Inquisitors - any good?

Eisenhorn and Greyfax are the best Inquisitors, imo.

Greayfax is cheap, has some nice wargear and good psychic support + leadership aura.

Eisenhorn is even better psychic support and is decent in close combat, also has the the ability to summon a fantastic character (Cherubael) for a small number of points.

Both of them are good for the points and can ride in any Imperium transports so their inclusion in an army is simple.

Are custom built inquisitors any good? competitive at all ???

Generally, I'd say no. Everything they can accomplish can often be done cheaper or better by the parent army. If you're just looking for cheapish psykers, then primaris psykers do the same job for 9 points less and with a better weapon and power selection (unless you're looking for a specific power.) Want that sweet leadership bubble? Well marines typically don't need it or can get it from Chaplains. IG can get it for far, far cheaper from Commissars. The inquisitor can get some pretty neat wargear, but then you've got an expensive model that is still only T3 and with a 4+ armor save. If artificer armor or some invulnerable save were available, perhaps we could make a CC character, but it isn't (for reasons :dry.: )

What do people think of Eisenhorn???

I dig Eisenhorn. He hits a lot harder than other inquisitors (thanks to hit sweet wargear) and is marginally tougher thanks to his 6+ FNP. It isn't enough to make him a dedicated CC character, not by a long shot, but he can do some damage on the charge and the addition of Cherubeal helps a ton. He's also tied as out best offensive psyker with Coteaz, since both can do two psychic powers a turn. All around, he is at least worth his points.

I think all of the special inquisitors are worth it. Karamazov is basically a character dreadnought with special abilities. Coteaz is, arguably, our only CC character since he has his special armor and, wait for the drumroll, ARTIFICER ARMOR. You'd think more inquisitors would invest in personal protection but what do I know. Greyfax gives straight up awesome psychic defense for her points. Rex is our toughest and is pretty great if he is fighting daemons. Even Lok at least comes with some ok gear at a relatively budget price. How good they are is why I actually own every special inquisitor except Lok.

Now, the hidden gem of the inquisitors might be the terminator inquisitor. While expensive, he's great at leading a bunch of scions in their deep strike, has a lot of attacks (whether with hammer or force weapon), and is just about as tough as a T3 character can get. I'm in the middle of converting one of my own since my old model was clearly showing my lack of skill at the time.

lisbrisrogue has a good layout of Inquisitors for now. Just keep in mind the Inquisition codex should be coming out in the next few months. This will likely up-end most of what is good now because right now.. there is just so little information for them and so few rules to work with. I imagine the Inquisition codex is going to be quite lovely and filled with Sisters of Battle, Deathwatch, Grey Knights and Scions. Hopefully these units will get the Inquisition rule as they will be following an inquisitor so they can board any vehicle together and really do one in on the traitors, aliens and daemons.

Really looking forward to it. Love all of the inquisitor models and am hoping to get Eisenhorn for my upcoming birthday. :happy.:

Eisenhorn and Greyfax are the best Inquisitors, imo.

Greayfax is cheap, has some nice wargear and good psychic support + leadership aura.

Eisenhorn is even better psychic support and is decent in close combat, also has the the ability to summon a fantastic character (Cherubael) for a small number of points.

Both of them are good for the points and can ride in any Imperium transports so their inclusion in an army is simple.

Help me understand this in terms of listbuilding.

I just came into a sizeable Inquisition force and am looking for help building lists around it. I also have a ton of Deathwatch infantry and a bunch of Grey Knights Paladins / Terminators.

Let's say I am taking Karamazov as an HQ and looking to build a batallion. What do I do for troops? There aren't any listed in the Index. What do I do with all those henchmen? Are they all Acolytes now? What about transports? Authority of the Inquisition says I can put them in anything, am I able to add it to my detachment and remain battle forged?

Feels like I'm missing something important.

Good question.

