Veterans vs. Infantry Squads

MinoanFresco

I sure hope no one at GW reads this and thinks increasing cost of infantry squads is a good idea. I’ve played Guard since third edition and this is the first time I’ve felt that regular infantry squads are appropriately priced in comparison to Space Marines and Eldar basic troops.

Honestly, if vets could just come down to 5 ppm anyway, that would go a long way to making them more competitive. I think that the infantry squad should stay put at 4 ppm. A price drop on vets and a return of their doctrines, would make them worth taking.

You know what would probably be broken, but awesome? Let veterans receive two orders per turn.

It would fit with the idea of them being troops with more combat experience than regular guardsmen. And it would allow them to pull off some awesome feats in battle.

If you wanted to try and balance it, maybe the second order only worked on a 4+? 3+? But maybe that wouldn't be necessary.

Anyway, I like the idea of each "troop" choice fulfilling a specific battlefield role. You get the feeling that's what the game devs had in mind when they wrote the codex. A difficult thing to balance to be sure.

Edited by MinoanFresco

I like the idea of some of the mini characters (Bastonne, Harker) making a come back as upgrades for Veteran Squads that give some unique bonus. Have one for every regiment that replaces the Sgt perhaps. Sergeant Major Bob gives your vets an ambush rule, Colour Sgt Bill gives a LD bubble or some such.

They just need some boost to make them non-detrimental. I'd take more fun at even, a bit different.

So, Doctrines then... yep.

Edited by NatBrannigan

I started in 3rd and came back to play in 7th. I was excited about using veterans until 8th dropped. Now I want to love them and find success with them as a suicide squad with my warlord and a tupacs dagger.

I am desperately trying to figure out a way to maximize my regular squads so I can love them like I did the veterans in previous editions.

On one hand I like that the grenadiers doctrine went away, as it did have a ton of overlap with scions. At the same time, demolitions and forward sentries didn't need to go. If vets could just take camo cloaks and demo charges, they'd still be worth using. 

Camo cloaks would be great. Turn Scions into a really stubborn backfield squad, give them a Lascannon, lovely.

Being able to Infiltrate that same unit somehow would be fantastic! "You want to deep strike that unit? Sure, the furthest forward you can get is here, in your deployment zone".

Dreams and wishes though, we're stuck with what we have for now. Vets can be fun, they're not the worst unit out there but why you wouldn't just take Scions I don't know. I do but pigheaded stubbornness isn't really a good reason.

Triple Plasma hiding in a Taurox and now I have a triple Melta squad popping up in a Hades Drill. Now that later really is fun and should be included for rule of cool alone! Not exactly super effective though... Really I just take Veterans to give some aesthetic variety (mine are Praetorian and wear kilts, while the normal infantry wear trousers)

Hades drills don't actually take real veterans: They take BS4 "Veterans" that must take shotguns and can only have 2 special weapons (no sniper rifles) per squad, although since it's BS4 you pay the cheaper prices for those special weapons.

I play Vostroyan, so i like to play my vets with 3 Sniper rifles and a Lascannon. I throw them in cover or on rear objectives if possible. I think i'm going to try out 3 grenade launchers build for more up-close action.