Readapting old minis

Prometheo567

Hi again. I'm sorry if I'm asking to trivial questions but I'm kinda bothered about this.

As said in my other thread I'm returning to W40k from 6th edition and I am trying to get my collection in fighting form.

A problem I have is that back in the day some minis had more weapon options, and power swords tended not to cut it, axes being better because of the old AP rule. Therefore, my terminator sorcerer and 3 of my AS have been modded with force axes. The other old metal AS has the original sword, which for some reason is now illegal.

Do you reckon at some point GW will allow choice of force weapons back? Am I reading correctly that I must use staves for pretty much anything? Any smart choice you can suggest to get quite a few staves and that will not ban me from GW events?

I suspect that we'll see the options increase as GW gets suitably equipped models released. Much of the recent imposition of restrictions is a result of 3rd party bits makers and GW/Citadel adjusting the game rules to match available Citadel models (theoretically mitigating the "need" for hobbyists to resort to those 3rd party providers). If GW is sincere in their expressed intent to make 8th edition a living system that will evolve over time, the expansion of rules via additional options on minis becomes a method by which they can tie everything together and promote continued sales of the models over time.

It sucks for the (very) many of us that have models that don't fit into the new rules.

To add, I believe that you can also lean on the equipment options from the Index, should they not be included in the Codex.

Check the section beginning: "There are a few options that are missing in the codex..."

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/codexes-your-questions-answered-july-5gw-homepage-post-2/

Also:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/17/new-40k-faqs-need-know/

I have no clue how to shrink this image down to a reasonable size, so I'm putting it in a spoiler...sorry if this is suboptimal. I just don't want to clobber people with giant pictures consuming their entire screen.

IndexOrCodex.jpg

Edited by Kite Senet

Also, about bits and pieces, back in the day we didn't have disc models so, since discs of Tzeentch were described as a variation of Screamers, a lot of my disc-riders (including a not longer legal Chaos Lord) are riding Screamers.

I haven't seen many people doing this so I wonder if this is considered valid nowadays or will I be expected to (somehow) make my own discs. What's your opinion on that?

I'd consider it legit and epic (in a light-hearted manner). It fits the lore and there's no danger of confusion, considering ordinary Screamers don't have people standing on them.

If you really wanted some discs, though, I imagine you could salvage some from a Tzaangor Enlightened box. The Exalted Sorcerer box comes with one disc, but that's not exactly an effective source of discs. I dunno what you'd do with the Tzaangors after scavenging it from their box, though; I don't think the Enlightened are ever caught (literally) hoofing it.

Edited by Kite Senet