Cheers, guys! :)

@ Auggs: Cheers, buddy! That's very nice of you to say, and I am glad this inspires you, mostly because you tend to produce incredible stuff yourself when you're inspired. I'd really love to see you focus your amazing skills on an INQ28 warband or a Necromunda gang in the future! You are quite right, though: It is very different from army building, as the process tends to focus on each and every character, and sometimes unforeseen things happen -- like those last two Ordo Scriptorum guys. Still, in between all the standard 40k projects, there's nothing like a bit of INQ28 as a palate cleanser ;)

@ hushrong & Stercus: Thanks, gents! :)

So, time for a small update:

This weekend, I visited an old friend in Berlin, and I also made some time to drop by Battlefield Berlin, one of Germany's biggest (if not the biggest) FLGS. I was actually kinda overwhelmed by the amount of stuff available there, and of course I ended up spending way too much money on new plastic crack -- more on that at a later date, though. For now, let's focus on my Sunday afternoon, as I spent some highly enjoyable time sitting in the garden and putting the finishing touches on Baroness Mandelholtz today. Take a look:

baroness-mandelholtz-wip-17.jpg

baroness-mandelholtz-wip-18.jpg

baroness-mandelholtz-wip-19.jpg

To be fair, the conversion was already mostly finished before, so this was all about the fine tuning, really. I added some vials to the Baroness' back, trying to keep the effect noticeable but subtle:

baroness-mandelholtz-wip-20.jpg

baroness-mandelholtz-wip-21.jpg

baroness-mandelholtz-wip-22.jpg

I also carefully added some cabling here and there, to at least hint at some kind of physical augmentation:

baroness-mandelholtz-wip-23.jpg

baroness-mandelholtz-wip-24.jpg

baroness-mandelholtz-wip-25.jpg

Of course there was the temptation to go farther still, adding weird insectile limbs emerging from beneath her skirts (like the legs you see on the AdMech Tech-Priest Dominus, for instance), but in the end I decided to keep her more human, both to suitably differentiate her from the weirdness of the AdMech models and because it's arguably more fun to make the observer wonder what her body looks like underneath her stately dress.

Anyway, as always, let me know what you think! :)

An excellent conversion that certainly gives a feeling for emotion and theme for the miniature. It certainly cannot be said that Baroness Mandelholtz lacks character. I am in general agreement with you that sometimes less is more, and half of intrigue is mystery. How do you intend to paint her up? Does the ancient house have some heraldry that ties them together?

So creepy! Well done on the subtle effect the vials add. I can immagine it's tempting to do more, but you've managed to make 'less is more' into a conversion skill!! Oh, and I never mentioned it, but the acquila necklace is just plain inspired. It immediately creates a whole background and atmosphere for the miniature. Well done!

Love to see her painted!

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

@ Torbenos: Hmm, figuring out the right colour scheme for her is going to be a challenge: I don't want to go bright and garish with her, something a bit darker seems more appropriate. Then again, the important thing is to not make her look too much like a stereotypical vampire lady. I think I'll start by researching period dresses -- especially from some of Maggie Smith's roles (starting with Gosford Park and Downton Abbey), for fairly obvious reasons ;)

@ Calyptra: I actually had to double check the photos to find the mould line you were talking of, and the best excuse I can offer is that it's virtually invisible if you see the model firsthand, and not blown up to about 400% of its actual size ;)

@ Auggs: Cheers, mate! I'm quite happy that I managed to stop when I did ;)

So in addition to yesterday's kitbash, I also have a new finished model to share with you, as I finally put the finishing touches and completed the base on my yellow underhive killer robot last week ;)

Meet Worker #9, everyone:

worker-9-1.jpg

worker-9-2.jpg

worker-9-3.jpg

worker-9-4.jpg

worker-9-5.jpg

When it came to building and painting the base, I tried to match the muddy, rusty underhive look I had chosen for the rest of the Road Crew.

worker-9-6.jpg

This is such a small detail, but I am actually pretty happy with the faded symbol on the rusty tank I made by combining a couple of old Space Marine decals:

worker-9-7.jpg

So here’s the entire Road Crew so far, complete with its newest member:

the-road-crew-2018-1.jpg

If I have one small regret about the model, it’s that I realised too late that Averland Sunset was a bit different in tone from the Yriel Yellow I had used on the rest of the Road Crew models. Ultimately, however, it’s something I can live with — using yellow spray paint made the experience of painting the big guy much more enjoyable, and the difference in colour could easily be explained away as the robot’s original colour simply being slightly different from the yellow used by the Road Crew.

