That Grim Dark Maggie Smyth is perfect. What did you use for the head?

I dont have a particular hat in mind but I think it would work for a couple of reasons. First of all I have never seen a marine wearing a hat and that would do a lot to distinguish him. Secondly I think he sill looks like a marine because the body, head and shoulder pads give him a similar shape/silhouette to a marine and a hat would break that up outline.  I think a witch hunter hat might tie in with the mono dominant style philosophy (even if it is a bit of an inquisitor cliche and might be hard to sculpt). Any hat would probably do for my concerns, although he doesnt look like a baseball cap kind of dude.

Here is another Wayne England image of an inquisitor in a witch hunter hat. It is his later style

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4p3LCew6eUI/Tjv3xdw9Q_I/AAAAAAAACLM/lU-BskJDjsI/s400/emperors-will-closeup-1.jpg

Edited by grailkeeper

@ grailkeeper: Hmm, I actually think that kind of head is just linked too closely with the Ordo Hereticus, when these Inquisitors for Bubbles were actually planned as Ordo Xenos, first and foremost: If you think about it, the monodominant view actually makes more sense when held by an Inquisitor who actually has to deal with members of different species ;)

That being said, maybe some kind of Iron Halo/corona around the Inquisitor's head might work. Unfortunately, I don't have the right kind of bit in my bitzbox, so I may have to leave that part to Bubbles' discretion.

As for Baroness Mandelholtz, thanks a lot for the feedback, guys! I am really rather excited about the conversion so far, because I've been planning it for so long, and yet I couldn't be sure whether or not my plan would work out.

@ grailkeeper: That's actually the face of a WFB Necromancer, carefully spliced together with the hairdo from a Coven Throne Vampiress ;)

Here are some better pictures of her, plus I also tweaked her shoulders a bit in an attempt at making them slightly narrower -- she was looking too much like an ugly guy in drag before ;)

baroness-mandelholtz-wip-9.jpg

baroness-mandelholtz-wip-10.jpg

baroness-mandelholtz-wip-11.jpg

baroness-mandelholtz-wip-12.jpg

baroness-mandelholtz-wip-14.jpg

baroness-mandelholtz-wip-15.jpg

I don't even want to add too much to the model anymore, so as not to overclutter her. I think there'll be some subtle cabling here and there, in other to hint at her augmetics. I also want to add one or two syringes/plungers from the Dark Eldar Wracks to her hunched back, although I cannot seem to find the small bag with the bitz in the depths of my bitz repository ;)

baroness-mandelholtz-wip-13.jpg

Apart from that, it seems like she would really have personal retainers for all kinds of menial tasks, such as carrying ledgers and petitions -- this seems like such a cool angle for adding some further members of House Mandelholtz ;)

baroness-mandelholtz-wip-16.jpg

I also have yet another update to share with you, however, as I mostly finished the paintjob for Interrogator Klien Inson yesterday:

interrogator-inson-pip-6.jpg

interrogator-inson-pip-5.jpg

interrogator-inson-pip-7.jpg

While the aim was not to perfectly match PDH's paintjob for the older version of Inson, I did take care to take some cues from his model (such as the general dark look, the metallic scales on the cape,...) and go for a similar overall look and feel. Here's a side by side with both PDH's and my treatment of the character:

klien-inson-comparison.jpg

At the same time, it was also clear that the younger Inson had to match the colour palette of his master, Inquisitor Orlant, to some degree, so I tried to stay within the parameters I had set for myself and use a similar palette:

interrogator-inson-and-inquisitor-orlant

ordo-scriptorum-warband-pip.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

This is such a cool project! I wish I had the time to do something like that. When I finish my Death Guard, I'll start an INQ28 and Necromunda gang and let all the accumulated inspiration from this blog flow into miniatures. Aw yisss...

