That being said, perhaps it's time for you to get a Dremel tool.

I cannot recommend this highly enough for someone that does as many kitbashes and conversions as you do. It's SO handy. 

Alright, guys. Duly noted.

So, let me make another attempt at sharing the freehand shoulder pads for my next two Deathwatch killteam members:

deathwatch-shoulder-pads-wip-2.jpg

*imagines trying to paint a full Lamenters army*

*head explodes*

Nice work on the shoulder pads mate, esp the Lamenters one. It’s very intricate - perfect for a killteam NOT an army :D :tu: :tu:

There are lamenter shoulder pads that can be 3d printed, both on shapeways and if you can find an stl or obj send it to staples.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers for the feedback, guys! :)

First up, Alizebeth Selandrine: Her base turned out to be fairly standard, with the exception of one added detail, a small portable Cogitator:

alizebeth-selandrine-base-wip.jpg

Slightly random Kraut : where is the cogitator from?

It's from the DFG Eisenkern Stormtroopers accessory kit. Hope this helps! :)

Phew, I've been extremely busy, and it certainly seems I've been away for ages! Anyway, allow me to at least share my latest kitbash with you: A while ago I already showed you a very early WIP for an Archmagos of the Adeptus Mechanicus. This guy:

archmagos-early-wip-1.jpg

But while it felt like I was definitely on to something, the guy also needed some serious tweaks. So I spent some time trying to work out all the kinks, and here's what he looks like now:

archmagos-wip-1.jpg

archmagos-wip-2.jpg

archmagos-wip-4.jpg

I tried to make him look a bit more grounded in his pose and composition. Plus I had wanted to use that alternate Magos Dominus head with the mitre for quite a while now -- and I think it works really well with the more upright pose, compared to the standard Dominus. The top of the staff/axe has also been replaced, mostly to add yet another way to distinguish the new model from my older, mostly uncoverted Magos Dominus:

archmagos-wip-3.jpg

I really like how the models share at least half of their parts, yet still look fairly different ;)

Now there's still a bit of work left to be done: I have to fine tune the secondary set of arms, and the groin area needs some kind of loincloth, armour plate or parchment, but I do think I'm on the right track.

As always, let me know what you think! :)

The conversion looks awesome! Really shows how a simple move - like turning the base of a model around - can give a miniature a wholly different feel. However, I would recommend looking for a different axe head - I think the one from the Deathwing kit looks too different from ordinary Mechanicum weapon designs.

Edited by AHorriblePerson

Cool, I don't think I've ever actually seen that head in use. I agree that the left shoulder pad looks a bit off at the moment, but then I have seen it used to good effect as an ][ symbol elsewhere. I think if you clip the sword blade bit from the top of the axe it would look  less Deathwing-y more Ad Mech-y.

Cheers for the feedback, guys! :)

It's funny, I always get that reaction when using a particular bit as a shoulder pad ;) I am pretty sure it'll work out in the end, though.

As for the Deathwatch axe/halberd, I feel a bit differently about that: It always seemed like an ill-fitting design for a Space Marine army to me, because the blade has this slightly weird look. At the same time, it does seem more at home with the weird arcane tech of the Adeptus Mechanicus to me, plus that censer bit at the center fits the priestly nature of the AdMech pretty well, if you ask me -- but this is totally a question of personal preference, though.

In the meantime, I think I have found a better setup for the secondary set of arms/manipulators:

archmagos-wip-5.jpg

archmagos-wip-6.jpg

And since it felt so good to be able to get in some hobby time again, I built yet another model, the - probably - last member for my true scale Deathwatch killteam, a Carcharodon:

deathwatch-caracharodon-wip-1.jpg

deathwatch-caracharodon-wip-2.jpg

deathwatch-caracharodon-wip-3.jpg

(the left shoulder pad is just a placeholder until I can source another one of the "new" Deathwatch shoulder pads)

deathwatch-caracharodon-wip-4.jpg

Where the rest of the killteam is Primaris-based (for that look between classic Mk. VII and the more hi-tech looking Deatwatch armour), I wanted this guy to be wearing a suit of bulky, archaic armour, as a shout out to the chapter's history of long isolation and drifting through the farthest reaches of know space, so I used parts from one of the plastic Tartaros Terminators, spliced together (rather cleverly, if I do say so myself) with Primaris parts. The original idea was to come up with an approximation of Mk. V armour, but I really ended up going for a more general pre-heresy look, to show how the armour might have been patched and redesigned over time.

