Starting Tyranids

kalenein

I just started collecting Tyranids as my Xenos army I have been a long time space marine / blood angel player but have finally taken the dive. I had an opportunity to get my hands on one of the old start collecting sets that came with the hive tyrant, gargoyles, and warriors. I also picked up one of the current start collecting sets with the broodlord, geenstealers, and trygon. I was hoping to get some advice on what to collect for bigger bugs, I already know geenstealers are amazing so ill be getting some more of them. I plan on playing Kraken and I like the idea rushing into CC as fast as possible. I am a little leary of carnifexes because they don't have a way to buff there WS without old one eye and crushing claws are -1 to hit, any ideas or work arounds out there?

thanks in advance!

Kraken Carifexes are some of the best! They get the +1 to hit on charges, which you can do every turn with Kraken, and then Old One Eye gives them another +1 to hit within 6", so you should be hitting on 2+ (3+ with CClaws) every turn, not sure what's to be leary about there! Put tusks on them all for +1 attack each turn now too.

I am a little leary of carnifexes because they don't have a way to buff there WS without old one eye and crushing claws are -1 to hit, any ideas or work arounds out there? thanks in advance!

Don't take crushing claws!

Scything talons rerolls 1's, which is essentially a WS buff.

The old and new SCollecting! Boxes are a great start to a Nid army. If you can find a copy of space hulk somwehere, you get a bunch of stealers and also some rgeat terminators for your Blood Angels. Same applies to the DEATHSTORM! Box. Great value to be found in there. 

Thanks for the advice I must have missed that the standard fexes got living battering ram rule so for some reason I didn't think they got it, but they do. I have been assembling the geenstealers from the current box set and oh man they need a lot of cleaning up but there still cool models. I really love the warriors though there like mini hive tyrants it would be sweet to see an entire army of them. I built mine with bone swords and death spitters, I think the -1 to armor is def worth the couple extra points. One question with the Trigon Prime does it get just one extra attack for having 3 sets of massive scything talons or one for each set beyond the first so 2.

Fun fact I had bought the Deathstorm set a long time ago when it came out and practically gave the Tyranids in it away not thinking I might want to collect them someday, oh well my loss.

One question with the Trigon Prime does it get just one extra attack for having 3 sets of massive scything talons or one for each set beyond the first so 2. 

Its only one extra attack, as long as you have more than one pair.

I'm keen to see Old One Eye in action, because he makes all your other Carnifex with Scything Talons hit on a 2+ and re-roll 1s in the turn they charge. And Old One Eye himself hits on 2s on the turn he charges, even with his Crushing Claws.