If you're looking to form a pure Inquisition or Ordos list, in battalions or brigades, you can't. You're screwed, go home, weep at the dark place unforgiving gods have left you in, and play Eldar (because you have no soul now.)

However, there are no restrictions on Inquisition just playing Imperium. If you're wanting troops or transports, that'll be your likely option. Troops will just come from other factions. Ditto for transports, with the exception of the Land Raider Prometheus (which you have three of, right?)

Basically, a "pure" inquisition force will look like a vanguard detachment with Inquisitors in the HQ slot and acolytes (the aforementioned henchmen) in elite slots. Dedicated transports will come from other factions.

You'll notice there are multiple faction keyword; Inquisition AND imperium

Any Inquisitor can be a HQ for a mixed Imperium army for example, but they can also be takem by themselves as an Auxiliary Choice for a single command point, or - if taking multiple Inquisitors - as an additional supreme command detachment.

Here's an example:

I have a 1900pt Ultramarine army made up of a single Battalion detachment. I spend 1 command point and take Eisenhorn as his own Auxiliary detachment in my army, taking it up to 2000pts. He can hitch a ride in one of my Ultramarine transports.

Good question.

If you're looking to form a pure Inquisition or Ordos list, in battalions or brigades, you can't. You're screwed, go home, weep at the dark place unforgiving gods have left you in, and play Eldar (because you have no soul now.)

However, there are no restrictions on Inquisition just playing Imperium. If you're wanting troops or transports, that'll be your likely option. Troops will just come from other factions. Ditto for transports, with the exception of the Land Raider Prometheus (which you have three of, right?)

Basically, a "pure" inquisition force will look like a vanguard detachment with Inquisitors in the HQ slot and acolytes (the aforementioned henchmen) in elite slots. Dedicated transports will come from other factions.

Hrm.

So I could take an Inquisitor and 6 Acolytes in a Vanguard detachment. Every time someone shoots at the Inquisitor, the Acolytes take the wound instead on a 2+. Each Acolyte has 3 wounds, so that's 18 ablative wounds surrounding the Inquisitor.

Looking at the ppm, that seems very good.

Looking more closely at the Land Raiders, I have 3 Phobos pattern, 3 Crusaders, 2 Redeemers and a Vortimer Redeemer.

I think Acolytes were changed in an FAQ to only have 1 wound.

To answer your questions, you can literally make a Vanguard detachment from an Inquisitor and 3 individual Acolytes.

Are custom built inquisitors any good? competitive at all ???

Generally, I'd say no. Everything they can accomplish can often be done cheaper or better by the parent army. If you're just looking for cheapish psykers, then primaris psykers do the same job for 9 points less and with a better weapon and power selection (unless you're looking for a specific power.) Want that sweet leadership bubble? Well marines typically don't need it or can get it from Chaplains. IG can get it for far, far cheaper from Commissars. The inquisitor can get some pretty neat wargear, but then you've got an expensive model that is still only T3 and with a 4+ armor save. If artificer armor or some invulnerable save were available, perhaps we could make a CC character, but it isn't (for reasons :dry.: )

What do people think of Eisenhorn???

I dig Eisenhorn. He hits a lot harder than other inquisitors (thanks to hit sweet wargear) and is marginally tougher thanks to his 6+ FNP. It isn't enough to make him a dedicated CC character, not by a long shot, but he can do some damage on the charge and the addition of Cherubeal helps a ton. He's also tied as out best offensive psyker with Coteaz, since both can do two psychic powers a turn. All around, he is at least worth his points.

I think all of the special inquisitors are worth it. Karamazov is basically a character dreadnought with special abilities. Coteaz is, arguably, our only CC character since he has his special armor and, wait for the drumroll, ARTIFICER ARMOR. You'd think more inquisitors would invest in personal protection but what do I know. Greyfax gives straight up awesome psychic defense for her points. Rex is our toughest and is pretty great if he is fighting daemons. Even Lok at least comes with some ok gear at a relatively budget price. How good they are is why I actually own every special inquisitor except Lok.

