Standard of Sacrifice question

Slothysaur

So this is a question about this banner when held by a Company Ancient.

If I have a unit of Hellblasters firing Overwatch with the Overcharged profile and roll ones to hit they will slay themselves. When this happens, assuming I roll a 4+ to muster the strength to fire again from the Banner, will the shots fired as a result of the Banner be at normal BS or at 6s?

Hopefully I've worded this question well enough, phone typing is hard.

Not long after the SM ‘Dev came out, I played my perpetual Black Templar frenemy in huge 3000pt game. He killed TWO of my Stormravens in MY Shooting phase by having his Devastator Centurions near the Relic banner. That hurt.

I do have to agree that RAW it wouldn’t matter if it’s Overwatch, although the RAI on this one can be seen both ways.

6+ to hit on the overwatch. Just because it's "as if it was the shooting phase" does not override the fact that you are firing overwatch.

The overwatch rules specify that they always hit on 6+ regardless of other modifiers. 

Edited by Xenith

does not override the fact that you are firing overwatch.

I'm not too sure about that. You could theoretically should at some other unit that isn't charging you as well and that would obviously not be Overwatch.

6+ to hit on the overwatch. Just because it's "as if it was the shooting phase" does not override the fact that you are firing overwatch.

The overwatch rules specify that they always hit on 6+ regardless of other modifiers.

You aren't firing overwatch anymore, your making a shooting attack as normal.

So you can shoot the enemy charging you, that unit over there, but not that character hidden behind that unit, etc.

It isn't an overwatch attack anymore.

Actually knowing this now (seriously one of the rare things I haven't seen yet. You never stop learning!) ... I now hope that my Plasma guys roll 1s during overwatch with an Ancient nearby so I can obliterate the charging unit properly. :D

Yeah, I had been running a banner with my plasma inceptors but coz they only get to shoot with one of their guns instead of both I decided it's not worth it and I'd rather the rerolling 1s to wound of the Sanguinary banner. Hellblasters or plasma Veta/devs are still well supported by the chapter banner.

I'd rather the rerolling 1s to wound of the Sanguinary banner. Hellblasters or plasma Veta/devs are still well supported by the chapter banner.

I see this said a lot, not just you, but the Blood Angels Chapter Banner (ie, Sanguinary Ancient) only allows rerolls of 1s to wound in the Fight Phase.

It's not as good as the Lieutenants buff (otherwise BA would never use Lts...)

So there is no official FaQ for this then? I'll be sending an email to GW tonight then, just so I have an "official" answer. Mainly because the shop keeper didn't seem to think it was at full BS either and I'd rather it not get "shop ruled" to not work; I need all the tricks I can get with all the Eldar and other cheese that pervades that shop.

Also I realized too late that the question wasn't about the relic banner lol, I was using the relic in the game so the thought didn't cross my mind that the relic part was irrelevant.

How could you fire Overwatch in the Shooting phase though?

If there's any room for interpretation, I think it's more arguable that the attacker could complete their charge move before the shooter is removed, because both effects happen after the shooting attack is "resolved". If we're going to get really really technical, though, then RAW the attacker only rolls for their charge distance at that point, and the move happens afterwards - so under that reading the charge distance would be rolled, then the model would be removed and the second attack would go off, then the chargers would be moved. 

Sorry for an other question related to banners:

Does a company ancient allows a sanguinary ancient to gain the 4+ shoot when destroyed ability ? It does have the blood angels and ancient keyword.

Astartes Banner: BLOOD ANGELS units within 6" of any friendly BLOOD ANGELS ANCIENTS add 1 to their
Leadership.
In addition, roll a D6 each time a BLOOD ANGELS INFANTRY model is destroyed within 6" of any
friendly BLOOD ANGELS ANCIENTS, before removing the model as a casualty. On a 4+ that model musters one
last surge of strength before succumbing to its wounds; it can either shoot with one of its weapons as if it were the
Shooting phase, or make a single attack as if it were the Fight phase.

Sorry for an other question related to banners:

Does a company ancient allows a sanguinary ancient to gain the 4+ shoot when destroyed ability ? It does have the blood angels and ancient keyword.

Astartes Banner: BLOOD ANGELS units within 6" of any friendly BLOOD ANGELS ANCIENTS add 1 to their
Leadership.
In addition, roll a D6 each time a BLOOD ANGELS INFANTRY model is destroyed within 6" of any
friendly BLOOD ANGELS ANCIENTS, before removing the model as a casualty. On a 4+ that model musters one
last surge of strength before succumbing to its wounds; it can either shoot with one of its weapons as if it were the
Shooting phase, or make a single attack as if it were the Fight phase.

Holy crap dude, I think it does. I never truly read the wording before, but it looks like having a Company Ancient triggers the Astartes banner for any other ancients you have in your list, Primaris, Company, Terminator or Sanguinary!

I have been wondering the same thing. I also think that it does. Especially when you compare the wording to the Sanguinary and Terminator Ancients. Their rules both specify "this model" while the Company/Primaris Ancients both say "any friendly Blood Angels Ancient."

:huh.:

:yes:

Comparison between all three banners:

Hidden Content

Astartes Banner (Company Ancient, Primaris Ancient)

BLOOD ANGELS units within 6” of any friendly BLOOD ANGELS ANCIENTS add 1 to their Leadership. In addition roll a D6 each time a BLOOD ANGELS INFANTY model is destroyed within 6” of any friendly BLOOD ANGELS ANCIENTS before removing the model as a casualty. ON a 4+ that model musters one last surge of strength before succumbing to its wounds; it can either shoot with one of its weapons as if it were the Shooting phase, or make a single attack as if it were the Fight phase.

Archangel Standard (Terminator Ancient)

BLOOD ANGELS units within 6” of any friendly BLOOD ANGELS ANCIENTS add 1 to their Leadership characteristic. In addition, you can re-roll failed hit rolls in the Fight phase for friendly BLOOD ANGELS units within 6’ of this model.

Blood Angels Chapter Banner (Sanguinary Ancient)

BLOOD ANGELS units within 6” of any friendly BLOOD ANGELS ANCIENTS add 1 to their Leadership. In addition, you can re-roll wound rolls of 1 in the Fight phase for friendly BLOOD ANGELS units within 6” of this model.

...so....in short....the same language ("within 6" of any friendly...") that prevents the Ld buffs from stacking (so no +3Ld for being near all 3 banners) also allows the Terminator Ancient/Sanguinary Ancient to relay the special ability of the Company/Primaris Ancients.

Not too shabby.

So.....what that means is that you can park a cheap Company Ancient with some Devastators while a Sanguinary Ancient hangs out with you beatstick unit, and that beatstick unit will get to both re-roll 1's To Wound in the Fight phase, but also on a 4+ shoot or fight again when they are killed.

Don't know if it's game-breakingly good or anything, but definitely a great hidden benefit.

p.s. The Standard of Sacrifice has the same "within 6" of the bearer" verbiage, so no to having FNP bubbles floating all around the board.

While we're talking interactions of banners....

A Chaplain lets units within 6" use his Leadership.

A banner gives +1Ld.

Therefore, a Chaplain within 6" of a banner makes all units around him Ld10.

(again, not the greatest thing in the world, but just confirming).