Ahem.. Until that time: drool! Love the latest additions, especially GrimDark Grannie Smyth. That glued base, though.... glad you bought that hobby saw, eh? ;) :tu:

Cheers, guys! :)

@ Auggs: Well, if nothing else, I am sure your sweatshop has a worker's council, even if it only has one member ;)

What's that about lacking time for warbands like this, though? If you can knock out 4,000 points of 40k every six months or so, you have the time for an INQ28 or Necromunda warband. 'Nuff said ;)

Also, I am sorry to disappoint you, buddy, but the hobby saw was actually too big and unwieldy for separating the model from the base without doing permanent damage to the dress -- I used a hobby knife for that. The saw did see some use when I had to make a straight cut through the torso, right above the corsage, though ;)

@ Gederas: Man, don't worry -- there will be some Road Crew before long. Finished the base for the big guy this weekend, as it happens ;)

Here is another Wayne England image of an inquisitor in a witch hunter hat. It is his later style

That's by Andrea Uderzo, not Wayne England (RIP).

Great stuff, Kraut, and glad to see you using so much of the old art as inspiration!

@ Auggs:

Hidden Content
Well, if nothing else, I am sure your sweatshop has a worker's council, even if it only has one member :wink:

What's that about lacking time for warbands like this, though? If you can knock out 4,000 points of 40k every six months or so, you have the time for an INQ28 or Necromunda warband. 'Nuff said :wink:

Also, I am sorry to disappoint you, buddy, but the hobby saw was actually too big and unwieldy for separating the model from the base without doing permanent damage to the dress -- I used a hobby knife for that. The saw did see some use when I had to make a straight cut through the torso, right above the corsage, though :wink:

Wrong thread for the hidden reply, but I agree on the rest... sadly I don;t have as much hobby time as I used to have, with what a more demanding job and a SO... I'm afraid my days of hyper productivity will be few and far between. In any case, whatever tool you used, you did a fine job of getting that miniature off that horribly glue-mangled base! :tu:

Cheers, guys! :)

So here' a small update: Interrogator Klien Inson, now with his finished base:

interrogator-klien-inson-1.jpg

interrogator-klien-inson-2.jpg

interrogator-klien-inson-3.jpg

interrogator-klien-inson-4.jpg

When it came to designing his base, I tried to channel the same "abandoned" library look I had already gone with for Inquisitor Orlant. I also experimented with some kitchen tissue paper, trying to create torn pages and parchments, something I would like to take even further on some of the future models for this retinue:

interrogator-klien-inson-5.jpg

For now, here are Redactor Orlant and his interrogator again, and the beginnings of my Ordo Scriptorum warband so far. Enjoy! :)

interrogator-inson-inquisitor-orlant.jpg

inquisitor-orlant-and-operatives-1.jpg

And, as always, let me know what you think! :)

Lovely work on Interrogator Inson, the warband is really starting to come together. (Especially like the smaller book on the Interrogators base and the larger one on the Inquisitors, was that intentional ;) ?). What do you have planned next for the warband? 

Cheers for the feedback, guys! :)

@ hushrong: Thanks a lot! John and the mise-en-scène he uses for his models was definitely an inspiration -- plus the playing cards I use in the photo shoots actually use his art as well, so yeah ;)

@ Shovellovin: Weirdly enough, my INQ28 collection has yet to see its first proper use on the gaming table -- but even then, I'd only use them to play INQ28/Inquisimunda or any version thereof, not standard 40k.

@ BubblesMcBub: Cheers, mate! :)

@ Kordhal: Thanks a lot! The weird thing is that neither the interrogator nor the bureaucultist were actually planned for the retinue. They...just happened. That being said, there are some additional warband members that have already been converted:

inquisitor-orlanth-and-retinue-wip.jpg

From left to right,

• Alizebeth Selandrine, a voidborn former Mechanicus vassal who can perform noospheric dives (read: a grimdark hacker),
  • a member of the Guild of Parchment Scroteners, a cult given over to the ritualistic destruction of Imperial paperwork
  • a Clockwork Assassin, a deadly automaton gifted to Orlant by the Velsian Adeptus Mechanicus
  • a female duelist with a pretty massive Venetian Carnival vibe
  • barely visible in the back row, an autoquill servitor

I think either Selandrine or the Clockwork Assassin might be next on the painting table.

@ Brother Lunkhead: Cheers! That is such a nice compliment! :)

What can I say - I'm in love with these models. I think your recent work - in fact everything in this thread - really resonates with my brain right now. The way yuo create these tiny, single miniatures seemingly on the fly, letting your inspiration run riot, really appeals to me. It's such a different approach to the hobby than army building. Lovely!