Nice paintjob on the autoquill servitor, especially the script work, it's something I can never get looking good. The choice of head on the astropath looks just right,.

That astropath is great! It's very close to the artwork, even with that ring on his hand. I am assuming that is a hand and a ring in the picture. The bodyguard and big boy are suitably awesome as well!

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

@ Pearson73: The secret to the script work is to not even try to freehand it using a brush, but to use an ultra-thin pigment liner: That approach makes for a far better result and is much less stressful -- at least if, like me, you lack the cutting edge brush control ;)

@ malcharion & hushrong: Cheers, gents! :)

So, another update: Started painting the Astropath today. Here's what he looks like right now:

astropath-pip-2.jpg

Still quite a bit of fine tuning left to be done, but I think you can already get a fairly good idea of what the finished model will look like.

As always, let me know what you think! :)

The (Wayne England) grimace really conveys a lot, even when you look at the artwork and he has a slight gap in his mouth. Another great homage. The shiny black torso really leans into the Giger influenced ribbing.

Great stuff as per usual Kraut.
Great to see you channelling Dave England. Absolutely love his artwork! dare I say even more so than balanch?
I'm pretty sure I cried when I hear about his passing.
For me Dave's artwork is what I think of when it comes to 40k just as much as Johns and its nice to see it coming out in your work.  

Cheers for the comments, gents! :smile.:

So here's the finished Astropath:

ordo-scriptorum-astropath-7.jpg

ordo-scriptorum-astropath-9.jpg

ordo-scriptorum-astropath-10.jpg

ordo-scriptorum-astropath-8.jpg

And here's a - slightly tweaked - comparison picture showing the artwork and the actual model side by side:

astropath-comparison.jpg

Next up on the painting table, these two:

ordo-scriptorum-bodyguard-and-servo-skul

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

Hurray! Another excellent finish. I do miss some scripture on his eye bandage, though - it might be a way to push your freehand skills?

I love the comparison shot: you've knocked it out of the park, dude.

On to the assassin/bodyguard - btu I'm looking forward to the meat packer!!

Cheers, guys! :smile.:

@ Auggs: I did think about adding some lettering to that blindfold *a lot*, but in the end, there's barely enough space there to make legible letters, and if the entire result is that the bandage ends up looking weird and overly busy, it's just not worth it. A shame, certainly, but I feel like it's the right decision.

So I only have a servo-skull to share with y'all today, because most of my painting time has been consumed by a non-GW project. But servo-skulls are a fun, quintessental part of 40k, and also sensible familiar choices for Inquisitors in INQ28, so here goes:

ordo-scriptorum-servo-skull-2.jpg

ordo-scriptorum-servo-skull-1.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

@ Naryn: Indeed, that's the one -- it did have that slightly sinister, but also very elegant vibe that I think fits the Ordo Scriptorum rather well.

@ Auggs: Like I said before, buddy, the pages were cut from a paper placemat ;)

No Ordo Scriptorum related updates for today, as I am still working on the next model for the retinue. I do, however, have something to share you, as I've started messing around with a Tech-Priest Dominus and some bitz in order to create a model for my AdMech warband for INQ28. Now this guy is still mostly a bit of a thought-experiment at this point, and it may be quite a while before you see him again, but here's what I have so far:

archmagos-early-wip-1.jpg

archmagos-early-wip-2.jpg

In fact, in the absence of any other content, and seeing how they have already been name-dropped several times, allow me to share a look at the Tech-Priests of Korhold I have so far:

korhold.png

=][=

The Magi of Korhold:

the-magi-of-korhold.jpg

Korhold is the Velsen Sector's resident enclave of the Adeptus Mechanicus. The name serves as a designation for both the cluster of stars forming the Tech-Priests' domain and the actual forgeworld turning at the centre of it, Korhold Ultima.

Following an attack by the fallen Magos Amnon Helix that ultimately resulted in the death of Korhold's Magos Intendant, Magos Domina Calista Syntax, fifty years ago, the Tech-Priests of Korhold have become even more suspicious and paranoid than the rest of their secretive order. As a result, the Magi of Korhold refuse to ever let their domain be ruled by one Magos alone, lest the same kind cataclysm befall them again. Korhold is thus governed by a council of senior Tech-Priests, yet the inherent factionalism of the Adeptus Mechanicus leads to frequent power struggles and politiicking within the priesthood.

As another line of defense against future attacks from within or without, the Machine Lords of Korhold have made it their business to know things, even beyond the usual remit of their order, which has turned them into a deep and sector-wide source of intelligence. The data-vaults of Korhold are rumored to house both unimaginable repositories of ancient knowledge as well as vast amounts of information that, if only revealed or suppressed at the right time, might be forged into raw political power…

This warband was my way to explore my long lasting obsession with the brilliantly creepy Adeptus Mechanicus without having to commit to an entire AdMech army. That being said, there'll be many more members to this particular warband at some point -- in fact, many of them have already been built, yet remain unpainted for now. The finished characters fo far are:

Front row, from left to right:

• Magos Zoltan Phract, a rising star in the hierarchy of Korhold, in spite of his relative youth. Phract's coldly logical, some would say callous, actions during a worker's uprising on Silon Minoris, have earned him the notice of his peers.
  • Genetor Karras Grendel, an eccentric member of the Organicist creed, fascinated with the possibilities and limits of the organic.
  • A Datascryer, Korhold's own sect of information gatherers, the Datascyers's task is to delve deep into the datastreams, to cross-reference and spot hidden patterns or singularities. And to coax hidden meaning from the memory banks of ancient artefacts.

Back row:

• Chimeric Servitor: Chimeric Servitors are the often eclectic, sometimes grotesque, creations of Genetor Grendel. Some of these creations are quickly abandoned, their aesthetic qualities incapable of holding the Genetor’s attention for long, while others may serve their master for years or even decades, repaired and reshaped time and time again to their creator’s needs. Karras Grendel is a true artist, and even among his colleagues, there are few who can understand his mercurial moods.

What are you? A wizard!?

This is an awesome looking crew! The new guy with the claw feet looks awesome and I think he would do well with a sweet hood and robe if you go this route. The crew is also awesome. The big hulk in the back is intimidating.

So, after the short Adeptus Mechanicus intermezzo, here's an update on Inquisitor Orlant's masked bodyguard:

masked-bodyguard-pip-1.jpg

masked-bodyguard-pip-2.jpg

masked-bodyguard-pip-3.jpg

The photos are from last night, I am currently completing the finishing touches and doing the base.