Cheers for the feedback, guys! :)

@ Gederas: Go for it! INQ28 can be such a breath of fresh air/palate cleanser whenever one of your other projects isn't really coming together.

@ Auggs: Cheers, buddy! I actually thought about filling in her navel, but I was just about 100% sure that it would end up looking messy and tampered-with, and I would have hated that, so I left the sculpt 100% untouched, and I am rather happy with that decision ;)

Regarding possible INQ28 inspiration, just a few pointers:

Instagram and Facebook seem to be all the rage with the luminaries of the hobby these days, but I really don't like that trend, so I cannot direct you towards many sources -- I'll make an exception for PDH's profile, though, because he's a great guy and one of the best INQ28 converters, and also because he doesn't have a proper blog ;) You should also definitely take a look at the Ammobunker: It's quieter than it used to be, but it's still a great repository for inspirational material. Jeff Vader's The Convertorum is definitely worth a look, as is Death of a Rubricist (one of the best hobby blogs, period. Plus Apologist is also fairly active over here). Oh, and Larsonic Miniatures is an example of a fantastic new blog. This is by no means an exhaustive collection, but it's a good enough way to get started, I think.

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Cheers, mate! :)

@ noigrim: Oh, there's definitely room for a bit of bare skin and some rather risqué models here and there -- it just seemed needlessly exploitative on an Inquisitorial interrogator. I think the model is nice enough to work without the bare midriff, is all ;)

@ Kolgrim DeathHowl: Cheers, man! And yeah, that's probably the best thing about INQ28: that it's basically an excuse to explore any part of the 40k lore you like in ridiculous depth ;)

So here's another small update: I have managed to finish the xeno-archeologist, so meet Professor Abelard Marbray of the Bastold Imperial Akademy, everyone:

professor-abelard-marbray-1.jpg

professor-abelard-marbray-2.jpg

professor-abelard-marbray-3.jpg

That bulky, voxcaster-based thing on his back is supposed to be some kind of portable cogitator, by the way, allowing him to file and cross-reference his findings even while working in the field. I imagine it even makes an old-fashioned “ding” sound when finishing with a calculation ;)

professor-abelard-marbray-4.jpg

professor-abelard-marbray-5.jpg

professor-abelard-marbray-6.jpg

I built the professor to be contemplating a rusty, dirty Necron skull, as you can see, unsure whether this is an artifact of a Xenos culture or actual part of an alien. There’s even a patch of bright silver where his fingers have wiped away some of the dust and grime of the ages (although you probably have to take a close look to see it):

professor-abelard-marbray-7.jpg

professor-abelard-marbray-8.jpg

And while I was at it, I also took some proper pictures of the rest of the warband, so let's go through the other members again, if you guys don't mind:

First up, the Inquisitor himself: Titus Alvar of the Ordo Xenos Velsen — Inquisitor, socialite, adventurer:

inquisitor-titus-alvar-1.jpg

There’s an as-of-yet unnamed sanctioned psyker who is also a member of Alvar’s warband. My vague backstory for him is that Alvar picked him up while he was under Inquisitorial audit for some psionic “friendly fire” caused by the presence of a Xenos artifact.

astra-militarum-sanctioned-psyker-1.jpg

astra-militarum-sanctioned-psyker-3.jpg

astra-militarum-sanctioned-psyker-4.jpg

Next up,  Zekariah “Foreman” Lunn, Inquisitorial operative and veteran of the Eisenberg Factory Guard:

zekariah-foreman-lunn-10.jpg

zekariah-foreman-lunn-11.jpg

zekariah-foreman-lunn-12.jpg

There's T’L’Kess, Kroot tracker and scout, and possibly the last survivor of his kindred:

tlkess-15.jpg

tlkess-14.jpg

And, of course, Millerna Acheron, scion of a voidfaring house and Inquisitor Alvar's Interrogator:

interrogator-millerna-acheron-1.jpg

interrogator-millerna-acheron-2.jpg

interrogator-millerna-acheron-3.jpg

And here's the entire warband so far:

inquisitor-alvar-and-retinue-2019-1.jpg

As for future additions, there are actually four more possible members for the warband. Take a look:

ordo-xenos-missing-warband-members-wip.j

From left to right, there’s a Magos Xenobiologis of the Adeptus Mechanicus, now on permanent secondment to the Ordos, Professor Marbray’s research assistant, a Squat/Demiurg (or whatever you want to call them — I thought it would be a fun model to throw in) and Shiv Korlund, a female hive ganger, represented by one of Jes Goodwin’s vintage Escher models.

