2k Iron Warriors gunline

UtariOnzo

I’ve built this list with a mind of using the B@C boxset as a base, and to give me a goal to work towards. Idea of the force is to play to Kyr Vhalen’s strengths and make an interesting and fluffly list, with a mix of units for thematic purposes.

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Forge Lord [380pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, On Foot

. Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple: Support Unit

. . Castellax class Battle-automata: 2x Bolter, Darkfire Cannon, Stock Chargers

. . Castellax class Battle-automata: 2x Bolter, Darkfire Cannon, Two Power Blades

. Consul

. . Forge Lord: Cortex Controller, Servo Arm, Volkite Charger

. Power Weapon: Power Axe

Kyr Vhalen [355pts]: Warsmith

. Master of the Legion

. . Command Squad, Legion: On Foot, Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion

. . . Space Marine Chosen, Legion: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword or Combat Blade, Volkite Charger

. . . Space Marine Chosen, Legion: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword or Combat Blade, Volkite Charger

. . . Space Marine Chosen, Legion: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Combat Shield, Power Weapon

. . . Standard Bearer, Legion: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword or Combat Blade

+ Elites +

Apothecarion Detachment [55pts]

. Apothecary, Legion: Artificer Armour, Chainsword/Combat Blade

Quad Launcher Support Battery, Legion [140pts]: 2x Rapier, Legion, Shatter Shell

+ Troops +

Tactical Squad, Legion [165pts]: 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. Additional Wargear: Bolters

. Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion: Extra Armour

. Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Bolter

Tactical Squad, Legion [165pts]: 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

+ Heavy Support +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought [220pts]: Aiolos Missile Launcher, Shrapnel Bolts, Twin-linked Anvilius Pattern Autocannon Battery, Twin-linked Heavy Bolter

Iron Havoc Support Squad [225pts]: 4x Iron Havoc, 4x Missile Launcher (with Frag, Krak, & Flakk missiles)

. Iron Havoc Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Missile Launcher (with Frag, Krak, & Flakk missiles)

Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad [295pts]: 4x Tyrant Terminator

. Tyrant Siege Master: Omniscope

+ Allegiance +

and Allegiance, Legion: IV: Iron Warriors, Loyalist

Rite of War: The Ironfire

++ Total: [2000pts] ++

I’m aware this is not a super optimised ironfire list but my meta is not very competative and I wanted to hit the theme of infantry with artillary support not artillary spam. That and I think I can only deal with so many barrages and templates. I also took a forge lord along to get the battle robots without needing the heavy support slot for them, I may be totally wrong on whether he can do that as I don’t have the books yet so I will adjust if that is the case. I wanted to be able to field a mix of units to see how they play as well as motivate me to get the models

Idea is to have Kyr’s merry band of volkite men and the tacticals be a mobile element to be able to take objectives or set up a gunline further up in the field. Havoks, thudds and tyrants act as the rearguard defenders, with the battlebots and dread either setting up back or footslogging forwards as needed for AT and AA respectively.

Remember, this is not a competition optimised list but I am all ears for ways of tweaking it to an extent along with thematic changes

Edited by UtariOnzo

Hey bud, glad to see you taking on my recommendation so happily!

A great start to the list but I think it could be improved with a few small things:

Rite of War:

Ditch the Iron Fire - it currently doesn't really add anything as you only have a two Quad Mortars to benefit. Instead I'd go for Ironfire, it gives all of your tanks and walkers extra armour for free and lets you bring another Heavy Support choice (maybe an Artillery tank?). While it does force you into taking a 3rd troops choice, just another barebones tac squad is great, seeing as it lets them charge after rapid firing, making them very versatile and fun to play!

Forgelord

I suggest you change this bad boy to a Praevian, or the bots will indeed use up a Heavy Support choice - this also means the Praevian joins the unit with them and gives them both Preferred enemy and Tank Hunters!

Command Squad

If you are after Volkite, I would suggest a Support Squad, or Heavy Support Squad - Command squads are there to be fearless close combat dudes - which are probably too expensive for this army. I'd ditch these guys to help finance that extra Tactical Squad you will need and/or the 4th Heavy Slot.

Apothecary and Quad Launchers

Both seem a little out on a limb, but they're cool! Again maybe use the point to finance a sweet 4th Heavy Support Choice instead!

Alright, made some adjustments as your points were pretty sound. I think it still strikes enough of the artillary/guns supporting infantry blocks. Kyr will be teaming up with the support squad who’ll foot slog into favourable mid board positions to help support the tacticals. I wanted to find the points somwhere to shave to get them a rhino as well, but couldn’t without losing whole units so I settled with the fact that the volkites are reaching 30” range anyways so will be fine footslogging into position, more so then the 3rd tactical.

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2005pts] ++

+ HQ +

Kyr Vhalen [195pts]: Warsmith

Praevian [355pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, On Foot

. Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple: Support Unit

. Consul: Praevian

. Power Weapon: Power Axe

+ Troops +

Tactical Squad, Legion [160pts]: 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

Tactical Support Squad, Legion Volkite Caliver [120pts]:4x Space Marines, Legion, Support Squad, Volkite Caliver

. Sergeant, Legion: Bolt Pistol, Volkite Caliver

+ Heavy Support +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought [220pts]: Aiolos Missile Launcher, Shrapnel Bolts, Twin-linked Anvilius Pattern Autocannon Battery, Twin-linked Heavy Bolter

Iron Havoc Support Squad [225pts]: 4x Iron Havoc, 4x Missile Launcher (with Frag, Krak, & Flakk missiles)

. Iron Havoc Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Missile Launcher (with Frag, Krak, & Flakk missiles)

Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad [295pts]: 4x Tyrant Terminator

. Tyrant Siege Master: Omniscope

Whirlwind Scorpius, Legion [115pts]: Extra Armour, Scorpius Multi-Launcher

+ Allegiance +

and Allegiance, Legion: IV: Iron Warriors, Loyalist

Rite of War: The Hammer of Olympia

++ Total: [2005pts] ++

5 points over but this isn’t something my local meta will sniff at, we’re all just laid back friends.

Edited by UtariOnzo

Rite of War:

Ditch the Iron Fire - it currently doesn't really add anything as you only have a two Quad Mortars to benefit. Instead I'd go for Ironfire, it gives all of your tanks and walkers extra armour for free and lets you bring another Heavy Support choice (maybe an Artillery tank?). While it does force you into taking a 3rd troops choice, just another barebones tac squad is great, seeing as it lets them charge after rapid firing, making them very versatile and fun to play!

You probably mean the Hammer of Olympia :biggrin.:

Yes that was absolutely necessary, I'll go now.