Plagueburst Crawlers, aka the Best Tank in the Game

Vilicate

Man, do I love this tank.

I've been running 6 of them in my recent lists and I have a tournament coming up on the 24th of Feb; can't wait to see how they stack up.  So far it's been completely brutal.

IMG 3715

While list is technically a Daemons list (I'm going to try for best in faction in the ITC this year), it's mostly Death Guard models and the main star:  The (not-so) humble Plagueburst Crawler.  Oh my god is this thing amazing - T8, 3+/5++/5+++, access to 2 Plaguespitters and the bonus of also having a Mortar and HB equivalent that sometimes do some good damage.  You get a lot of durability for 140 pts.

In addition, as they are Daemons, they get buffs from the Daemon characters, be they Poxbringers or Epidemius - and why would that be good you might ask?  Why would I care about getting +1S?  Well, because the Plaguespitters are S:User, and so any buffs you can give them make them even more brutal.  Also, being assault weapons, you can advance the tanks and still shoot; so you really boost that 9 + d6" move and 9" flamer.  Sooooo good.  Also, since they are Nurgle Daemons, they benefit from having the tree around - meaning they can fall back from combat and still flamer away.

Just stoked to be playing this tank!  What is your take on this monster of the tabletop?

But where's the paint???

I agree, disgustingly resilient on a tank is amazing. However, have you met my arch nemesis Dark Reaper spam? They will ignore your tanks and kill the rest of your entire army by turn 3. Multi damage shots care not for DR. I bring this up only because you mentioned a tournament... so be prepared. I think your list will be great fun against everything else though!

So it's a Daemons of Nurgle army with PBCs.

Edit: I should point out I'm not complaining, I actually wish GW had given Daemons the ability to take Daemon Engines in an army without Detachment manipulation.

Edited by DuskRaider

But where's the paint???

I agree, disgustingly resilient on a tank is amazing. However, have you met my arch nemesis Dark Reaper spam? They will ignore your tanks and kill the rest of your entire army by turn 3. Multi damage shots care not for DR. I bring this up only because you mentioned a tournament... so be prepared. I think your list will be great fun against everything else though!

I couldn’t disagree more, on multiwound models it’s still huge as it still reduces damage by a third on average

But where's the paint???

I couldn’t disagree more, on multiwound models it’s still huge as it still reduces damage by a third on average

He wasn't talking about multi-wound models tho?

Take the stubber and flamers to keep them cheap. 

You have to be aggressive with them though to get the use out of the flamers as they are what put the damage out not the bit cannon. 

If you have a chaos lord with them with the warlord trait that allows re-roll all wounds with plague weapons then can really hurt

But where's the paint???

Correct as usual Panzer :p

I mean, if they want to shoot at my Plaguebearers with Reapers, I'm okay with that.  In that particular netlist, I'm more concerned with the Shining Spears over the Dark Reapers tbh.

I also always take Arch-Contaminator on my Daemon Prince in order to get those re-rolls - it's pretty awesome.

But where's the paint???

Well then it seems I agree :P

There was a list at the LVO this year with ten of them, it didn't do that well compared to what the guy thought it would and is hard countered by certain tactics. Your list looks to at least be better balanced than that so just watch out for units wrapping you in combat so you can't fall back as well as fiends of slaanesh since they won't let you fall back either.

There was a list at the LVO this year with ten of them, it didn't do that well compared to what the guy thought it would and is hard countered by certain tactics. Your list looks to at least be better balanced than that so just watch out for units wrapping you in combat so you can't fall back as well as fiends of slaanesh since they won't let you fall back either.

Hey dude;

So I've been chatting with Don Hooson (the guy with 10 PBCs) - he went 5-1, and lost the first round due to himself playing poorly and his opponent playing well (by his own admission).  Getting 13th out of like 500 is pretty darn good imo.

Yeah, the reason I have the plaguebearers and beasts is to help screen my front and/or flanks to make sure I don't get wrapped.

I mean, if they want to shoot at my Plaguebearers with Reapers, I'm okay with that.  In that particular netlist, I'm more concerned with the Shining Spears over the Dark Reapers tbh.

