Been too long since I've commented on this thread; such fantastic work you're doing here. It's incredible how close the models are to their source inspirations and those that aren't direct from the art certainly look like they could have been. The shade of blue used for the latest warband is to die for.

Thanks a lot, guys! :smile.:

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Don't forget that these aren't really built for 'standard 40k', but rather for INQ28, Inquisimunda or what have you -- the characters aren't limited by any kind of existing 40k stat line, but can become whatever they need to be for the game: If they should ever see a gaming table, each should be getting their own custom profile with individual equipment, talents and, if need be, special rules. That's why you only get to use four or five characters per side in a game of INQ28 :wink:

So I was finally able to go out and grab some new Chaos Black spray earlier this week, which allowed me to finally finish the bases for Inquisitor Orlant's newest followers.

First up, Alizebeth Selandrine: Her base turned out to be fairly standard, with the exception of one added detail, a small portable Cogitator:

alizebeth-selandrine-base-wip.jpg

Most of you will probably have picked up on the fact that Alizebeth is a - very - thinly veiled reference to Noomi Rapace's protrayal of literary character Lisbeth Salander from the Millennium series, so this accessory seemed pretty obvious :wink: The fun fact is that the model wasn't originally built to resemble Lisbeth Salander at all (but rather as a homage to Johannus' fantastic "40k punkette"), but after I saw the Swedish Millennium films, I realised that the model I already had was a dead ringer for Lisbeth, plus a character like that would fit into Inquisitor Orlant's retinue really well, so I made some tweaks to make the resemblance even bigger (and also took some cues from the character for the paintjob, to the point where I actually used from a specific costume from the third film for reference:

lisbeth-salander-1.jpg

Anyway, here's the finished model:

=][=

Alizebeth Selandrine

alizebeth-selandrine-5.jpg

Born on the orbital shipyards that hang in the void above the forge world Korhold Ultima, Alizebeth's life was to be spent as a serf to the Tech-Priests of Korhold, although her gift at operating and manipulating machinery marked her out as a candidate for a more exalted position, maybe even for an eventual introduction into the Priesthood. Selandrine shunned that fate, however, falling in with a tech-gang and becoming a nuisance for her masters: The implants she had received as a preparation for her future training allowed her to conduct noospheric dives and manipulate datastreams and machinery from her hiding place deep within the crawlspaces and maintenance tunnels of the orbital installations. That is where Redactor Orlant found her, during his dealings with the distrustful Tech-Lords of Korhold, and he decided to induct her into his retinue.

alizebeth-selandrine-1.jpg

alizebeth-selandrine-2.jpg

alizebeth-selandrine-3.jpg

And a closer look at the base...

alizebeth-selandrine-4.jpg

As for the Clockwork Assassin, I wanted to come up with something a little more elaborate -- and I really needed to, too, because the base was substantially bigger than Alizebeth's. So I decided to pick up the "abandoned library" look yet again. A piece of rubble from the 40k basing kit for large bases formed the start of the design, then I added the remains of torn books on top of that:

clockwork-assassin-base-wip.jpg

I had already tried to use a paper towel to create torn pages on Interrogator Inson's base, but while the end result worked out well enough, the pages were too thin. So I went for a slightly sturdier paper placemat this time around, which ended up working much better.

Here's a look at the finished model:

=][=

The Clockwork Assassin

the-clockwork-assassin-2.jpg

This strange and utterly deadly automaton was engineered by the Tech-Priests of Korhold and given to Redactor Orlant as a gift. Clockwork Assassins are normally used as terror weapons by the paranoid masters of Korhold, but they can also become a much sought-after piece of merchandise. Why exactly the Tech-Lords would choose to present a member of the Emperor's Inquisition with one of these priced weapons remains a mystery at present...

the-clockwork-assassin-1.jpg

the-clockwork-assassin-4.jpg

the-clockwork-assassin-3.jpg

the-clockwork-assassin-5.jpg

the-clockwork-assassin-6.jpg

Again, here's a closer look at the base:

the-clockwork-assassin-7.jpg

And last but not least, here's another family photo of Redactor Orlant's retinue so far:

inquisitor-orlant-and-operatives-7.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Edited by KrautScientist

Why exactly the Tech-Lords would choose to present a member of the Emperor's Inquisition with one of these priced weapons remains a mystery at present...

