Extra Units in Matched Play

Quixus

I was wondering what the point is of gaining extra unit through abilities like summoning, the Horror splitting etc. when you have to set aside points for them beforehand in matched play. Sure you might get them into better positions but the risk of not being able to place them and/or the risk to another unit hardly makes these options viable. Am I missing something?

You're not missing anything. It's not a bad mechanic, it's just kind of redundant. 

Especially so with the DS strategem, especially especially so for mono-Allegiance forces and especially especially especially so for mono-Khorne/Slaanesh forces.

300 points at the whim of an immobile Character AND the Dice Gods or 2CP to DS forty(ish) Daemons anywhere you want (outside of 9", natch), exactly when you want. Seems a no-brainer to me, personally.

The only real advantage I can see is that reinforcement points don't count as reserves so you can still Summon units turn 4 and beyond, while reserves are destroyed if they're not on the table by turn 3. Last minute objective-grabs, I guess? Lesser Daemons can have ObSec at very little effort.

Edited by Res Ipsa Loquitur

The only real advantage I can see is that reinforcement points don't count as reserves

That is one of the merits of it yes., it allows you to start with less units on the table (better chance of getting first turn) and to keep those unit safe until needed.