77th Cadian Shock Troops

Ulrik_Ironfist

So, I'm at it again...

Crafting yet more fluff, for a guard force that is becoming more and more schizoid.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Depertmento Munitorum Dispatch+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

77th Cadian Shock Troops

"The Liberation Brigade"

Commander: Currently Unknown, Formerly Col. Erik Magnusson

Last Known Location: Cadia

The fate of the 77th is currently unknown, though scattered reports from the Fall of Cadia place remnants, approximately one battalion plus 3 orphaned companies, near one of the Cadian Pylons. Rumors hold that the 77th has liked up with remnants of Catellan Ursakar Creed's 8th Cadian regiment, to form a counter offensive. 

We are officially listing the 77th Cadian Shock Troops lost, and presumed destroyed. These men die as heroes for the Imperium.

The Emperor Protects.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++End Dispatch++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Incoming Transmission++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Subject: My Beloved Wife and Children

I hope this letter find you all well. This may be the last letter you receive from me, as we cannot hold this position much longer. I have a few moments to write this letter, so to you I entrust the last moments of our struggle. Tell everyone you can of the brave men that die here on Cadia. Remember Us.

I sit here, waiting for the enemy to come. After we landed, it was utter chaos. Once our boots hit the ground we began taking losses. Blast, I never expected heretics to fight like this. I have seen many battles on many worlds, I have faced down the Tau, Eldar, and Orks, and come through, but the heretics, are something else entirely. They came at us, ready to die, and we obliged them. By the thousands we did, but it wasn't enough. The Colonel died facing down a murderous traitor Astartes. That one took 20 of us to out down. I let him have every shot my power packs held, and he wouldn't die. The order came down from the Lieutenant to fix bayonets, and so we steeled ourselves for the fight. 

Perhaps I should back up, our battalion had been ordered to retake the gate, and so we did. But we did not have the support of the rest of the defense on our flanks, as their advance had been stalled. They faced Traitor Astartes in greater numbers, than we did. We faced down demons and renegades as we poured walking fire into their ranks. Colonel Magnusson came up on our rear bellowing orders and encouraging us onward, and so we pressed the attack. Until that traitor Astartes barreled in from our flank. Colonel Magnusson, ran him through with his sword, but it didn't slow the brute in the least. Before we could blink the Astartes hoisted the Colonel's limp body over his head and ripped him in two. We fired on the monster until our barrels overheated. Pvt. Jensen was the first to charge the Astartes, he landed a solid blow, but the traitor smashed him into paste. 

We took him down, but not after he had killed four or five more of us. We fought at the gates for days, cut off from resupply. We were low on everything, even, I am ashamed to say, faith. It was then, at our lowest point that we were rescued. Short lived as it may be. The Castellan himself arrived with his mighty 8th regiment, and took command. It was magnificent. 

We now have renewed purpose, as we await the next assault, Creed having taken command of the remains of our regiment. Creed and Kell are amazing, and we have the support of the Knight Commander as well! With this, we should be able to retake Cadia. Pray for us, as I pray for strength.

I fight for Cadia, I fight for the Emperor, I fight for you. Remember my Beloved, I love y-

++++++++++++++++++++++++Transmission Interrupted+++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Adeptus Terra Information Record+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By all accounts the 77th is counted as lost along with the rest of Cadia. The 77th was notable as being a veteran regiment, Consisting of a large number of Kasrkin. Here is the Historical Unit organization:

HHC:

Commander and staff

Executive Officer

Personnel Officer (Lord Commissar) and staff

Intel Officer and staff

Operations Officer and staff

Logistics Officer and staff

Plans Officer and staff

Communications Officer and staff

The Regiment is made up of 4 Infantry Battalions each with identical makeup:

IB:

A Company (Jaeger)

B Company (Jaeger)

C Company (Jaeger)

D Company (Grenadier)

E Company (Grenadier)

HHC

The Regiment Includes a Special Troops Battalion:

STB:

A Company (Veteran)

B Company (Veteran)

C Company (Veteran)

Engineer Company

Military Intelligence Company

Signals Company

HHC

There is an Armored Cavalry Squadron

CAV:

A Troop (Tank)

B Troop (Tank)

C Troop (Tank) 

D Troop (Sentinel)

HHT

A Field Artillery Battalion made up of 4 Batteries:

FAB:

A Battery (Basilisk)

B Battery (Wyvern)

C Battery (Manticore)

D Battery (Heavy Mortar)

HHB

Finally Regimental Support Battalion of 7 identical Companies and a Headquarters Company, dedicated to transportation, maintenance, logistics, medical, and the field kitchens, supports the regiment. 

The 77th Has seen successful campaigns against some of the Imperium's most dangerous foes:

Numerous battles in the Damocles Gulf, against T'au, Ork, Eldar, and Necron foes.

