How easy are you finding it to modify the easy-to-build Primaris?

I suspect that your conversion-fu is greater than mine, but I'm tempted to pick up a box of the easy-to-build Intercessors to Deathwatchicise or convert into Red Hunters to serve alongside my (still theoretical, mostly in bits form) Ordo Militum cadre.

@ TURBULENCE: Aw, that is so nice of you to say! Cheers nevertheless! As for sending me bitz, that's always awesome -- I'll PM you ASAP, though, so we can work out what I can help you with in return, so hold your horses until then, alright? ;)

@ golfdeltafoxtrot:

Hmm, my reply to your question is twofold:

On the one hand, I think they are pretty easy to modify: Simple head replacements, arm swaps or stuff like that can be done without any cutting at all, and even pretty involved stuff (like grafting that Kataphron breastplate to the Iron Hand) were pretty simple to achieve with a bit of deft cutting and some patience. So if it's one or two Primaris you are after, the Easy To Build models are an inexpensive way to make it happen.

If, on the other hand, you are already thinking about a full squad (even a small one), I'd probably suggest getting the multipart models, as they are simply more flexible, plus some of the EZ models, especially the ones in the box of three, suffer from some pretty weird poses, especially when it comes to the arms. If I were to start my killteam again, I'd probably go with the squad of five multipart Primaris as a base.

Hope that helps! :)

So, only some odds and ends for today: Energised by Auggie's willingness to send over an extra Primaris made me think about the Lamenter a bit, and I've come up with this - very rough and early - mockup for the conversion I am planning:

lamenter-mockup.jpg

I am already looking forward to working on the conversion! :)

And then I decided to just have some mindless fun, especially after seeing Adam Wier's infiltration expert here, and quickly made this guy:

grimdark-mgs-wip-1.jpg

I am pretty confident someone will recognise him ;)

Awww yiss! That Lamenter is going to happen, and I will post that dude on the day I arrive back, which will be Sunday.

About that scout like dude, that should either be Sly Marbo or Kal Jerico in astartes form, no?

Nah Auggs, look at the pistol and the bandanna and hairdo.

That's someone trained in

.... That and the fact that the file spoilers that, as it says "grimdark-mgs-wip-1" :lol:

Edited by Gederas

@ golfdeltafoxtrot:

Hmm, my reply to your question is twofold:

On the one hand, I think they are pretty easy to modify: Simple head replacements, arm swaps or stuff like that can be done without any cutting at all, and even pretty involved stuff (like grafting that Kataphron breastplate to the Iron Hand) were pretty simple to achieve with a bit of deft cutting and some patience. So if it's one or two Primaris you are after, the Easy To Build models are an inexpensive way to make it happen.

If, on the other hand, you are already thinking about a full squad (even a small one), I'd probably suggest getting the multipart models, as they are simply more flexible, plus some of the EZ models, especially the ones in the box of three, suffer from some pretty weird poses, especially when it comes to the arms. If I were to start my killteam again, I'd probably go with the squad of five multipart Primaris as a base.

Hope that helps! :)

It does help, thanks. I’m pondering a small number of allied Astartes advisors, and if the easy-to-build Intercessors are as easy to use as you say then they should fit the bill, if only because it looks like the 5-man box has been discontinued.

It does help, thanks. I’m pondering a small number of allied Astartes advisors, and if the easy-to-build Intercessors are as easy to use as you say then they should fit the bill, if only because it looks like the 5-man box has been discontinued.

You sure about that? :lol:

They’re not on the UK webstore, all the third party sites I (very quickly) looked at are out of stock. I don’t know if a few copies are still floating around in real space but I haven’t seen one in my FLGS for some time.

Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaake!

Oh seeing that honestly made my day. That's a huge chunk of my childhood right there.

Alright, I'll hold off for now. But it turns out I actually do still have a few primaris etb bodies kicking around too. Just so you know.

But you always give me great advice and keep me inspired. That's honestly enough.

Cheers for the kind words, everyone! :)

About that scout like dude, that should either be Sly Marbo or Kal Jerico in astartes form, no?

...seriously, though, buddy: I am honestly a bit disappointed ;)

The other guys are right, of course: It's a slightly tongue in cheek 40k-ish rendition of Solid Snake, from the Metal Gear Solid series.

And while I have zero plans to build any more MGS-related homages, I quickly realised that coming up with 40k versions of classic MGS trope can be a seriously entertaining thought experiment: Bjorn Firewalker's idea of an Imperial Knight Metal Gear was brilliant! A Sicarian Ruststalker would make for an excellent AdMech-style Grey Fox. And it does, of course, make complete sense that Snake would be a Space Marine from a particularly cursed founding (referred to only as "Pueri Terribili") ;)

Anyway, the model is still far from finished, but I thought you guys might appreciate an update.

Here's a look at the finished head:

grimdark-mgs-pip-1.jpg

And here's what the model looks like right now:

grimdark-mgs-pip-4.jpg

grimdark-mgs-pip-3.jpg

Unfortunately, the lighting in the picture makes some of the differenced between the various greys disappear a bit, but it should still be easy to see how I have been trying to approximate Snake's MGS 1 getup:

solid_snake.png

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

@ Naryn: Man, I cannot get enough of those MGS shout out -- always makes me grin ;)

@ hushrong: Aha, that would have to be another Snake, though ;)

So, anyway,...

"Kept you waiting, huh?" -- teehee ;)

grimdark-solid-snake-conversion-1.jpg

grimdark-solid-snake-conversion-2.jpg

grimdark-solid-snake-conversion-3.jpg

grimdark-solid-snake-conversion-5.jpg

A closer look at Snake's face, glorious mullet and all:

grimdark-solid-snake-conversion-6.jpg

grimdark-solid-snake-conversion-7.jpg

And while this project was intended as a mere fun distraction, or a gaiden project, to remain true to the subject, I decided I might as well use it to teach myself a new technique, so I experimented with making my own model snow and applying it to the base:

solid-snake-snow-base-1.jpg

solid-snake-snow-base-2.jpg

This basically took about five minutes and ended up looking so convincing that I was pretty much blown away!

grimdark-solid-snake-conversion-4.jpg

And I also got a bit of a chuckle out of staging a typical Metal Gear scene:

metal-gear-grimdark.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Ha ha, wicked. you should make an exclamation mark with a find wire halo you can rest on his head when ever someone declares him a target of a charge or shooting attack.  Or maybe make a very small piece of scenery which is like an upturned box he can hop into for a cover save :biggrin.: