Are Plague Marines Competetive?

Checkmate77

I use the index for the Sorcerer and 1 DP (both with the MoN and the Sorcerer gets the Death Guard legion trait). I put the DP with the elites cuz they don't really benefit from the DG advancing/holding obj. bonus. That way I get a jump pack and the spells that the codex doesn't have.

I run the CC squad in Rhino with the lord, Blightspawn, & Putrifier. I use the plague bomb every chance I get and the Blightspawn is just a beast. Mortarion is in combat turn 1 (well every game so far) and DP's are there to clean up. Poxwalkers and other marines go for objs. while the Blightbringer helps almost everyone move turn 1 and mostly 2 (plus he's not to shabby in CC). Everyone is also usually in range for all sorts of rerolling auras, I try to keep everything close.

it is a unique list. I've run Morty in various lists and he's usually dead by turn 2 due to the amount of shooting he takes. Have you thought about taking a Demon prince from chaos demons in there somewhere to get fleshy abundance?

it is a unique list. I've run Morty in various lists and he's usually dead by turn 2 due to the amount of shooting he takes. Have you thought about taking a Demon prince from chaos demons in there somewhere to get fleshy abundance?

Sometimes that is the benefit of Morty though. You know that the rest of your army is safe.

Sometimes that is the benefit of Morty though. You know that the rest of your army is safe.

The points cost for a turn 2 death is too expensive, turn 3 (assuming he has killed a couple of units at that point) is worth it.

You can't take the jump sorc

I had to check this, but it’s not a new entry but just a wargear that’s Index only. Do you simply use the rules from the codex but the points from the index as per that flow chart.

I've been following Ninja's battle reports for a while now.  His list may be unconventional, but it seems to work very nicely and it's been great to see Morty cut a swath through enemy armies.

Speaking of Unconventional lists......I do have a list I've put together that I'm thinking of running at the NOVA OPEN.  I fully realize it is likely not the most competitive list (I love fluff so I try to incorporate it).  But that said, I've been toying with the idea of posting it here to get some feedback.  I am by far not the most experienced player here (don't get a chance to play as often as i'd like) so having the chance to learn from the Veterans here has been immensely helpful to me. 

If you guys are interested I'll post what I've got. 

I've been following Ninja's battle reports for a while now.  His list may be unconventional, but it seems to work very nicely and it's been great to see Morty cut a swath through enemy armies.

Speaking of Unconventional lists......I do have a list I've put together that I'm thinking of running at the NOVA OPEN.  I fully realize it is likely not the most competitive list (I love fluff so I try to incorporate it).  But that said, I've been toying with the idea of posting it here to get some feedback.  I am by far not the most experienced player here (don't get a chance to play as often as i'd like) so having the chance to learn from the Veterans here has been immensely helpful to me. 

If you guys are interested I'll post what I've got. 

Post it up, you never know what ideas someone might give you to make your list better. The back and forth with Skim had me tighten my non grenade spam PM list up some.

OK, here we go.

So here is my Death Guard 7th Company Army List.  Word upfront:  A lot of Fluff, and I'm using models I've spent a lot of time painting and/or I really like (will add pics if interested) 

Death Guard Battalion Detachment: + 5 CP

Headquarters

Demon Prince w/Wings (Hell forged Sword, Plague Spewer) – 199

Relic:  Suppurating Plate

Warlord:  Arch Contaminator (Or Revoltingly Resilient)

Power: Miasma of Pestilence

Malignant Plague Caster (Plague Staff) – 110

Powers: Putrescent Vitality and Gift of Contagion

Chaos Lord in Terminator Army (Combi-Melta and Bale Sword) – 130

Troops

7xPM (2xBL, CH w/PG & PS) – 153

7xPM (2xBL, CH w/PG & PS) – 153

7xPM (2xBL, 2xFLoC, CH w/PP & PS) – 167

Dedicated Transport: Rhino w/Combi-Bolter – 71

Elite

6xBlightlord Terminator (4xCombi-P, 1x Reaper AC, 5x Bubonic Axe, 1x FLoC) – 338

Foul Blight Spawn – 77

Biologus Purifier – 74

Hellforged Predator (Predator AC & 2xLascannon) – 185

Fast

Foetid Bloat Drone (w/Spitters and Plague Probe) – 158

CSM Auxiliary Support Detachment  -1 CP

Helldrake (Bale Flamer and Claws)  185

Total:  2000 Points     7 Command Points

​Battle Plan:  3rd PM Squad, BP, BS, and MC in Rhino.  With only 9 Drops, I'm hoping to have an edge for first turn.

