

Ask me about anything I've written, especially in the context of a problem, and of course my answer's gonna be something like "yeah, that sucks, I wish I'd had more time". It's the standard designer response, and I think a lot of people will agree - there's *never* enough time.

The quoted text makes it sound like I threw a half-finished draft at the layout team and jumped out the window, cackling with glee. Not the case! The rulebook was sent to print way before I left - I had early print copy on my desk while I was working on Gang War 1 and 2.

It feels like whoever wrote this pieced it together from a few different places. I get the impression they were writing it in support of me, but I wish they hadn't. It makes me come across as unprofessional. This can potentially damage my reputation and ongoing relationships.

So why the absolute pig's breakfast then? If he had an advance copy while working on the next two volumes, why the gaps, missing pieces, and outright failures?

• Noserenda, Space Truckin and The laughing raven like this

we_badge_ezra.png

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,284 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos and Wolves
This is NuGW, half the product for twice the price. :lol:
  • Space Truckin likes this

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_48988_10069_6483.pnggallery_29004_9303_22505.pngCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_02_Failed.gif

Blog - Gates of Helvete

“Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken.” - Terry Pratchett, Eric

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,164 posts

So why the absolute pig's breakfast then? If he had an advance copy while working on the next two volumes, why the gaps, missing pieces, and outright failures?

He had produced a draft faq too, which presumably would have been intended to out before the supplements. Did you read his Reddit ask me anything & twitter, or are you just judging quotes without context? Research before commenting!

Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

Spoiler

lajetee.jpg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,770 posts

He had produced a draft faq too, which presumably would have been intended to out before the supplements. Did you read his Reddit ask me anything & twitter, or are you just judging quotes without context? Research before commenting!

Research before commenting? You mean like sitting down with the 2 Gang Wars books, the main rules, and the Gangs of Legacy pdf?

Where do you think I got the idea of it being a pig's breakfast?

• Space Truckin likes this

we_badge_ezra.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users