Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Starting Slaanesh Rengades

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Royal Cactus

Royal Cactus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 101 posts

Hey everyone, I'm trying to put together a small Renegate Chapter force with a Slaaneshi theme (most likely Corpus Brethern) here is what I came up with:

Patrole Detechment:

HQ:

Chaos sorcerer, force axe, steed of Slaanesh

Troops:

5 CSM, Combi-Flamer, Flamer, Rhino with Combi-Flamer, Havoc Launcher

5 CSM, Combi-Melter, Melter, Rhino with Combi-Melter, Havoc Launcher

​Elite:

Hellbrute, Heavy Bolter and Scourge

​Fast Attack:

​3 Bikers, Combi Plasma, 2 Plasmaguns

​Flyer:

Heldrake with baleflamer

​Heavy Support:

5 Havocs with Missile Launcher

​Any Thoughts? 

• Fortnight likes this

Check-out my WIP, it is about Tzeentch, sculpting and stuff:

http://www.bolterand...h-wip-05072015/

And here is my YouTube Chanel:

https://www.youtube....ded_help_flow=3

Slan Drakkos

Slan Drakkos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 213 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children
tenor.gif?itemid=8231059
Finally, someone that else that wants to build a force dedicated to the best chaos god.

As far as suggestions go, I'd suggest that you make the norm CSM into chosen instead for superior ranged flexibility. Noise Marines are also an option that's better at shooting and slightly better in close combat than normal CSM. Everything else seems good to me.
  • Kierdale likes this

WarriorFish

WarriorFish

++ PRÆFECT SOCIORUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 19,394 posts
  • Faction: Hunter Legion

What sort of level are you aiming for? You have some good themed options but not a particularly strong list - Missile Launchers are sadly unloved by GW and small squads of CSM aren't very durable for example. So if you're looking for a more competitive list there are some potential changes :)

Generally speaking 8th favours numbers, so some of your own to deal and endure damage does well. Slaanesh lets you fight in combat well, and with Stratagem use can deliver some punishing shooting salvoes so you can build your army to make the most of both or focus on one, though arguably shooting is still stronger in 8th.

gallery_30308_3239_3185.pnggallery_30308_9518_17558.pnggallery_30308_3239_193.pnggallery_30308_3239_17729.png
Painting Oaths Completed:
gallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_84.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gif
gallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gif
In the grim predictability of online 40k, there can be only Sun Tzu quotes

SM Cataphractii | IG Stormtroopers | CSM Maulershrimp | =][= Culexus | AM Armigers | DE [Repaint]

Res Ipsa Loquitur

Res Ipsa Loquitur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,347 posts
  • Faction: Children of The Violet Heart

Did you already buy the Heldrake?

"I have of late - but wherefore I know not - lost all my mirth, forgone all custom of exercises; and indeed it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory; this most excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire, why, it appears no other thing to me than a foul and pestilential congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust? man delights not me: no, nor woman neither. Nor woman neither."

Posted Image

Royal Cactus

Royal Cactus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 101 posts
thank you guys for your answers! I thought of this list as a starting point, good in small games (not too competitive, but not trash). I also thought that I could expand it down the line with Squads of 10 instead of 5, 5 bikers instead of 3, adding Cultists for capping etc.

I thought about changing the sorcerer in favour of a Slaanesh lord on steed with Dual Claws

Sadly I don't know where to read up on point value so I only have the Powerlevel from the Codex to go by... :(

Yes, I have the models and am assembling them atm. ;)

Edited by Royal Cactus, 24 February 2018 - 10:35 AM.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,919 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

I definitely recommend against Chosen, unlike Slan Drakkos.

If you want something more shooty than the basic Chaos Marine go with Noise Marines, Havocs, Terminators or Obliterators. If you want something more choppy go with Possessed or Terminators. If you just want numbers for Objectives etc. but don't want to rely on Cultists only then stick with the basic Chaos Marine.

