@ Gederas: Yeah, that's exactly the reason why I have wanted to go with darker skin for quite a while now, and this model seemed like a good occasion to give it a try -- that and I didn't want her to end up looking too similar to Alizebeth Selandrine, seeing how they are both based on Dark Eldar Wyches.

So here's the finished model:

masked-bodyguard-1.jpg

masked-bodyguard-2.jpg

masked-bodyguard-3.jpg

masked-bodyguard-4.jpg

And here's another look at Inquisitor Orlant's - nearly finished - retinue:

ordo-scriptorum-warband-6.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Assassin looks fantastic! I love how you turned that helm into a carnival mask and the dark skin tones too.

The group shot just oozes awesomeness. I have enjoyed all your different groups and retinues but Inquisitor Orlant's retinue is the bees knees for me.

Cheers for the kind words, everyone! I really appreciate it! :smile.:

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Hmm, I am actually thinking of these models in terms of characters, rather than gaming rules, which is why the masked bodyguard strikes me as a melee fighter, above all else -- well, that and there's also the fact that I couldn't find a single pistol holster sleek enough to not ruin her silhouette :wink:

That being said, if push comes to shove, she does have throse throwing knives/blades sheathed on her back...

Edited by KrautScientist

Cheers, Atia! :)

Just a small update for today: I was able to pick up some very cool secondhand models from a fellow hobbyist earlier this week. Of particular note are a couple of pieces from the old 40k Inquisition releases. I finally managed to get my hands on the fat scribe I mentioned recently, for instance, along with his slimmer colleague:

oop-inquisition-scribes.jpg

These two gentlemen are currently reclining in a nice, comfortable paint stripper bath ;) And while they would work perfectly in just about any INQ28 retinue, I feel they would make particularly good retainers for Countess Mandelholtz, wouldn't you agree?

I also picked up some OOP servo-skulls froma round the same time:

oop-servo-skulls.jpg

Sigh, those early 2000s Inquisition releases certainly had their high points -- a shame GW never followed them up with a proper Ordo Xenos Codex and an accompanying model release... :(

AH, good to see your eBay bits-finding skillz have been put to good use. I suggest clipping those stands from the servo skulls though, and replacing them with thinner metal, like a paperclip or something. Or perhaps use a greenstuff roller to make something that they drag along as a connection thingy (like the DI Bloat Drones have) :tu:

Cheers, buddy! And yeah, it's pretty weird how some of the servo-skulls use those clunky stands when smarter ways to create the illusion of a floating servo-skull existed even back then -- after all, the third skull is being held aloft by trailing cables and parchment, which is a far more elegant solution, isn't it? But then, that's basically the early 2000s Inquisition releases in a nutshell, with models ending up either completely finatastic (the scribes and servants) or barely competent (most of the actual Inquisitors, for example).

As part of the same bitz drop, I was also able to get my hands on some Space Hulk Genestealer models: Building a small Genestealer cult retinue at one point has been a plan of mine for a long time, and it was always clear to me that a) I would want to include some Genestealers to serve as possible mini-bosses and Xenomorph-style horrors and b) those Genestealers would have to come from the Space Hulk boxed set, as those are just the best Genestealers available, in my opinion. Now I was only able to get four of them, but this should be enough, plus some of my favouites were part of the deal:

space-hulk-genestealers.jpg

Possibly the best part of the Space Hulk Genestealers is how they interact with their surroundings, Xenomorph-style, which also seems absolutely perfect when using them in INQ28 and/or Necromunda underhive-style affairs: The guy climbing down a wall is just freaking brilliant!

I was also able to pick up this guy, the Space Hulk Broodlord:

space-hulk-broodlord-wip-1.jpg

A personal favourite of mine, this one: He's so massive and monstrous, and the composition and pose are just delightful: Both the current plastic Broodlord and the Genestealer Patriarch are clearly based on this model, yet both of them seem like inferior, dumbed-down spin-off versions to me. So this creature will serve as the Patriarch for my cult, whenever the project happens. I just had to change one thing about him: He was clutching a Terminator helmet in one of his claws, which really doesn't fit the scope of INQ28, so I  carefully dug out the helmet and replaced it with a human ribcage bit:

space-hulk-broodlord-wip-2.jpg

After a bit of cleanup, this element should work rather well, as the Broodlord has a human skull in another one of his claws -- this should make him look as though he were just pulling the remains of a victim limb from limb...

There's also half a dozen additional Terminator helmets on his base, but those should be easy enough to cover up with MOAR SKULLZ ;)

Can't believe I missed this thread. Inquisitor Orlant and retinue are fantastic. I really like how you have made each model so very different but still made them into a cohesive group by using the same palette on each. I am a bit blown away with how cool they are :tu:. Great stuff KS.