I am also pleasantly surprised that, given GW's recent hint at something called an "Ambot", there might actually be a fitting ruleset to get this big guy into games of Necromunda at some point -- just sayin'... ;)

So yeah, it seems like, after a couple of years, I was finally able to finish both of those Kastelans I bought, back when the AdMech models were first released:

kataphron-conversions-comparison.jpg

Plus it’s also cool how much mileage I seem to be getting out of that old Forgeworld Dreadnought head I received courtesy of Augustus b'Raass:

worker-9-and-raud-comparison.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

the-road-crew-2018-2.jpg

WORKER #9! That bot looks glorious!

Also, I may have to steal your Baroness build for one of my Black Legion characters. I wonder if those vampire courtesans from the AoS engine they have will mesh well with that elder body.

Hello Kraut.
Big fan of yours. Think I discovered your blog about 5 years ago now and been following you ever since.
Massive admirer of yours, augustus and biohazards.

Its really nice to see the progression you've made over the years (really hope that doesn't sound patronising) with your killer robot, imo, being the jewel In the crown of all your years work.

I really hope that if I can get the hobby up and running again I could possibly throw something together that inspires you as much as you and the guys have inspired me.

Love it. Simple as that.

I actually think the difference in colour tone of the two yellows adds character to the whole gang. 

I'm continually impressed by how much mileage you're getting out of that dreadnought. Speaking of which: what's keeping you from painting that bad boy?????

Thanks a lot, guys! I really appreciate it! :)

@ hushrong: Ohh, I can answer that for you, both because the Baroness actually uses some bitz from those very vampires (I assume you're referring to the Coven Throne vampires, right?), and because I was actually considering using one of their bodies, and only really ended up going with the Yvraine torso as a base because I knew I wanted to graft that hideous crypt ghould back to her -- anyway, to make a long story short: The Coven Throne vampire bodies should work absolutely perfectly with Yvraine's legs!

@ the emperor is scottish: Gee, what a lovely compliment! That is very nice of you to say, mate! :)

@ Bubbles: Steal away, mate! ;)

@ Auggs: Thanks, buddy! As for the Dreadnought, I really want to do him justice, so I'll have to get/convert some proper CC arms for him at some point. I also want to put off painting him until I have figured out a proper new 40k World Eaters recipe, which may have to wait until actual new 40k World Eaters models/rules make an appearance. So, on the one hand, it may take a while. But once I get around to painting him, he will be glorious -- I promise it! :)

@ brettfp: Cheers!

Nice! Thanks for answering that! I've been wanting to make my own aristocrat for awhile and just couldn't find the right bottom half and never thought of Yvraine. I had lady Von Carstein (I am really bad with Vampire names) but lost her. I gave away the Dark Eldar poisonous courtesan lady. So I have just been scratching my head over this.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to be of help, mate! ;)

So, just to prove that I am capable of multitasking: In addition to working on my Chaos Armiger, I have also started painting the next model for Inquisitor Orlant's retinue, the Clockword Assassin. Take a look:

clockwork-assassin-pip-1.jpg

And here's a look at how he matched the overall colour scheme of the group so far:

clockwork-assassin-pip-2.jpg

Makes for a striking group, as you said the blue makes for a different look than many inquisitor bands. I especially like the Inquisitor, is nice to see one that isn't focused upon fighting but rather looks the scholary type.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys! :)

It's a bit weird, to be honest: Back when I started this thread, it was pretty slow to attract comments. Then I went back to updating my World Eaters thread with my converted Chaos Armiger, thinking you guys would be all over that -- and now my INQ28 thread is suddenly getting more reactions -- what gives? ;)

Still, I am not complaining -- and I've had a pretty productive weekend, managing to finish the paintjob for the Clockword Assassin...

clockwork-assassin-pip-5.jpg

clockwork-assassin-pip-6.jpg

...as well as mostly finishing the next member for the warband as well. Meet Alizebeth Selandrine, a voidborn former AdMech vassal who now puts her noospheric dive capabilities to use in Redactor Orlant's retinue (i.e. she's basically the 40k version of a hacker ;) ):

alizebeth-selandrine-pip-1.jpg

alizebeth-selandrine-pip-2.jpg

alizebeth-selandrine-pip-3.jpg

Unfortunately, the bases on these two will have to wait for a bit, as I've run out of Chaos Black spray. Here's another look at the warband as it currently stands, though:

inquisitor-orlant-and-operatives-3.jpg