Were I an Inquisitor, I'd order the clockwork assassin disassembled the moment I'm out of the Tech-Lords' sight, and examined for surveillance devices that may operate without my knowledge, and any codes that would let it act without my approval- to assassinate ME on the Tech-Lords' orders, being one risk I will not accept. If my personal Tech-Priests clear it, then I will reassemble the clockwork assassin and utilize it- though the knowledge my personal Tech-Priests gain from studying the clockwork assassin will be put to use as necessary, e.g., so I can commission the construction of more clockwork assassins, sell the blueprints to raise funds, blackmail the Tech-Lords by threatening to sell the blueprints, know how to destroy a clockwork assassin if one gets sent after me or someone under my protection, etc.

Looking good. The bases just seem to go well with the characters. The cogitator goes will with the hacker and now that you point out the resemblance to the millennium books/movies its a great parallel. I need to watch those movies one day.

As for the assassin I love the ruined book on the base. Something about the clockwork assassin and the pages makes me think of the assassin from the Hellboy movie. Trying to remember if there was a scene where he tore through a library.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! :)

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Haha, that's great thinking, mate! I did spent some time thinking about the Tech-Priests' motivations, and I think there's a narrative threat there that might be fun to explore one day. For now, suffice it to say the Tech-Priests of Korhold have made their creations in a way that defends them against any attempts of disassembly or reverse-engineering: If you get a Clockwork Assassin and want to keep it in working condition, you'll have to live with treating it as a black box, as it were ;)

@ hushrong: You mean the movie version of Kroenen, don't you? That guy was so cool - insofar as a Nazi character can ever really be considered cool, that is - although I felt he drew some pretty heavy inspiration from this guy.

@ grailkeeper: Huh, the rumours of that game were such an awesome surprise, and the degree to which the not-Nurgle models channel the raw spirit of the INQ28 scene is, frankly, quite astounding -- I think the game might be the closest we could ever possibly get to an actual INQ28 game.

@ godeltafoxtrot: Thanks, man! That is such a lovely compliment! Please feel free to leave a link over here, once you've made your move! ;)

@ Sagentus, Krakendoomcool, Markus_ & Brother Pheidias: Cheers, guys! :)

So, in the meantime, I am already hard at work on the next member for my Ordo Scriptorum warband, an autoquill servitor:

autoquill-servitor-pip-1.jpg

autoquill-servitor-pip-2.jpg

A stock model, for once, from one of the old GW Inquisition releases. It makes such a fitting addition to an Ordo Scriptorum warband, however, that I didn't feel the need to tweak it in any way. I did my best with the script on the parchment, though ;)

Lovely work as usual.

The SCriptorum autoquil is perfect indeed! Do you have the others as well??

Hidden Content
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-feF4qjunmy8/UYO9Qd2Y3EI/AAAAAAAAEs4/2vWX9mxfkt4/s1600/AM-Servitors11.jpg

And are you going to add the servo cherub with the script too?  I mean this guy:

Hidden Content
http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics16/img53c256dedf0b7.jpg

Lovely work as usual.

The SCriptorum autoquil is perfect indeed! Do you have the others as well??

Hidden Content
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-feF4qjunmy8/UYO9Qd2Y3EI/AAAAAAAAEs4/2vWX9mxfkt4/s1600/AM-Servitors11.jpg

And are you going to add the servo cherub with the script too? I mean this guy:

Hidden Content
http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics16/img53c256dedf0b7.jpg
Oh good god, that cherub is CREEPY with that paintjob and face :lol:

Hey there, you two -- no fighting on my thread :wink:

@ Auggs: I actually bought that scribe on the left second-hand a while ago. Unfortunately, he came with a miscast face, which neccessitated some impromptu surgery -- he now boasts a dashing augmetic eye (see below) and has been painted for a different project that has not yet taken proper shape. As for the cherubim, I only have the one dragging a bolter, and he serves as a retainer to my truescale Space Marine Janus Auriga:

savant-and-cherub.jpg

There's actually an even cooler cherub carrying a huge book with the =][= symbol on it, although the problem with all those cherubim is that the sculpts are looking pretty dated by modern standards. The little guy on the right is from an exclusive Skullz collector's set, IIRC, and quite hard to get these days. The one OOP model that I actually really regret not having in my collection is the fat scribe guy:

40k-fat-scribe.jpg

He would be perfect for an Ordo Scriptorum warband -- or for any Inquisitorial warband, really! He would also work really well as a retainer for Countess Mandelholtz. Oh well...

Anyway, here's the finished Autoquill Servitor:

autoquill-servitor-1.jpg

autoquill-servitor-2.jpg

As a fun side note, PDH actually uses the same model in his Ordo Scriptorum warband, and it's kinda fun to think that Inquisitor Inson "inherited" the servitor from his master:

inquisitor-inson-and-scribe.jpg

(models built and painted by PDH)

interogator-inson-and-autoquill-servitor

In closing, here's another look at how the warband is coming along:

ordo-scriptorum-warband-2.jpg

Edited by KrautScientist

So here's another small update regarding the Ordo Scriptorum warband: PDH pointed out to me a while ago that the warband should have an Astropath, as many Inquisitors from the Ordo make frequent use of Astropaths to relay information (and secrets) among one another. I also felt this might be a cool opportunity to channel yet another piece of Wayne England artwork I liked. This one:

telekinetics.png

So here's my interpretation. It's not a perfect fit, but I think you'll be able to see a certain resemblance:

ordo-scriptorum-astropath-1.jpg

ordo-scriptorum-astropath-2.jpg

ordo-scriptorum-astropath-4.jpg

ordo-scriptorum-astropath-5.jpg

The process of adding that GS bandage across his eyes actually had me on the verge of a screaming fit, as it just wouldn't stick to the darn face. Really glad it worked out in the end ;)

So here's an angle that matched the artwork a bit more closely:

ordo-scriptorum-astropath-6.jpg

Regarding the overall warband, after this guy, there'll be a masked bodyguad and a member of the Guild of Parchment Scroteners to complete,...

bodyguard-and-parchment-scrotener-2.jpg

...then maybe a servo-skull servitor -- and then the Ordo Scriptorum warband should be finished, after several years of procrastination ;)

Lovely astropath! I'm impressed by the vibe you accomplished with it - the cult body was a great call in getting that creepy vibe of the painting in it, even though the painting doesn't have the body. 

Still, that giant dude is my fave, and I've been looking forward to that guy in particular! I hope he's next :)

Cheers, guys! :)

@ brettfp: The legs are from the WFB/AoS plastic Necromancer. I still had them in my bitzbox, and they seemed a bit more interesting than the Empire flagellant legs  -- the usual go-to robed legs ;)

@ Auggs: Cheers, buddy! Yeah, the torso was really instrumental in getting the model to look right -- the quasi-astronaut look seems pretty fitting for an astropath, but there's also the slight Gigeresque quality about the hybrid torso pieces that added that certain creepiness.

As for the big guys, I might have to keep him for last, as I have yet to work out how I am going to apply the colour scheme to him, which seems trickier than aticipated. Sorry ;)

That's exactly it - the body gigeresque quality makes it creepy. It's pretty obvious now that youé mentioned it, but I can't but think that Giger's alien art must've influenced the modern Genestealer cult sculpts. Great find! 

Haha, I think it would be fair to say that the Alien films basically influenced virtually *everything* about the Genestealers from the beginning -- except for those important peculiarities about the Genestealers' reproductive cycle that allows them to work as a cult infiltrating Imperial society.

But from a design perspective, Tyranids AND Genestealers in particular have always been very obviously influenced by Giger's Xenomorph, while the ribbed hybrid armour recalls the industrial design from the Alien films, if you ask me.