Also +1 for choosing the right god. thumbsup.gif

The points are at the back of the Codex right before the Tactical Objectives. Alternatively you could just use Battlescribe to write your lists. If the numbers in Battlescribe differ from the ones in your Codex it's most likely because it already includes Chapter Approved changes etc. ;)

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.png

WarriorFish

WarriorFish

++ PRÆFECT SOCIORUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 19,394 posts
  • Faction: Hunter Legion

Termies are cool and quite effective, and a Lord with claws is a great support unit that doesn't break the bank. Killy too; even more so with the Intoxicating Elixir and a Warlord Trait on top - mine is feared with good reason :D

• Fortnight likes this

gallery_30308_3239_3185.pnggallery_30308_9518_17558.pnggallery_30308_3239_193.pnggallery_30308_3239_17729.png
Painting Oaths Completed:
gallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_84.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gif
gallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gif
In the grim predictability of online 40k, there can be only Sun Tzu quotes

SM Cataphractii | IG Stormtroopers | CSM Maulershrimp | =][= Culexus | AM Armigers | DE [Repaint]

Royal Cactus

Royal Cactus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 101 posts

Oh snap! how did i miss this?!? 

any thoughts about the Rhinos? I used to think it's best to Keep them as cheap as possible but I thought since Combi weapons aren't one shot only anymore they could earn the Points back.

So my Stradegie was this:

The Sorcerer/ Lord tries to get to the enemy asap. the bikers drive behind him and shoot at on the Lords Target or they get supported by the sorcerers spells.

The Flamer CSM go GEQ or MEQ hunting, while the Melterones go after Tanks/Monster

The Hellturkey goes and causes as much annoyance as possible,

The Hellbrute an take on a lot of different Enemys with the Heave bolter ans the Scourge and goes to thee front to Support what is lacking

and lastly the Havocs are in case of Flyers but can also shoot at Tanks and Infanterie (and I like the Idea of Rocket Launcher Marines^^)

hmm... are Chosen that good? I'd thought of them as an assaulty unit I'd give them a Flamer, a Power Fist and 3 Power Axes, but at the same time Terminator's would do the same with better Armor and a bit cheaper I think? I don't really like the 4 Melter/Flamer Loadout from a model Point of view.

What do you guys think my tactic idea?

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,919 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

hmm... are Chosen that good? I'd thought of them as an assaulty unit I'd give them a Flamer, a Power Fist and 3 Power Axes, but at the same time Terminator's would do the same with better Armor and a bit cheaper I think? I don't really like the 4 Melter/Flamer Loadout from a model Point of view.

No they really aren't that good. I'd rate them as worst unit in the CSM Codex currently.

• Royal Cactus likes this

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.png

Res Ipsa Loquitur

Res Ipsa Loquitur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,347 posts
  • Faction: Children of The Violet Heart

I would definitely recommend upgrading your CSM to Noise Marines and giving them a Blastmaster. Also, take six per squad and a Chainsword on the Champion. 

I wouldn't bother with the Steed at this point, just bung the Sorceror in a Rhino. Are Steeds even in the Codex? I had thought they were Index only now.

Lascannons cost the same as Missile Launchers and outperform them vs. every target but hordes. I would shave some points by taking two Lascannons and two Heavy Bolters, maybe. Every unit has Split Fire now, so have at it.

Maybe run the Heldrake as a Hell Blade, instead. 

And may I echo sfpanzer, congratulations on your impeccable taste in Gods.

EDIT - I would keep your Sorceror, he's likely to be more useful to your list overall than a Lord would be. Lords are just beat-sticks, really. 

Edited by Res Ipsa Loquitur, 25 February 2018 - 12:35 AM.

"I have of late - but wherefore I know not - lost all my mirth, forgone all custom of exercises; and indeed it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory; this most excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire, why, it appears no other thing to me than a foul and pestilential congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust? man delights not me: no, nor woman neither. Nor woman neither."