The 77th was rerouted in transit to the Fenris System, when the 13th Black Crusade turned its eye on Cadia. The 77th was among the first wave of reinforcements to reach Cadia. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++End of Record++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

=====================] [=====================

Inquisition Record

For Official Use Only

Memorandum For Record: Ordo Malleus and Ordo Hereticus

Subject: Inquisitorial Assessment of the 77th Cadian Shock Troops Regiment

It was unknown how the 77th would fare against the forces of Chaos, given their prior combat experience has been exclusively against Xenos Forces. According to Inquisitorial reports during the Fighting on Cadia, the 77th proved capable against chaos. Though, a letter intercepted by the Inquisition, indicates that the Regiment's faith had faltered, it seemed that they remained loyal to the Imperium despite this. It is possible that these men continue to fight merely out of will to survive, or perhaps a misguided sens of comraderie. 

It matters not, as long as they fight. If they survive, they will surely be tainted, and will be purged regardless. Their unit has served with Astartes Forces From the Space Wolves Chapter, which may indicate that their purge might prove difficult, as we may see a repeat of the First War Of Armageddon. Regardless, reassessment may be necessary as they are a veteran unit, and those might be in short supply in the future. 

The situation on Cadia as well as the 77th Regiment bear closer scrutiny, and I will continue my diligence in the coming days.

Ave Imperator,

Your Humble Servant

Inquisitor Irenaeus

Record Ends

==================================][==================================

As long as they get reinforcements, they shall endure! The near destruction of the 77th gives me an excuse as to why I use Creed, Kell, and Pask, with troops that are not the Cadian 8th. 

I wish that I had Pask's actual model though. I'm thinking about getting the Ryza Pattern Vanquisher turret from FW, adding Pask and the Command upgrade sprue to make my command tank, really awesome.

I'm also debating whether or not to add a couple Squads of Ogryns, to put in my Valkyries. I really like Ogryns, even though Bullgryns are objectively better. I'm also thinking that reinforcing with ratlings would be a good Idea as well. 

This Is also considering that I want to add some Basilisks and a second Wyvern. 

Do I want to add a Guard CC unit lie ogryns, or should I just look to my Marine Armies for some CC goodness?

So my thought is to get some bullgryns, and arm them with slabshields and mauls, an then run them up the board in Valkyries, then grav chute them and move them their full 6" and then charge the unit I plunked them near. 

With all of the fire support I have, this should be a nice change.

• 2 weeks later...

As Guard don't do combat much pretty much any CC unit would do :P I'd not go too far on the elite spectrum though, as that would just make them easier targets for weapons that might not find a decent target on a Guard army. Mobility would be good too so I also like the idea of jump troops :tu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have made the purchase of 2 squads of old metal Ogryns. They will hopefully arrive soon to be my new assault element, and I have decided to convert 30 of my cadian vets into conscripts.

I know that conscripts are bad, and I know that they take a ton of work to make them efficient, but I like the idea of having a sacrificial squad of dudes to assault things.

It's my vision to have the conscripts go "over the top" and assault forward and take on the opponent's front line and drown them in corpses. Part of me also wants to take them as a separate patrol to work the Valhallan doctrine for respawning conscripts.

My Ogryns arrived today, and so reinforcements are inbound. 

They're the old metal ones, so they look a bit goofy, but y'all know me, I'm a sucker for metal models. I had to have some kind of assault unit though, and ogryns and conscripts seem to fit the bill. 

Im 4/5 of the way through completing my metal Ogryns.

They still look great and not out of place on the table.

They're a bit smaller than the new ones, but of the reason is hunch and stance. Shouldnt be an issue though.

Looking forward to seeing them painted up. Maybe we should have a race to first finished? :lol:

No can do on the race. One of them is still in a chemical bath. Whoever had it before me used some really disgusting paint. To compound issues, I have several large papers due soon, as well as a court case to examine.

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to scour my bits box and see what I can build. What I have come up with is 3 inquisitors (made from scions), 2 Astropaths (made from aircrew bodies and guardsman bits), and I think 2 Primaris Psykers (also from aircrew bodies and guardsman bits). Cloaks, hoods, and tabbards will be made from greenstuff. 

This will be my first real conversion project, just in time for ETL!

I'll post my progress.

I have my Inquisitors built, I just need to add hoods. 

Steps 1 and 2 of my conscript conversion project have been completed. I have located 25 lasguns, and de-armed the once veterans, and I have purged the xenos heresy from them as well. I just need to glue the new lasgun arms in place and re-prime and they'll be good to go for ETL. I'll have 2 Squads of 20 to pledge. 

I have a couple of additions to make, as what I'm keeping as veterans are catachan models, I want to get Marbo and Harker to fill out a vanguard. 

Archived