​Helldrake and Predator immediately put pressure on opponents line first turn.  This will allow my DP, Drone, and Rhino to push up.  PM Squads 1 & 2 Hold Objectives in My starting area and/or midfield.  Predator remains close to PMs and thanks to CC ability will be able to assist if necessary.   Terminators and T. Lord stay in Reserve till T2, can then drop down to support where needed.

​Goal is to keep the opponent off balance  while securing and holding Objectives. 

​I fully realize this not the most competitive list (by a long shot).  However I do hope to at the very least to make my opponents work for a victory :wink: .  Thoughts?

I think the format is a little off. Seems to be white letters for me on the phone. What does the Hellforged pred have? Personally ive wanted to do one with flamestorm, heavy flamers and a combi flamer to be the most annoying possible, but I've always had other things to buy for the death guard instead

Sorry about the format, hope it is still legible.

As you already noted is that it has access to a larger variety of weapons.  I toyed with the setup you metioned focus on flame weapons.  The Infernal Flamestorm Cannon (R 8, 2D6 Hits, S 5, AP -1, D 2) and can take two Heavy Flamers on the side.  I took a more usual approach, Pred Autocannon and Sponson Lascannons (should probably of included that above..oops) to give me some more AT capability.

The thing I really like about the Hellforged vs regular is it actually has a CC ability that gets better the more damaged the vehicle gets.  It has a base of 4 attacks with the ability to get D3 extra attacks on the Charge. 

My only concern with your list is it is very light on AT. With how heavy vehicles are in my meta that is why I have six of them in my list (usually). Do people not run a lot of vehicles in your meta? I know you can tie up two of them with the heldrake and drone but what do you do if you face several vehicles or high toughness units?

I noticed the points for the Rhino are off. It should be 72p with only a single Combi-Bolter (74p if you take an additional Combi-Bolter which I'd always do tbh). Didn't check the other units points tho.

@ sfPanzer, Thanks for catch, I'll relook to make sure and re-check my point costs.

@ Bulwyf, I've gone up against a vehicle heavy speed freak list with a similar setup (Morkanaught, Battewagon and 4-5 Trukks).   Big change was one additional PM Squad and two MBH vs the Helldrake and Predator. 

I have found that Blight Launchers and the Foul Blightspawn (took out two trukks by himself) are really good against light vehicles, and if I can get close enough for a Blight Bombardment then for heavy stuff as well.

In my the above metioned game the Blight Launchers (thanks to Arch Contaminator) took off a good 8+ wounds off the Morkanaught.  The Terminators also helped, with overcharged Plasma making a huge dent in the Battlewagon. 

All this said, I have not gone up against a dedicated vehicle heavy list like Astra, I can foresee this being a problem.  My hope is the Helldrake with it's 30" range can tie up some artillery lists for a couple of turns. 

Some people have expressed that my list is not a valid list, but my list just got approved for my tournament this weekend. I was confident it was, I've spoken to a couple other TO's and my local GW store rep, all said it was.

I plan on starting a thread for that Friday if anyone wishes to follow along. It's 3 on Saturday and 3 on Sunday, I would like to go 4-2, but I haven't taken it against a true gun line list. That's my only real concern right now.

Some people have expressed that my list is not a valid list, but my list just got approved for my tournament this weekend. I was confident it was, I've spoken to a couple other TO's and my local GW store rep, all said it was.

I plan on starting a thread for that Friday if anyone wishes to follow along. It's 3 on Saturday and 3 on Sunday, I would like to go 4-2, but I haven't taken it against a true gun line list. That's my only real concern right now.

I think the problem frankly is that battle scribe doesn't let you pick an index sorc under DG and people look at BS as if it was gospel despite what the actual books say.

Thoughts?

Mind if I steal your list?

I built a bunch of old-school metal Death Guard back in the day, and I'm thinking of reviving them. Between what I have on hand and a Dark Imperium box I could probably make most of this list, and it looks like it could be fun to play.

Archived