Glad to see these guys over here, Worker #9 is looking stunning. Looking forward to what you come up with re his base. He looks like he’s been standing sentinal in a grim dark junkyard for centuries. :tu:

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

@ Auggs: Haha, cheers, buddy. It was actually the opposite for me: I had to procure some easy to build Primaris to mess around with. Glad you like the Watch-Brother! Please don't say "schmexy", though -- that is one terrible word ;)

As for his use in my INQ28 collection, I'll gladly admit that this is a case where I simply wanted to build and paint a character for the pure joy of it, then ask questions later. I am fairly certain he'll end up as a member of a small Killteam, however (a second member from the Iron Hands has already been built), and seeing how there's a Xenos-cult knocking around in the back of my head ("The Children of Imago"), it stands to reason that Arcturus and his buddies may have to defend Velsen against the abomination of the alien at some point ;)

@ Biohazard: Cheers, buddy! Grimdark junkyard is pretty much exactly what I am planning for Worker #9 -- excellent call! ;)

In the meantime, Brother Diomedes' base is currently drying, so expect some pictures of the finished model tomorrow.

So here's the promised update: Brother Diomedes was basically finished anyway, but he still needed a base, of course. I decided to go with something pretty simple that would fit the lion’s share of my INQ28 collection (i.e. brownish and slightly underhive-y). I also wanted to include some Xenos related touches. Now for an Ultramarine, what would be more appropriate than some Tyranid remains, right? Good thing the new Citadel Skulls kit features lots and lots of beautiful gaunt skulls, among others — I may not be all that interested in Tyranids as a faction (the creepy awesomeness of Genestealer Cults notwithstanding), but I do love those gaunt skulls! The tip of a Termagaunt weapon was also added to the base to represent something glistening and Gigeresque.

So, without further ado, here’s the finished Watch-Brother:

=][=

Arcturus Diomedes

Brother of the Deathwatch
originally of the Ultramarines

brother-arcturus-diomedes-of-the-deathwa

Though he may be smaller than my previous true scale Marine, Brother Diomedes certainly reads as a true scale Astartes when placed next to a model of “regular” human size:

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

Cheers, gents! :)

@ hushrong: Aw, you greedy git ;) Be happy with the models I've already posted, or do you want to kill me here? Seriously, though: I think finishing Worker #9 should be next, although I am currently experimenting with the first member of yet another warband. In any case, don't worry: I have enough unpainted INQ28 stuff to last us all year ;)

@ Marshal Rohr: Thanks a lot! That is very kind of you to say! :)

Thanks a lot, guys! Really happy to hear you like him! :)

@ Gederas: I definitely get what you're saying about the name: I was never much into the DoW games (mostly because my gaming habit has been focused on consoles for years now), so I actually had the name for my Deathwatch Marine before learning it was actually the name of a DoW character after the fact. And by then, I had already started to think of my guy as Brother Diomedes, so yeah ;)

So my original plan was to take a bit of a break after all the frantic activity, but before I knew what I was doing, I was already back at the painting table. The model I chose to work on is an Inquisitor for yet another retinue. The model was inspired by a piece of artwork by the late, great Wayne England:

wayne-england-artwork-1.png

And here are some WIP pictures of the model based on the illustration, Redactor Tiberias Orlant of the Ordo Scriptorum:

redactor-orlant-pip-1.jpg

redactor-orlant-pip-2.jpg

I have actually made quite a bit of progress on him since taking those pictures this morning (well, yesterday morning, technically speaking...), but at least this should give you a first impression.

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Fair point, it's just I see the name, and hear the "You have Captain Diomedes" quote immediately. I mean, he's an Ultramarine, so instead of stealing every Chapter's (and Custodes) relics he's just stealing their glory :lol:

I really like the Redactor Inquisitor. Looks suitably bookish, and the paintjob ties all of his differing parts together amazingly.

Thanks a lot, guys! :smile.:

@ Gederas: Seeing how the DoW games seem to have been such a success, I guess I'll have to live with basically everyone thinking the name was a shout out to the game :wink:

So here's another look at Redactor Orlant, quite a bit further along:

redactor-orlant-pip-3.jpg

redactor-orlant-pip-4.jpg

redactor-orlant-pip-5.jpg

I decided to go with glossy black armour again, since I felt it would support his already slightly sinister look. The script on the parchment hanging from his belt actually spells "Redactor Orlant", although you may have to take my word for it. I even tried to make it resemble Wayne England's lettering style a bit, but there was very little space, and it was all so small. I actually re-did this part several times, and I think this is as good as it's going to get :wink:

The one thing I am not perfectly happy with are the books: I didn't go with red for their covers because I wanted to keep the palette very limited and rather cold, but I cannot help feeling that they aren't quite there yet...

Anyway, as always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

redactor-orlant-pip-6.jpg

Edited by KrautScientist

Redactor Orlant loos really cool! I really like the dark blue robes, the colour really pops. I think your right about the books, they look good as is, they're colour scheme is just a bit too close to the robes. A glaze might sort that right out and save you repainting them. Or, if your happy with the, just leave them as is.

Redactor Orlant is a really nice models, but Inquisitor Arslan is definitely my favourite!

Cheers for the feedback, guys! :smile.:

Under normal circumstances, purple would be an ideal choice. Only I've set myself this pesky little limitation that I mostly want to keep the palette focused on the colours and hues appearing in the series of Wayne England illustrations that have inspired the project so far:

scriptorum-inspiration-01.jpg

Now I am pretty sure that I won't be able to match this requirement 100% of the time, but even then, purple seemed a bit too strong a colour to introduce into the mix. So in the end, I went with a more neutral tone and repainted the books grey -- not an exciting choice, certainly, but it keeps the palette suitably narrow. Take a look:

redactor-orlant-pip-7.jpg

redactor-orlant-pip-8.jpg

redactor-orlant-pip-9.jpg

redactor-orlant-pip-10.jpg

I am not sure whether or not to repaint the cane in the same colour -- it would make for a tigther look, probably, but I also think the wood cane makes him look a bit more sophisticated, which I like :wink:

I've also made an eleventh-hour addition when I realised that there was an odd little gap at his belt that ended up looking slightly distracting, so I carefully added some additional keys to his belt.

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

You did a great job on the flesh, but painting it white or gray rather than skin tone would have kept him more in line with the Wayne England palette (and given him a bit more 40k weirdness). It might be worth experimenting on some of his retinue.