Gathering Ideas

Lich King

I am planning on developing a Deathwatch army at some point soon, I plan on doing quite a lot of conversions. I want to make an army that can sort of deal with anything, and I want to eventually field a brigade detachment. Each of my models will be unique, each being from a different chapter, could I have some suggestions for what weapons would be good for what, and if combos are good, I've not played much of 8th Ed, or played any Deathwatch, so all help will be useful. 

I would suggest waiting until our codex is out before you get too far in.

Just wait a few more months as everything will (or at least they better) get revamped.

Sorry to be a buzzkill but things are very sideways for Deathwatch and arguably have been since 7th. To a new player I would say...don’t buy or build a darn thing to play with until they are redone. If you are doing this from a hobby perspective, it really won’t matter anyway, and you should be letting the aesthetics of the line guide your decision making.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - A Brigade worth of Deathwatch will probably put you close to 3000 pts

A good starting point would be storm shields and bolters (like old school legion breachers and such). Grouping up assault type weapons can also be good (shotguns, combi-flamers, combi-meltas and Frag Cannons) as those teams can advance and shoot. You'll want to pair your juicier weapons with storm shield guys so that you can try to protect them a little better.

Lastly I would say try not to go overboard with the toys. You really have to find a balance between meat shields and cool toys in the squads. Transports also help to some degree.

Tried and true pairs I've used:

- Frag cannon, shotguns and Combi-flamers

- SS/bolters and Frag cannons

- SS/bolters, termies and Frag Cannons

- Combi-meltas and SS/shotguns/bolters

- Stalker bolters and Missile Launchers

- Stalker bolters and Infernus/ Heavy bolters

- 4 Frag cannons with a Corvus Blackstar

- Veteran Vanguard with a Corvus Blackstar

- Watchmaster with combi-plasma guys in a drop pod