40k Wordbearers and Deathguard

• 1 month later...

I'm not dead! Massive apologies for the delay in posting here, and sorry I never replied to the last wave of comments! Thank you so much for all of the comments, they really mean a lot! Having been a quiet lurker on these forums for so many years, it's really hard not to slip back into old habits - maybe it's a social anxiety thing? I find it very difficult posting on here, even just simple comments on other people's work, so it's much easier to quietly browse without getting involved, but let's not get into that now...

I've still been slowly plodding along with my Wordbearers, so time for an update;

The start of a CSM squad, I showed WIP photos of a couple of these guys earlier in the thread

gallery_15681_14268_422653.jpg

I need to finish off the bases and do a few touch ups across the models, so I'll get better photos soon. I like to start squads with the champion/seargant and a few rank and file goons, then add some more interesting guys to the squad later once I have a better idea of the feel of the squad, so nothing too exciting here; mainly kitbashes between varios sm/csm kits. Will probably add a standard bearer to the squad soon, and some guys with trophies if I can find suitable parts.

I've also made a start on the second posessed;

gallery_15681_14268_117356.jpg

gallery_15681_14268_268118.jpg

and a size comparison with the first:

gallery_15681_14268_282442.jpg

This guy started out when I realised a Genestealler Cult Abberant torso roughly matches in scale with primaris legs, then I just started messing around with other parts and greenstuff. He has a hand from a poxwalker, an arm from the old Chaos mutation sprue, and backpack parts from the DV Chosen and the MKIII kit. I like the idea that his helmet and backpack are being absorbed into his body as it twists and swells, so I've continued the spine from the torso onto both parts and started to sculpt twisted muscle/flesh growing over the parts. Not sure what else needs doing with this guy, I'm making it up as I go so any suggestions are welcome! Will definitely be adding some parchment/impurity seals to tie in with his brother.

Thanks guys!

Gederas, creepy is definitely good! Im trying to avoid the goofy look of the official GW models so it sounds like I'm on the right track!

Hushrong, thanks buddy :smile.:

Pearson, glad you like! I may have said earlier in this thread that I always give a little extra attention to the focal point of a model, which is usually the eyes or head in general. Helps to distract from other areas where I may have cut a few corners!

Just a really quick update for tonight, no progress on the existing models but I may have started posessed number 3...

gallery_15681_14268_377697.jpg

It's not much more than a rough sketch at this point, but I like where it's heading. The head will definitely need a ton of work, and I want to find an open hand for the left (our right) claw.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated as always!

Lovin' it! What do you want to do for the head? As for an open hand for his left hand how about some of those termie fists from the Betrayal at Calth or Burning of Prospero boxes? Plenty of terminator power fists in there and one for power armor marines. I'm guessing you just cut part of the fist away from each, swap, and sculpt in gaps.

The new squad is looking great, if a bit more bread & butter than some of the other guys so far. That helmet spliced together from an Mk. III helmet and a Bloodreaver head is one sweet conversion, though -- almost looks like some kind of ceremonial mask.

Looking forward to seeing the next Gal'Vorbak take shape. The first guy looks really promising, although I'd say he maybe seems a bit too much like a victim to the mutations that wrack his mortal form -- maybe replacing his right arm with something a bit more impressive (and bulky) would make him look even cooler. I also really *hate* the head on the most recent guy, but since you're talking about it needing a lot more work, I am really looking forward to seeing what you have planned for it.

As always, keep up the amazing work! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone :smile.:

Vairocanum, not sure about magic but I'll certainly try to do something!

hushrong, the powerfist from burning of prospero was perfect, thanks for the suggestion! The arm pose works nicely too, so the easiest solution was to saw off the back of the clawed hand, file the mk3 fist flat and join the parts together. My original plan was exactly as you suggested, but splicing in just the hand would be a fiddly job!

KrautScientist, as usual I'm blown away by your ability to identify parts! splicing the two helmets together took longer than I'd care to admit, so I'm glad the work is appreciated!

You raise an interesting point about the Gal Vorbak / Posessed, who's really in control? I like to think it's a constant struggle between daemon and host, alternating between lucidity and insanity... so you may say he's a victim to his mutations, I just think you've caught him at a bad moment! You could be right about the arm though, any suggestions for a suitable replacement?

And regarding the head of the latest guy... I'm at a loss. I know it has potential, and it definitely suits the pose of the model, but there's a very good reason it's sat in my bits box for the last 10 years!

I feel I've hit a bit of a road block with the posessed, so updates are pretty minor. The topless fellow has the beginnings of a loincloth now, and his friend has had a little more done. Definitely struggling with his head, as mentioned above, but I just don't know what else I'd use - nothing in my bits box works... I'm not against ordering parts online if anyone has a good idea?

gallery_15681_14268_633232.jpg

As the posessed haven't progressed much, my attention has wondered elsewhere... some of you may remember I used a Helbrute leg plate for one of my terminators, which poses the interesting question of how do I build the model without that one crucial part?

gallery_15681_14268_455779.jpg

Well, it turns out the fist arms from that kit make pretty impressive legs with a little tweaking. Everything's held together with blu-tac at the moment, so there'll be a ton of sculpting work to be done! He's a little bow legged at the moment, so I'll most likely chop the legs up again before I'm happy. Arms will be tricky, the kit is super limiting and restrictive of posing - give me a good old fashioned ball and socket joint any day!

