@ Bjorn Firewalker: Cheers, mate! :)

@ ranulf: Yeah, I think T'au used to be based around the juxtaposition between the really clean Tau models and the somewhat more savage Kroot, but then it seems to me GW only followed through rather halfheartedly with the plan of adding new allied species for the T'au empire, and nowadays the Kroot seem like a leftover from a different time -- still a pretty interesting leftover, though, and I think they make really cool additions to INQ28 projects ;)

So anyway, here's the finished IG veteran:

factory-world-ig-veteran-1.jpg

factory-world-ig-veteran-3.jpg

factory-world-ig-veteran-4.jpg

factory-world-ig-veteran-5.jpg

factory-world-ig-veteran-6.jpg

factory-world-ig-veteran-7.jpg

factory-world-ig-veteran-8.jpg

factory-world-ig-veteran-9.jpg

I have added some more higlights to make his armour plates and leather apron look scuffier. I see him as wearing a mish-mash of his former regimental colours, his working gear from the manufactoria of his homeworld and a couple of Inquisitiorial emblems here and there.  Oh, and adding those little symbols and markings to the grenades on his backpack was such a frivolous yet enjoyable little detail... ;)

In my background ideas for the warband, he also has a bit of a war buddies thing going on with T'L'Kess the Kroot (whom he calls "Birdman"), in spite of everything:

ig-veteran-tlkess.jpg

And here's the painted part of the warband again:

inquisitor-alvar-retinue-2019-wip-4.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

factory-world-ig-veteran-2.jpg

Love the new IG veteran, really liking the blue and red combo on the armor! Not sure if it's just cause of the picture but the colors on back of the tabard looks a bit flat unlike the front with all its little scratches in the leather. Looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers, Vairocanum! Hmm, you do have a point regarding the back of the leather apron -- I'll be taking another look at that area! Thanks for pointing it out!

In the meantime, seeing how I seem to be on a bit of a roll here, I decided to dig out another long-neglected model of mine that I think deserves some sort of closure.

lord-sebastianus-danver-balzepho-vlachen

This is Lord Sebastianus Danver Balzepho Vlachen, one of the Velsen Sector’s big movers and shakers — and also a bit of a hero of the people. At the same time, he also has a darker side to him, and is ruthlessly ambitious. As grand-nephew and heir apparent to the ailing sector governor, he seeks to succeed his great-uncle as sector lord, and he is every bit as ruthless and ambitious as you would expect of somebody so far up in the Imperial nobility. At the same time, his connections to the Velsian Astra Militarum and supposed battlefield heroics have endeared him to both the military’s top brass and the common people. But again, there’s often a less respectable side to his character: For instance, he wears his scars with pride, having both a bit of a dueling history and a reputation as a grizzled veteran, but the truth is that the nastiest scar on his face actually came about due to a confrontation with one Cpt. Esteban Revas of the 126th Haaruthian Dragoons (read the full story here).

Anyway, Lord Sebastianus was one of those conversions I was really, really happy with. But he still ended up in a box, partially painted, and has stayed thus for years. Enough, I say! So while the photos above are still a work in progress, I'd say I am definitely headed in the right direction.

You should change the google head on the researcher adjutant, that way everyone would have a different face Edited by noigrim

@ noigrim: Those are actually two different heads from the Celestial Hurricanum kit, although they both do have the goggles. The Inquisitor has the more determined facial expression, while the research assistant looks somewhat meek. I hope the difference will come across even better once both models have been painted.

So here's just a tiny update for you all: I made a suitable shoulder emblem for Lord Sebastianus by combining some decals again:

The winged "V" could, of course, stand for both House Vlachen and for the Velsen Sector ;)

That Not Creed dude Lord Sebastianus is looking particularly grand. I remember seing him all those years ago and thinking the same thing, but man does he look good in colours. Nice work on the scars and the emblem too, btw. Those are all details that make this guy come to life. Reading the fluff too, has been very inspiring indeed. I am starting to think that INQ28 might be the way to go for me too, in the future. Your work is a template I intend and am looking forward to work from!

The IG veteran with the heavy stubber is wicked as well. Love the colour scheme on him. Is that an old '90s Goliath head I spot?

I'd love to see  Millerna Acheron with paint as well and a hoping she's next. On that note, I'm looking forward to Shiv Korlund! As you can imagine, I have had a soft spot for Escher miniatures for decades now.... 

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers for the feedback, guys! :)

@ DuskRaider: Thanks, mate! Yeah, I wanted him to look ostentatious -- he is, after all, the sector governor's grand-nephew and heir apparent!

@ ElDuderino: Haha, look closer, mate: Every single button on his overcoat is a little skull ;)

@ Auggs: Oh yes, please do some INQ28, buddy! With your recent Necromunda stuff, you are already halfway there anyway! ;) The head on the veteran actually came from the Space Wolves Space Marine Scouts (I think...), although "retired Goliath" was basically this guy's first design brief, so you're not wrong ;)

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Cheers, man! For the base, I am thinking some kind of marble floor, to show how he rarely has to step into the underhive, but rather conducts his work at court and in council chambers. We'll see...

