Death Guard vs the Tournament

McElMcNinja

Well my goal going in was to see how I would do against cut throat lists. Now had I understood the scoring system going in I think I could have won game 2. My second loss was my fault, had I just sat back and left the baneblade alone I could have killed everything else on the board. But I thought it would be fun to take it out and these guys weren't playing for fun the way I was.

So the first thing I would change is my play style, I would concentrate more on getting points and not just trying to kill everything on the board. At my local shop we usually just have slugfests and try to table each other.

I think my list was solid and if (IF) I were to change anything it would be the Poxwalkers. The only combat they saw was against a carnifex and rarely got shot at. So I may try 3 5 man squads of plague marines, giving me 3 more special weapons.

The Tallyman didn't do much at all, so I may swap him for a another Blightspawn. His weapon is too good to only have 1 on the board.

I am also considering 5 more Terminators, but I really have to do the math on that before I get to ahead of myself.

Everyone I played was surprised at the fact I had 3 haulers and they killed way more points then they cost. My last 2 games I didn't even use them for their cover bonus after turn 1. With their 10" move I was able to zip around the board and take out big threats easily. So good alpha strike protection, 24 wounds with great saves and DR, 3 heavy hitters that place as 1 unit choice. I was set up first in all but the last game, just got the initiative stolen twice with 6's.

Great report and congrats on the placing! I have been following your progress for some time now and I have learned slot from your experience. I have been on an extended hiatus from the game but I might dip my toe back into the pool with Death Guard.

Well I have run10 quite often. But I started using 1 squad of 10 over 2 x 5 just to maximize Strategem and Psychic buffs.

It’s definitely a double edged sword because you start adding more and more to make your deep strike more effective but this inevitably pulls away from your back lines. It’s a juggling game that I’m not sure is worth it. I need to test the Haulers out more to justify it.

The Tallyman comment could be very true for you. My infantry lists focus more on Poxwalkers than yours, so I could be turning any infantry into them, hitting an opponent 10” away with part of the squad, and rerolling all to hits with a S5 Poxwalker squad using Bkades of Putrefaction. I can say from personal experience, if you hit someone with this, the Tallyman does shine. But your list is more elite troops than mine so perhaps his ability isn’t worth it.

I didn't get to use his reroll ability, but I agree he is a better option then a lord when it comes to a unit of cc. I can see the advantage, it's just a matter of me finding the right place for him and my play style.

I have nothing against Poxwalkers and Typhus, I just prefer Plague Marines over them. Then use them to fill any spots I may have left.

I didn't get to use his reroll ability, but I agree he is a better option then a lord when it comes to a unit of cc. I can see the advantage, it's just a matter of me finding the right place for him and my play style.

I have nothing against Poxwalkers and Typhus, I just prefer Plague Marines over them. Then use them to fill any spots I may have left.

For sure... there's nothing wrong with that. To be honest I get sick of the Poxwalkers. I swear there are too many games where they flat out win it for me. Especially against Orks and Nids where I am converting them at an alarming rate. 

I've noticed the Tallyman's CP regen is more of a secondary reason to take him. It's great when it activates, but that's only 16.67%, or 1 out of 6 stratagems. If the list ins't really backed up by strong melee units that are going to keep in his aura, or even swarms of buffed pox (typhus or psyker), than a Blightspawn would be better if only for the danger the sewer gun represents.

That being said, I had a game on Saturday that highlighted all of his strengths. He regained me 3 CP, which let me be a bit aggressive with burning them on key rerolls for Deathshroud Invuls, while also giving full rerolls to 2 of my five man marine squads, Mamon, a blighthauler, a blightbringer, and deathshroud. Now granted my buddy was using a fairly for fun Kraken Nid list that was 3 units of termagaunts, 3 units of hormagaunts, a big unit of gargoyles and 4 broodlords; the mostly short ranged and weight of fire nature didn't help very much against my mid range, lots of flame weapons (2 spitter drones, mamon, 4 hand flamers off deathshroud) and general resiliency, but the end result of having full rerolls to hit and wound for most units in melee was very nice