Now, the hidden gem of the inquisitors might be the terminator inquisitor. While expensive, he's great at leading a bunch of scions in their deep strike, has a lot of attacks (whether with hammer or force weapon), and is just about as tough as a T3 character can get. I'm in the middle of converting one of my own since my old model was clearly showing my lack of skill at the time.

I think Karamazov sucks. He's super slow and has no way to be transported or teleported.  So he is never within 12" of enemies to debuff their psychic tests or leadership, and he's the only one of the special Inquisitors not to be able to deny psychic powers (only resist ones cast on him personally).  Hector, Greyfax, Coteaz and Eisenhorn are all solid. They are all Ld10 bubbles with strong psychic denial or additional shenanigans.

I haven't really looked at the Terminator Inquisitor.  I still have an old Gideon Lorr in his blister, shame there are no real useful builds of standard Inquisitors. Hopefully when this whole Imperial sub-range gets a once-over, they at least regain power armor and a refractor field as options.

You'd think more inquisitors would invest in personal protection but what do I know. 

Their faith in the Emperor is their shield.  Unfortunately, unless you're Custodes, that doesn't provide an actual bonus to your saving throw. :D

I think Inquisitors aren't half bad. Granted, I know nothing about the named ones so I can't comment on them. But the basic Inquisitor isn't too terrible, albeit rather squishy. Terminator Inquisitor would definitely be better, if just for the 2+/5++ and deep striking, but he is pretty expensive though. I've got a couple games in with them now. At the very least they're distractions with a good Leadership bubble. Nobody in my local meta ever runs them, and I doubt very many of them have faced off against them. So at the very least (for me anyway), there's an element of surprise to them. Psychic powers aren't too shabby either.

I'm going to be running a supreme command detachment of them in an upcoming Apocalypse game this Saturday. Have 5 of them deep striking in with my Custodes and Sicarian Infiltrators. I think it'll be fun. Not the most effective thing in the world, but at least fun.

I am most looking forward to using one offensively with my Custodes.  I have a 1500 point list of pure Custodes and a 500 pt Vanguard detachment with the 4 assassins, a couple of acolytes, and my inquisitor of choice.  My main move will be to get Hector Rex for the innate deep strike, and get off the terrify power on a unit that will be charged by the real heavy hitters.  No overwatch hurts on units like Castellan bots for instance.  The deny ability on the special inquisitors is also really nice, most having a +1 or at least two denies.  People also forget that other than Ordo Xenos (I am still dumbfounded by this decision) both other ordos get the full re-roll to hit and wound against their Quarry of choice rather than the re-roll 1s.  I run an acolyte squad of 3 with plasma and one or two with a flamer as a nice little objective taker/holder.

To be honest he was lackluster to me in the other editions and I only wanted him for the model.  I got imperial armor 8th when it dropped to see if he and a few other units were worth taking in my Black Templars.  We only have 1 daemon player in our group and most of his kit just didn't mesh well with how I ran my marines.  He just became extremely relevant to my plans due to the Custodes needing denial so badly and his kit meshes very well with how this army list is set up.  

Never forget Vraks though

Inquisitors mechanically are good for being a LD9 Leadership, and level 1 Pysker. And a mediocre counter assault unit with 4 attacks. The closest comparison be an Astropath + RegCommissar which is just over 60 Points. Inquisitors, are good to keep Units in midfield in line, ability to deny Smite. And ward weak bully units that are like Scout, Skitarii or Scion Teir. Because they can 3 of those caliber of models each turn. So yeah

1) Need an LD Bubble

2) Need to protect what your LD Bubbling from Pyschic

3) Want a low teir combat character who can somehow fight fragile bully units without power armor

4) One of the Inquisiton Powers

Acolytes are by extension 8-12 point +1 wound for your inquisitor. One and Two aren’t hard to fill and is the cheapest way to get both of those buffs. It’s just, yeah. That all there is. The named inquisitors often highlight or push one of those three traits. Eisenhorn does three, Greyfax does two, while Coteaz does one, but then adds an interruption rule, while doing two.