So, it's been a while, but I have been exploring the idea of building characters that showcase what Dan Abnett calls "Domestic 40k" a bit more: the political figures and shrewd actors behind the scenes. On that same count, I have finally managed to start a conversion I have wanted to do for ages, for one Azaleas Vile, high-ranking operative for the Mandelholtz banking house. He's dealing with all kinds of business for House Mandelholtz, and actually quite a smooth operator -- right until he's not). I wanted him to look like someone who is quite at home in the boardrooms AND the ballrooms of Velsen, but who can hold his own in the underhive as well. Take a look:

azaleas-vile-early-wip-4.jpg

azaleas-vile-early-wip-5.jpg

azaleas-vile-early-wip-6.jpg

azaleas-vile-early-wip-7.jpg

I chose some "civilian pants", and the briefcase was a spur-of-the-moment idea that I am so proud of in hindsight -- he is a banker, after all ;)

Here's an early mockup of what an eventual House Mandelholtz warband, including Azaleas Vile and the Countess Mandelholtz herself, might look like:

house-mandelholtz-early-mockup.jpg

Speaking of which, among a couple of WFB Empire Greatsword bitz I purchased recently was a ridiculously huge feather that seemed like the perfect bit to glitz up the countess herself a bit:

countess-mandelholtz-4.jpg

countess-mandelholtz-3.jpg

When I originally built Countess Mandelholtz, I consciously gave her a lumpy, hideos crypt ghoul back to hint at the fact that rejuvenat treatments have taken her as far as possible, but it still seemed a bit too on the nose. The addition of the massive feather covers up at least some of the mess (while also leaving just enough visible to keep the overall effect suitably disturbing). It also makes her outfit even more outlandish, which I love -- I believe 40k court outfits should be completely over the top!

countess-mandelholtz-1.jpg

azaleas-vile-and-countess-mandelholtz-wi

I don't know why, but Vile somehow reminds me of a low key mad Klaus Kinski.

He looks like Norman Reedus (Daryl Dixon in The Walking Dead) to me.

I see you're a fan of classic movies. A pity so many have been forgotten, even by me. (I'm 40.)

True! His hair is a pretty good match. :biggrin.:

I don't wanna derail Kraut's thread too much (sorry man), but yeah, classic movies rule.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for the kind words, everyone! House Mandelholtz feels like a rather fascinating little project to me, and it makes me happy that you guys seemingly agree with the sentiment! :)

The left shoulder on azaleas looks a bit like a 80's suit jacket, which in my mind fits the whole bank thing perfectly:)

And it's nice to see the countess again, I had forgot about her. I realize now that she reminds me of a 40k version of Mom from Futurama:D

Haha, I am sooo glad something noticed the sharp shoulder on the jacket! That was a very conscious decision to make it look more like a tailored suit and less like some kind of combat jacket.

I don't know why, but Vile somehow reminds me of a low key mad Klaus Kinski. On second thought, the countess looks like Kinski in his later years. :laugh.:

That is to say, they are excellent and unique conversions!

Oh well, seeing how Kinski (circa "Aguirre, the Wrath of God") is probably the most 40k-grimdark-person imaginable, I'll be taking this as a compliment ;)

I would say he looks more like Sean Bean. She looks a bit like Maggie Smyth as I said earlier.

"Grimdark Maggie Smith" was my exact design brief when first creating a model for the countess (it was the approach my buddy DexterKong suggested, using those exact words), so you're right on the mark, mate! :)

So, anyway, I have something new to share with you guys today, as I have managed to do some more painting on Inquisitor Alvar's Ordo Xenos retinue. This is actually one of my older INQ28 projects at this point, so it definitely feels great to finally get some paint on those poor neglected models. Plus it's my first Ordo Xenos warband as well (the Deathwatch killteam notwithstanding), which makes this a rather interesting project for me.

Anyway, here's another new arrival, Mamzel Millerna Acheron, Alvar's interrogator and right-hand woman:

millerna-acheron-1.jpg

millerna-acheron-2.jpg

millerna-acheron-3.jpg

This is one of the paintjobs I kept putting off for years for fear of messing up. I really like the sculpt ("Sasha Dubois" by Reaper Miniatures) and didn't change anything about the stock model, as it already seemed like a perfect fit, even mirroring many of Alvar's design cues (such as the coat, the goggles worn on the forehead,...).

I took the liberty of not painting her with a bare-midriff, however, as that seemed a bit too gratuitous and risqué for a professional Inquisitorial operative. Instead, I tried to achive the look of combat fatigues or an armoured bodyglove, which I think is a far better match for a character like this. I am really very happy with the finished model, if I do say so myself!

And here's a look at the next member of the retinue, who is still not quite finished: Professor Abelard Marbray, renowned Xeno-archeologist of the Bastold Imperial Akademy:

xeno-archeologist-pip-1.jpg

xeno-archeologist-pip-2.jpg

Still quite a bit of work left to be done on this model (especially on the arms), but I am getting there.

xeno-archeologist-pip-3.jpg

And here's a look at the entire warband so far:

inquisitor-alvar-retinue-2019-wip-6.jpg

Lovely, lovely work all around. 

The countess is suitably disturbing - I really, really like that miniature - it's the perfect combination of bits, in my humble opinion!

Sasha is a lovely miniature too and you did a great job painting her - although I feel like you should have filled up her navel if you're not painting her midrif in a skintone; an armoured bodyglove would fit tightly, but not so tight that you would be able to see her navel. I've only ever seen a navel hole showing on clothing on really obese people wearing thin t-shirts and well.... she's not obese.

Grandpa Marbray looks suitably adventurous! Love the mini! 

This thread is my main inspiration for INQ28 style miniature right now. Any advice on where to get more INQ28 goodness?