Nemac

Thanks a lot, Nemac! That is very nice of you to say! :)

So here are the two scribes, mostly stripped and almost as good as new:

oop-inquisition-scribes-2.jpg

I cannot begin to tell you how much I love that fat scribe -- such a delightful looking little model! :)

Oh, and I am also working on the next member for the Road Crew:

sawdude-pip-1.jpg

He may not be super spectacular, but he already works fairly well with the rest of the gang:

sawdude-pip-2.jpg

Great to see some xenos from your hand, and that new guy for the Road Crew... He looks like the kind of guy that would have a gay-ol' time with some teenagers in a swamp.

Hidden Content
I mean, of course, the Flinstones kind of gay-ol' time, btw.
Hidden Content
Not whatever you are thinking that isn't related to the Flinstones.

Also:

[...] MOAR SKULLZ :wink:

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

I think MOAR SKULLZ is always a good idea. ;)

Cheers, guys! :)

Great to see some xenos from your hand, and that new guy for the Road Crew... He looks like the kind of guy that would have a gay-ol' time with some teenagers in a swamp.

Haha, he does look like some kind of teen-slasher villain, doesn't he? I'll admit I already thought that when originally building him as a one-off model. But when I later drafted him into the Road Crew, it kinda made sense because there is that 'mutant madman' angle to the crew, on top of the Mad Max angle and the tragic gladiator angle, and I really like how the project has grown to encompass all kinds of postapocalyptic tropes.

Also:

Hidden Content
Hidden Content

You mean like that one time just the other day, when your 'auto-correction' just subbed in 'lesbianism'? *wink* *nudge*

Haha, he does look like some kind of teen-slasher villain, doesn't he? I'll admit I already thought that when originally building him as a one-off model. But when I later drafted him into the Road Crew, it kinda made sense because there is that 'mutant madman' angle to the crew, on top of the Mad Max angle and the tragic gladiator angle, and I really like how the project has grown to encompass all kinds of postapocalyptic tropes.
He makes me think of Leatherface. Probably because of the chainsaw in all honesty.

Hidden Content
Hidden Content

You mean like that one time just the other day, when your 'auto-correction' just subbed in 'lesbianism'? *wink* *nudge*

Good point...

giphy.gif

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Cheers, guys! ;)

@ Gederas: Haha, he even has the stitched leather (?!) mask, so yeah ;)

Anyway, here's the finished model:

sawdude-pip-3.jpg

sawdude-pip-4.jpg

I can't quite make up my mind as to whether or not to add a blood effect to his chainsaw (and also to the skull peaking from the bag o' bones on his back): On the one hand, I think it would fit the character rather nicely, on the other hand - and due to the way a chainsaw works - it would have to go all around the blade and be quite a bit of blood, which I am usually not a great fan of: Blood effects can end up looking silly really quickly, after all. Any thoughts?

I can't quite make up my mind as to whether or not to add a blood effect to his chainsaw (and also to the skull peaking from the bag o' bones on his back): On the one hand, I think it would fit the character rather nicely, on the other hand - and due to the way a chainsaw works - it would have to go all around the blade and be quite a bit of blood, which I am usually not a great fan of: Blood effects can end up looking silly really quickly, after all. Any thoughts?

The new guy looks awesome all finished up like that.

As to the blood effect, it's simple really: Add the blood to the tips of the chainsaw's blades, then figure out where he's swinging it, and add blood splatter there. The way his chainsaw is designed looks like the area to most likely hit opponents would be the upper area of the chainsaw.

Also: Yes to the blood on the bones.

He looks like a slasher movie villain. So there should be blood on him :lol:

Side note: What happened to Cirque? Haven't seen him in a while :lol: He, along with your Slaughterpriest-based Gladitorial Angron, was actually an inspiration for one of my Inquisimunda kitbashes (which is actually the most recent model in my WIP thread).

Edited by Gederas

Cheers for the feedbac, guys! :)

As to the blood effect, it's simple really: Add the blood to the tips of the chainsaw's blades, then figure out where he's swinging it, and add blood splatter there. The way his chainsaw is designed looks like the area to most likely hit opponents would be the upper area of the chainsaw.

Erm, yes and no -- after all, the chain is actually moving around the entire head of the axe, so there would at least have to be blood on the entire chain, which might end up being a bit much, visually...?!

As for Cirque, funny you should mention him -- I've just undercoated him for tomorrow's painting session -- actually, come to think of it, maybe he should be the guy for the blood effect, seeing how the sawblade is a bit smaller on him, and the blood has less of a chance to overwhelm the entire model...

Wow, some awesome stuff in here! I'm particularly fond of the worker robot and the Grimdark Maggie Smith.

Also, what colours do you have in mind for the Genestealers? I reckon it'd be neat if you did a pseudo-metallic scheme for them; metallic colours do appear on some IRL organisms (mainly fish and insects) and I reckon if done right it could give a really cool effect, a bit like the Alien. Perhaps go for a very bright base colour and then heavily drybrush it with a dull silver? As an example of the effect I mean:

http://www.preternia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/IMG_8618.jpg

As it happens, When I saw the Broodlord at first I got confused and didn't realize he'd been stripped- I thought the blue paint stuck in the recesses was painted bioluminesence!