I also always take Arch-Contaminator on my Daemon Prince in order to get those re-rolls - it's pretty awesome.

Yup I am well aware of the shining spears. They destroyed my 7 beasts of nurgle instantly. God, I got beat so badly that game it still hurts. I think you should use your list and let us all know how it goes, because it can be great against certain match ups and you have already stated you know about the lame Eldar netlist. GOOD LUCK!

Hey dude;

So I've been chatting with Don Hooson (the guy with 10 PBCs) - he went 5-1, and lost the first round due to himself playing poorly and his opponent playing well (by his own admission). Getting 13th out of like 500 is pretty darn good imo.

Yeah, the reason I have the plaguebearers and beasts is to help screen my front and/or flanks to make sure I don't get wrapped.

Glad to hear he turned it around. Never had a chance to check out his other matchups.

Just curious how you use the crawlers, are you basically treating them as tougher bloat drones with the spitters ? Just seems when you move you are hitting on 5's with the other guns, or if you advance the other guns are heavy and can't be fired.

I really do love my Plagueburst crawlers, but in a purely competitive environment I think you’re going to be in trouble. I love them but the second I have to move or play against -1 to hit armies they are extremely difficult to get a return on. I’ve had games against Nids for instance that I find them nearly ineffective.

I really do love my Plagueburst crawlers, but in a purely competitive environment I think you’re going to be in trouble. I love them but the second I have to move or play against -1 to hit armies they are extremely difficult to get a return on. I’ve had games against Nids for instance that I find them nearly ineffective.

That's probably the reason why that one list at the GT Heat 3 had only 3 Crawler in his list and the rest Plaguebearer, Nurglings etc. With the various buffs the Plaguebearers could cross the field extremely fast and get on objectives or charge the enemy lines etc.

Just curious how you use the crawlers, are you basically treating them as tougher bloat drones with the spitters ? Just seems when you move you are hitting on 5's with the other guns, or if you advance the other guns are heavy and can't be fired.

Im mid assembly of one at the moment. I was seriously considering the entropy cannons as I struggle vs vehicles but i do worry about the degrading profile if it moves or is damaged

Is it actually worth magnatising or just picking one weapon?

Edited by Wolf Lord Loki

I've only got the one PBC and I went with the Entropy Cannons.  I do have 5 drones though, 3 with spewers, 1 with the blight launcher and one with the flesh mower.  I just usually leave mine at the back somewhere with decent line of sight and just use my drones and prince(s) to cause havoc.

I've only got the one PBC and I went with the Entropy Cannons. I do have 5 drones though, 3 with spewers, 1 with the blight launcher and one with the flesh mower. I just usually leave mine at the back somewhere with decent line of sight and just use my drones and prince(s) to cause havoc.

Not to derail the topic...but how do your mower drones do?

Only used it a couple of times and it was OK. I prefer the spewers as I normally run two and it gives me 4xd6 on the way in. I can tie most things up with them for a turn (they don't do a fat lot in hand to hand) but then you just leave combat and shoot again. The mower one tends to just get focused on and can't do a thing until it gets in combat...last time out it got shot up on the way in, failed a charge and then died the next turn...my 2 spewer drones survived though and did very well.

I haven't used my blight launcher drone yet lol

I'm not sold on the PBC, but I think it's just my play style and the meta at my local GW. I like to move a lot and the haulers were designed for that. I'm hoping I've engaged my opponents units in cc by turn 2, leaving my haulers to shoot at their heavies from mid field and usually rolling 2d6 for the multi-melta damage. I might get to shoot the PBC's one or twice, that's also hoping I don't have to move them.

Mower drone(s) leading a flying DP. Cast Blades of Putrefaction, 9 attacks hitting on 4+ (but reroll 1's with DP), usually wounding on a 2+ (reroll 1's for Plague weapon), and causing mortal wounds on 6+. Followed by the DP's attacks if he charged too. If your playing someone that hasn't seen this they get a little sad. If they've seen it, they will target it with a lot. Which leaves your army to do what they want.

Edited by McElMcNinja