I think it reads much better as walking forward now, he doesn't feel off balance anymore. I totally get what you were going for with scanning for targets or whatever, I've done similar poses but I think it generally reads better on non moving legs.

Re: the Inquisitor, give her a floating servo skull buddy maybe?

Cheers, guys! :)

@ CaptainStabby: Thanks! And no servo-skull for the lady, unfortunately -- at least not one that's directly attached to her. It would mess with ther silhouette, which I really don't want, plus it also makes sense for INQ28 servo-skulls to be on their own base.

@ Auggs: Oh, yeah, definitely: I absolutely want to fill in those terrible squiggles on the banner -- I just couldn't bring myself to do it yet because it's going to look hideous, with the green on the gold ;) I think I'll be doing it shortly before I paint the model, to minimise the eyesore potential ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I also have another WIP to share with you: I'm not sure inhowfar you guys keep following the Age of Sigmar releases, but the one model that doesn't get nearly enough love, in my opinion, is that one female Easy To Build Stormcast Sequitor -- the one that now allows me to finally build my first Inquisitrix, something I have wanted to do for quite a while:

ordo-malleus-inquisitrix-wip-3.jpg

ordo-malleus-inquisitrix-wip-1.jpg

I really love this model, especially the pose and face, which is why I decided to keep the conversion fairly subtle: I merely replaced that weird He-Man-style weapon with something a little more 40k, added a holstered pistol at the hip and an Inquisitorial rosette and replaced the design on the shield with an Ordo Malleus-style heraldic device (quite a bit of work, that last one):

ordo-malleus-inquisitrix-wip-2.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Outstanding. A few judicious additions and amendments totally transform the model.

• 2 weeks later...

So with the ETL finished (and my own contribution successfully completed), I thought it was time for another INQ28 conversion, and I still had the other Stormcast Sequitors from that Easy To Build kit, so I used the next one to make a Crusader for my recent Ordo Malleus Inquisitrix:

ordo-malleus-crusader-wip-1.jpg

ordo-malleus-crusader-wip-2.jpg

ordo-malleus-crusader-wip-3.jpg

As you can see, it's a rather simple conversion from a structural standpoint, although it did require some detail work when it came to picking out the right bitz to take the model into the 41st millennium -- and to replace some of the more overtly AoS inconography.

Here he is, along with his mistress, Inquisitrix Elianu:

ordo-malleus-crusader-and-inquisitrix-wi

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Glad to hear you like the Crusader -- I am also rather fond of him right now, to be honest -- I think it has something to do with the fact that I only really purchased the box for the female Sequitor, and the other two models were basically chaff. To see one of them transformed into something useful and cool like that feels all the better for that ;)

I love that crusader (the coloured plastic still irks me but that's hardly your fault:D). It makes the inquisitrix look even cooler too somehow. Is the head from the mechanicus range?

I hear you about the plastic -- the golden plastic, in particular, really makes mold lines rather hard to see ;) On the other hand, it does have a nice way of higlighting the tweaks I've made to the model, so it's pretty good from an explanatory angle ;) The head is the extra head that comes with the Datasmith in the AdMech Kastelan kit.

Yep, really awesome!

Did you had any problems when building the models, to be precise with the shoulderpads?

While the models go together pretty well, the parts of the more recent GW Easy To Build models also slot into one another in increasingly sophisticated ways. Not a bad thing, in and of itself, but it means one has to think about where to cut and what to glue together a bit before getting started ;) As for the shoulder pads, I don't know whether that answers your question, but they tend to be made up of several parts that slot together (the right shoulder pad on the Crusader, for instance, consists of three parts that are attached to the diffferent "slices" of the model). This has the consequence of creating gaps between the parts that might need to be sanded or blended in with Liquid GS. Again, nothing too bad, but in a perfect world, I might like to leave parts of the models unglued to have an easier time during the painting process, yet the shoulder pad gaps makes that more complicated:

shoulder-pads.jpg

It'll be less of a problem with the Inquistrix on the right, as the seam between both parts is disguised by the lines of the lion motif of her shoulder pad, so I can probably get away with only gluing on the shield arm after the parts have been painted. For the Crusader, though, I guess there's no way around gluing the hands and weapon on before painting, lest I end up with a very noticeable gap on the left shoulder pad.

While I do really like the conversions, I think the shoulderpads are a bit too easily recognisable as Stormcast models. The overall aesthetic is nice though.

Hmm, if my goal had been to convert these into true scale Space Marines, I'd agree with you, but seeing how they are Inquisitorial operatives, I think the shoulder pads work rather nicely as is -- I did think long and hard about whether or not to replace them, but they are such a central part about the lines that define the model that I decided to leave them like that, as everything I would have come up with wouldn't have looked better in the end.

@ Bjorn Firewalker, Gang Zu, Auggs, Kizzdouges, PowerHungryMonkey & hushrong: Cheers! :)

So here's a small update for you: I discovered I still had one of those Custodes swords I cut steal a trigger from, so I was able to graft it to the haft of the spear, as per Naryn's suggestion. I also nabbed a small Raptor Imperialis icon, while I was at it, and it's now dangling from the head of the weapon:

ordo-malleus-crusader-wip-4.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

ordo-malleus-crusader-and-inquisitrix-wi

That answers my question quite well - and makes me feel better, as it seems I'm not the only one that had problems with the shoulderpads, thanks Kraut!

Just do what I had to do with my FW Bloodthirster - paint the hand and weapon first, glue them onto the primed model, fill gaps with greenstuff/miliput mix and start painting. It's time consuming but a compromise^^

Glad to be of help! :smile.:

See, the conventional wisdom would have been to have the weapon and the hands gripping it as a separate bit -- there, problem solved. But due to the very sophisticated ways GW 'cuts apart' their models digitally to produce the molds - and I'm not blaming them, as the models resulting from that process are pretty incredible - makes sure that parts are rarely that uncomplicated these days :wink: But hey, then again, we never got that much depth and diversity in textures on any of the really old snapfit models, so it's a fair deal, ultimately.

If anything, figuring out how to convert these models becomes a pretty cool puzzle of its own, which I rather appreciate!

Edited by KrautScientist

I recognize your feeling of the new (EZ) designs being a welcome challenge or puzzle. I had the same thing with the new death guard EZs and just with the entire new death guard range. The trick indeed seems to be to cut at the same place as the parts fit together. That being said, perhaps it's time for you to get a dremel tool. I'm not saying the shoulder pad on the new guy should have been replaced, as it looks great. But for future projects: there's nothing like a dremel to grind away something to replace it with a new part. :tu: Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Cheers, guys! :)

Very busy at the moment, and I had almost no hobby time today, but I did want to do something productive, so I got to work on the freehand shoulder pad designs for the next two members of my Deathwatch killteam and managed to mostly finish them:

deathwatch-shoulder-pads-wip.jpg

Please excuse the slightly fuzzy photo! And, as always, let me know what you think! :)