Posted Image

krakjen

krakjen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 25 posts

You can't go wrong with a winged Daemon Prince with Intoxicating Elixir and Daemon Strenght for maximum face punchiness.

hushrong

hushrong

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,007 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors
In this edition I really like rhinos. Before I never upgraded them but now I stick on an extra combi-bolter and havoc launcher if the points allow. They’ve been providing me great fire support for the infantry they carry. Plus, if need be I can charge them at things I want to tangle up with close combat and possibly deny shooting next turn.

Also tho edition I love sorcerers. Lords are great but I usually have them sitting back giving rerolls to shooty units. I’ve gone off the deep end this edition and have been using jump pack sorcerers with force axes this edition. I can drop them where I need them, they have great mobility, and can tangle with most threats. Even without that they are a great buffing unit and they can smite.

Not a terrible idea for infantry. For tank hunting would you consider raptors or bikers? Either drop down 9” away or rush up the board and plug them with meltas. I just think they can get to your target quicker and put down some hurt.

I personally feel meh about heldrakes this edition. I really think they are only good for whooshing up the field and trapping something in combat for a turn. If I bring mine it flies up to burn a unit with the baleflamer, which can be helpful against a heavy weapons team in cover, and charge them or something else my opponent has that I tangle up with close combat.

I haven’t used a helbrute for some time. I jumped to using contemptors. But I liked mine as gun platforms. I don’t see too much of a problem running a scourge and heavy bolter brute.

And I love havocs. I usually run missile launchers because I can choose one ammunition for tanks and another for infantry. Lascannons are also great tank killers as well. Whatever set up you go with be sure to have these boys marked for Slaanesh. You will want to spend CP on them.

And points would be better spent on Noise Marines or terminators over chosen. They can bring all kinds of weapons but they really don’t do do anything better I find as there are other units in our book that can. As stated if you want them standby we have units who are better at it and if you want shooty, well, there are other units better at it.

Praise be Slaanesh!
  • WarriorFish, Fortnight, Kierdale and 1 other like this
Black Legion: The Fire Rises
Emperor's Children: Cult of Golden Tears

Alpha Legion: The Heads of the Hydra Strike

noisyrat

noisyrat

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2 posts

Seems like you're looking to build a high mobility army that would bring the fight to the enemy? In that case definitely have a look at the Noise Marines and their Sonic Blasters, shooting after advancing is nothing to laugh about even at -1 to hit. Or just have your Chaos Lord on Steed tag along to reroll those 1.

And have a look at Sonic Dreadnoughts, basically a Helbrute with two Blastmasters.

• Fortnight likes this

Fortnight

Fortnight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,005 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

Sadly, Sonic Dreadnoughts aren't available for renegades, but they could be allied in, or just drop the renegade legion ability. Important to note, Sonic Dreadnaughts are still called Helbrutes and only differ in weapon options, so they still work with the fire frenzy strat, unlike all the other forgeworld dreads and helbrutes. I kind of expect this to eventually get FAQ'd to not work with them though.

As for chosen, I actually really like them in this edition, especially with slaanesh. Endless Cacophony on a unit with 5 plasma guns and a combi-plas can obliterate two units, and they can charge in to a third unit to tie up an entire backline in a single turn if used well. Havocs can do the same thing, almost as well, for fewer points, but I tend to always be short on HS slots. Terminators can do this as well, and without a transport, but its a lot more expensive, but a bit more reliable. 

I run mine at five with a combi-plas lord in an Achilles, and walk the line while using the land raider to support them as needed. I use a jump sorcerer to drop in for some prescience and warp time if I need to get somewhere fast, or I run out of command points. You could do something similar with a rhino, just make sure you have other targets so it makes it across the board.

I also like missile launchers right now, though I would go two and two with lascannons. Missile launchers are nearly as good as a lascannon, but have more versatility, however you'll really miss the las if you don't take them. Melta just doesn't have the punch it used to.

Edited by Fortnight, 28 February 2018 - 05:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users