Kamarov does three and I don’t know the FW well to say which they fit into. But issue is that a player expects to Inquisitors to be like Greyfax/Coteaz/Eisenhorn, unique characters with unique abilities. And nothing really similar to them. But genetics are well glorified Lord Commissars + Primaris Pyskers.

I love inquisitors, I'm building a grand imperium army that's pulled together from various factions under inquisitors.

Only thing I'm not sure on are acolytes - worth it or not?

I love inquisitors, I'm building a grand imperium army that's pulled together from various factions under inquisitors.

Honestly, probably not, at least not without a specific plan for them. Too many points for what they bring (an IG sergeant, basically.)

As I said a couple posts above. They are 8-12 Points to give an inquisitor more wounds. How helpful is that? Not really at all. Compared to what they compete with Skitarii, and Scions. And IG Veterans/SpecialTeams, and SoB. Just not worth it.

As I said a couple posts above. They are 8-12 Points to give an inquisitor more wounds. How helpful is that? Not really at all. Compared to what they compete with Skitarii, and Scions. And IG Veterans/SpecialTeams, and SoB. Just not worth it.

You take them for psychic defense in an army that lacks it, like custodes. Some of them have extra deny attempts or +1 to deny. Absolutely worth it.

Honestly, probably not, at least not without a specific plan for them. Too many points for what they bring (an IG sergeant, basically.)

I was considering one to fill the last slot in a vanguard, but its an 8 point extra wound for an inquisitor, and Im not sure if its worth risking a free kill point.

Man, this whole subforum is on Hector's **** now, almost nobody had heard of him before a few days ago. Do you guys even Vraks? :tongue.:

My problem with Hector Rex is twofold.

First, he only has 3 attacks. Seriously. The guy who is put forth as this melee, daemon stomping, force sword wielding, kick butt, name taker has less attacks that Inquisitor Joe Nobody. WHAT?!? It's insane.

Secondly, he has Ld 9. Now this isn't as bad as 3 attacks because every generic inquisitor is in the same boat, but Rex is literally known for leading whole battle groups and commanding even Grey Knights in battle. He really should be as good as Greyfax or Coteaz in this regard.

These couple with his hefty price tag just makes me shy away.

Alcolytes have a couple of uses: firstly they can ride in anything an Inquisitor can, which means if you want to run something unusual (like an Inquisitor in a drop pod attached to an Guard army) you can give him bodyguards. With the alcolytes you can get crazy with gearing them up (like, an all plasma unit) but an all Storm Bolter unit pointed at a quarry target (getting rerolls to hit and wound unless you're running them as Xenos then only re-rolling 1s) can put out a decent amount of fire power (5 alcolytes do 20 shots at 12" or less) which can help bring some stuff down.

Lastly Alcolytes can ride in the Inquisitorial Land Raider, which other stuff can't.

And let's not forget there is a "+1 ld to units in 6" of the warlord" warlord trait in the BRB. That pushes an Inquisitor (who is in 6" of himself) to Ld10 or 11 making them better at keeping their meatshields around.

Hector Rex is a strong psyker and the mortal wounds caused by simply hitting a demon is nice, but, as stated, he needs more attacks.

I think Coteaz doesn't get enough credit.  I'd put him above Greyfax (who I like too) for the extra power and he's pretty tough in CC.  His LD 10 is nice for my IG too.

Generics are good and cheap and fill the roll of Commissar and Primaris Psyker with a different group of powers.

Eisenhorn appears to be the best, possibly by far, but I haven't seen him used in a game.

Karamazov and Solomon Lok are the only ones I don't like.

Archived