That's an awesome pose for the Helbrute! I can imagine it screaming at the enemy with a couple of vicious power fists. I'm eager to see how it comes along, because I might have to pinch the idea next time I build one :D

Holy! You used the helbrute hands and arms for the legs? That looks brilliant! That thing have to be pretty tall, maybe contemptor in height? The extra Khorgorath bit and the skull are a nice touch!

Thanks for the comments guys!

gezabutla, a pair of power fists could be pretty tricky now I've used the arms! I do still have the hands, so I could make it work... Watch this space!

hushrong, contemptor height is about right, give or take. The khorgorath bits fit pretty nicely, I just wish I could find uses for more of that giant hunk of plastic!

ElDuderino, I completely agree the helbrute legs are just a bit off - the arms are so massive that the stock model seems completely out of proportion!

I've not done any more work on the model yet, but I thought a size comparison may be of interest. I dug out my contemptor from when B@C first came out, it was pretty heavily converted but I think it's more or less stock height.

gallery_15681_14268_671156.jpg

Once I got a head in the new guy they should stand about eye to eye, but the helbrute has a little extra height from its higher back and smoke stacks.

Yeah, I liked my khorgorath. They do have great bits to use but aside from daemons or spawn it's tough to sneak one into 40k. I had been thinking about using one as a mutilator for Heralds of Ruin since I would only need one but I do not know if he'd be too big.

Seeing the new brute from this angle that beast never skipped leg day. It's not too crazy though. I just love that he is that huge. He is really giving me a cyberdemon from DOOM feel.

For the head on the possessed on the right, I think the solution is simple: green stuff sculpted around the head to give a wider and more gradual fleshy transition into the armor plate. From the head at the level of his eyes to the shoulder joint. I think this would effectively balance out the “big fat head” look and also merge the two kits stylistically a bit more. From there, once (if?) shoulder pads are added, that should balance out the added bulk to his center. Edited by Juggernut

Not sure whether or not I've already commented on that mutated Contemptor, so just in case: That thing is absolutely fantastic! Excellent work on the WIP Helbrute as well -- that is a really clever use for those Khorgorath bitz. This thread really keeps going from strentgh to strength! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay everyone, it's been so hot lately It's hard to sit under a lamp working on models! Not to mention all the apparantly more important jobs that come with the summer time, cutting hedges and the like... ah well, I've been chipping away slowly at the Helbrute, in short sessions here and there. Apologies for the messy desk, it's too late to be tidying up to stage better photos....

front:

gallery_15681_14268_628999.jpg

back:

gallery_15681_14268_460428.jpg

and a higher view, I feel the pose makes more sense from this angle.

gallery_15681_14268_1237213.jpg

He's grown arms since the last photos, using parts from the Khorgorath spliced in with helbrute parts. I've also added plasticard armour plates to the shins, which I feel improves the proportions of the legs a great deal - sculpted trim and detail will follow soon. You may notice I've decided to go down the Deathguard route with this chap, mainly because I don't think it quite fits alongside my Word Bearers contemptor. Should make the sculpting a bit easier and more fun anyway!

hushrong; I think every day is leg day for this guy! I had to google the cyberdemon, but that is pretty bad-ass, so I'm happy this guy's giving off a similar vibe :biggrin.:

Juggernaut, I like your thinking, I'll definitely give that a go when I get back to the posessed

Pearson73, steal away! I'm certainly not the first person to beef up the helbrute legs, but I'm not sure I've come across anyone mad enough to attempt it in quite the same way yet... it'll certainly take a bit of sculpting to make this conversion work!

Vairocanum, thanks buddy!

KrautScientist, I don't think I've shared the contemptor before, but glad you like it! It was made a few years back so there're a few things I'd do differently now, but I'm always my own harshest critic... and I've been itching to use the Khorgorath bits for so long now, I'm glad to finally have a use for it with this helbrute.

Fantastic update! The plastic shins really do help out the proportions on the leg. Interested in what you will do to to customize those bits. The arms also look to be on the righteous path. He looks ready to tear into something that stands in his way!

This update made my day!

golly that brute is amazing! The sheer size of it is crazy. It also goes to show how tall it would have to be to make it look less stocky and the model fit the torso nicely. Really looking forward to seeing how this comes on

That Contemptor is fab. Based on the character word bearer one, right? Great job.

The Helbrute is a beast with those legs. The head looks great for Nurgle, it looks like he has fly eyes. Looking forward to him.

EDIT: went back and looked through the rest of the thread.

You’ve got some brilliant characters here. The possessed and terminators are fantastic. You’ve matched the Gal Vorbak style very well.

Great stuff!

Edited by Krakendoomcool