I wanted to convey the feeling that this guy is used to wading into the frey of melee, swinging his weapons and making a huge mess as teeth and claws are shattering against his massive warplate. All in all, I am pretty happy with the kitbash so far, with one caveat: In spite of my best efforts, he's a tad shorter than the Primaris-based models, something that I'll hopefully be able to distract from with some deft basing ;)

Anyway, as always, let me know what you think! :)

deathwatch-caracharodon-wip-5.jpg

Glad to see you back, Krauty!!

And boy did you craft some clever minis.

First up, the Tech Priest Dominus. I really like the fact that you turned aroiund his main body, something I haven't seen before anywhere else. I do think his 'toes' protrude a bit awkwardly now, though. About his add, I agree that it's a good fit. However perhaps you could cut into the main blade to make the for shape? That would really sell it as a Mechanicum axe!

Lastly, that truescale Deathwatch Charcarodon. Wonderful work! Did you use Doghouses latest method? Might I suggest adding that piece of armoured tabbed that is the halmark of all MkIII bodies. The pose of this guy certainly fits the Space Shark's aggressive reputation!

Keep up the good work

!

Cheers, guys! :)

@ Vairocanum: Thanks a lot! :)

@ Auggs: Cheers for the feedback, buddy!

Regarding the Tech-Priest, I am actually pretty happy with the axe as is, so I doubt I'll be making any changes to the blade.

As for the Carcharodon, oh yes, Doghouse's builds were definitely on my mind -- cheers for pointing that out! One small thing, however: This is not proper Mk. III armour, but rather a refurbished and repaired suit combined from several armour marks: Looking at the arms, the legs (and also the breastplate, really) makes it clear that it's certainly not pure Mk. III, so I think I can get away without that one armour plate (especially since the crotch armour that is already in place does work pretty well).

It seems like all the kitbashes I have wanted to do for a while - and couldn't - now keep bubbling to the surface, so here's another kitbash: A feral worlder based on the AoS Darkoath Chieftain:

feral-worlder-wip-1.jpg

feral-worlder-wip-2.jpg

It occured to me that we don't get to see nearly enough feral worlders in Inquisitorial retinues, and the chieftain just seemed like the perfect base model. The model is so detailed and delicate that I had to pay attention to carefully bring it into the 40k setting without going overboard.

Seeing how tall this guy is, I think he would make a good follower for the - equally imposing - Inquisitrix Elianu, especially since she looks like she might have come from a warrior culture of some sort herself:

feral-worlder-inquisitrix-elianu-wip.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Nice updates! I like the Carcharodon and the reasoning behind his bulkier armor. I also like the work you did to the WHQ warrior! THe change to his weapon, the vent on his shoulder pad, and that bandolier. Going with Markus I think that fella gives off some sweet technobarbarian vibes.

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

@ Doghouse: Cheers, mate! Glad to hear you like him, seeing how he was very much inspired by some of your builds ;)

@ BCK: Haha, everybody seems to be hating that shark jaw codpiece, so I think I'll have to reconsider that element ;) It's a bit frustrating because it seems like the perfect part to add some chapter-specific decoration, yet the placement is very much the problem: My original plan was to use it on the Marine's collar, but it seems that would overclutter the head area quite a bit -- if anyone has a smart idea, I would love to hear it!

@ Markus_: Cheers! And you are completely right about a possible use as a bounty hunter! Thanks for pointing that out!

@ hushrong: Yeah, technobarbarian was very much the plan here -- glad it seems to have worked! We don't see nearly enough technobarbarians that are actually well done ;)

I've been looking at your Shark for a few minutes now and I thought maybe the jaw could go on one of the shoulder pads with the teeth at the top, but I don't know if that would look any better. The other idea I had was to go old school 40k when back banners were popular, and if you could get a second jaw, pair them up for a set of open jaws on a banner pole. 

Toothy halo over his head? Your conversion on that Space Shark is awesome.

Love what you are doing with these guys, KS! I agree with snipping that short blade off the DWK halberd on your Magos, keep it to use for a gladius somewhere else. The technobarbarian is just inspired.

Don't know what else to tell you except that you seem to come up with lots of ideas I want to steal. :lol:

I was looking at the charcharodon on my phone before, so I didn't quite notice the codpiece. I agree with everyone that indeed it looks a bit odd. That being said, I don't agree that it would overclutter the mini if you would put it under his colar - or over his head like a halo. On his pauldron is a very easy solution, but that would draw attention away from the jaw detail, which would be a shame. Don't worry about overcluttering the miniature - it is quite plain, so it can handle the jaw in a more prominent place. Also - you're seriously afraid to overclutter it after posting that excellent but/and highly detailed techno-barbarian??

That guy looks fantastic, by the way. I love that vent on his pad. such a smart detail! Grailkeeper is I believe talking about him, and I agree tat he would benefit from some kind of detail to make him look more imperial. A smal aquila somehere would achieve that. :tu: