Upon Wings of Fire to Embark in a Transport?

Diagramdude

Was hoping to get some feedback on whether this is legal or not:

Could you use Upon Wings of Fire to remove a jump unit from play and when you set up at the end of the turn, set them up wholly within 3" of a friendly transport and then embark the unit?

The rules for embarking: 

Embark: "If all models in a unit end their move within 3" of a friendly transport, they can embark within it."

It is very clear that UWOF is not a move, and so they are not ending a move within 3", they are being set up within 3"

On the other hand, they end the movement phase within 3" of the transport.

I think it's not legal but I want to be sure, it would be very cool and quite tactical.

It happens "at the end of the turn", after that, no more stuff can happen, including further moves, in my opinion.

In an actual game, I'd let you do it but each model in the unit takes a mortal wound on a 4+ as they rocket at high speed towards a solid metal tank.

Xenith is right. It happens at the end of the turn so you can't do anything that's part of the movement phase after that anymore.

Note that "end their move within 3" ... " is not the same thing as "at the end of the movement phase".

While we’re talking creative uses for Wings of Fire, you can use to pick up a model and put it back down in the same exact spot if you like.

.....why the heck would you want to do that?

...to unlock Descent if Angels, of course. Make sure you get that charge off.

I had a game where I was slightly behind on VP, but had 3 cards with. 1. Kingslayer 2. Kill a character 3. Kill something in melee. I used WoF to move Captain Slamguinius 12” away from the enemy WL to make sure I could get that Charge off. Between him and the Sanguinor bouncing up the field already, I got all 3 cards (plus Slay the WL) easily.

Could you explain this further? I don't get it :sad.:

You use Upon Wings of Fire to fulfill the Descent of Angels requirement of the unit being "set up" so you can do a 3d6 charge instead of the normal 2d6 charge. Quite expensive tactic but definitely handy in specific situations. ;)

Could you explain this further? I don't get it :(

The way Wings of Fire and Descent of Angels are worded means they can interact together (key phrase is “set up on the battlefield”). Therefore, there can be times when it may be advantageous to use Wings of Fire not on some dramatic board-crossing leap, but simply to give yourself a 3D6” (re-rollable with Angel’s Wing) Charge distance.

What’s “better” an 8” Charge or a 3D6” from 9” out?

My point is that you can be creative with it in certain situations.