Looking at the retinue now that it’s starting to come together for good, I realise that the warband definitely owes a debt of inspiration to the Inquisitorial retinue fellow hobbyist Lamby is currently working on (and, to be exact, has been for a while). This wasn’t really a conscious decision on my part, but I cannot help feeling some of my models echo the design cues you can see in Lamby’s work, and there are subtle similarities here and there that must be due to my following his warband taking place over a similar number of years. So cheers, mate! And great to see you working on your stuff again!

Anyway, as always, let me know what you think! :)

inquisitor-alvar-and-retinue-2019-3.jpg

Cheers, guys! :)

As it happens, I am already hard at work on the next two members for Inquisitor Alvar's retinue:

magos-xenobiologis-and-research-assistan

First up, there's Profesor Marbray's research assitant who still has *quite* a ways to go before he's finished:

research-assistant-pip-3.jpg

The idea here is that both he and the Professor are from the Bastold Imperial Akademy, so I want them to be wearing similar attire (and have matching palettes). The two models should hopefully complement each other rather nicely, once they are both finished:

research-assistant-pip-4.jpg

And then there's the Magos Xenobiologis who is quite a bit further a long, yet still missing a few finishing touches. In any case, I am enormously fond of this guy!

magos-xenobiologis-pip.jpg

He's a subtly converted Forgeworld Servitor model. I gave him a creepy metallic claw and a suitably menacing looking servo-skull, complete with syringe, but I really like the stock model, so I kept most of it untouched.

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Thanks, man! :)

So I have managed to finish the next two models for the retinue. A small caveat, though: It has been grey and rainy here for the last week or so, so the photos aren't exactly brilliant...

Anyway, here goes:

First up, the Magos Xenobiologis (who, it must be said, was already mostly finished last time):

magos-xenobiologis-1.jpg

I am including an extra angle shot, though, so you guys can appreciate the nasty looking syringe on his servo-skull ;)

magos-xenobiologis-2.jpg

magos-xenobiologis-3.jpg

And there's Professor Marbray's research assistant:

research-assistant-2.jpg

The objective here was to have him match the Professor himself, so I used a similar palette. I also wanted to subtly hint at a bit of a military past, maybe, hence the subtle IG elements.

research-assistant-3.jpg

research-assistant-4.jpg

He's looking at some kind of map, so I decided to carefully draw on some kind of floor plan (possibly of an ancient ruin or something):

research-assistant-5.jpg

And here he is next to his boss:

research-assistant-6.jpg

Cheers, Bjorn! :)

Time for a small update. No new models for today, just some better pictures:

Here's Researcher Tancred, Professor Marbray's assistant:

researcher-tancred-1.jpg

researcher-tancred-2.jpg

researcher-tancred-3.jpg

researcher-tancred-4.jpg

researcher-tancred-6.jpg

And here's another group shot with his boss:

researcher-tancred-professor-marbray.jpg

Also back from the photo studio: Magos Xenobiologis Harland Leitz:

magos-xenobiologis-harland-leitz-2.jpg

magos-xenobiologis-harland-leitz-3.jpg

magos-xenobiologis-harland-leitz-4.jpg

magos-xenobiologis-harland-leitz-5.jpg

And here's a look at the entire retinue so far:

inquisitor-alvar-and-retinue-2019-4.jpg

brother-vorlik-ulrach-of-the-iron-hands-

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Really cool work here! The kill-team and all the conversion that came before. Could you tell me where this backpack comes from, please? :huh.:

Edited by Kyknos of Athena

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So here's another small update for you all: I have finished the conversion for Skuldi Kulvar, the penultimate member of Inquisitor Alvar's retinue. I have wanted some kind of squat character ever since I first laid eyes on the Kharadron Overlords for AoS -- even as stock models, they are basically the perfect 40k squats, if you ask me, with more of a steam/clock-punk-ish angle and less fantasy dwarf goofiness.

Anyway, here's the finished model:

skuldi-kulva-wip-1.jpg

skuldi-kulva-wip-2.jpg

skuldi-kulva-wip-3.jpg

Granted, for the most part, it's still a stock Arkanaut model. But I have added some visual clutter and some techy bitz to bring the model more firmly into the 40k universe. I am seeing Skuldi as some kind of explorator/collector who has fallen in with Alvar. I have some ideas in the back of my head for a squat enclave somewhere within the Velsen sector, a rather reclusive group that is focused a lot around heavy industry and organised as some kind of industrial combine. There's also some technology transfer between them and the local Adeptus Mechanicus, although it's mostly strictly below the counter (I've tried to subtly hint at this fact by using an AdMech barrel on the pistol, though).

This guy actually doubles as a test model for a squat warband project that may or may not happen at some point in the future -- don't hold your breath, though ;)

Anyway, as always, let me know what you think! :)

• 3 weeks later...