Contemptor vs. Redemptor

Trying to make a decision here.

The contemptor seems like it's good for getting up close and smashing hard targets or mowing down a horde. The Redemptor seems like it's better for lobbing lead and plasma down range. It's also crazy expensive.

Biggest perk about the redemptor is how convertable it is. Kitbashing is what I like most about the hobby but when I do eventually find someone to play games with, I want to have all of my tactical bases covered.

My list needs more anti-armor/anti-monster capability so I guess that's my biggest tactical objective with this decision. Now that I mention it, I think I also have pretty much zero anti-air capability too. I guess I'm torn between a dread that hangs back and blasts things, or marches up and stomps things.

Edit:  I should say what I already have. I have a venerable dread with all the weapon options. I have assault terminators and regular terminators. And I have one of each heavy weapon option to mix into my crusader squads as needed.

I plan to get a razorback to carry around either a min/max shooty crusader squad or some sternguard or something. 

Edited by +Chaplain Matthias+

How does price factor in? The plastic contemptor kit is pretty woeful, almost no posability and only two weapon options. However, the Relic Contemptor kits from Forgeworld open up a lot more options both for modelling and fighting. But you pay for it...

I went for the Imperial Fists Contemptor, it has a Templar cross on the legs and it seems reasonable that if we had any as a Chapter, they would be re-used IF ones.

How does price factor in? The plastic contemptor kit is pretty woeful, almost no posability and only two weapon options. However, the Relic Contemptor kits from Forgeworld open up a lot more options both for modelling and fighting. But you pay for it...

I went for the Imperial Fists Contemptor, it has a Templar cross on the legs and it seems reasonable that if we had any as a Chapter, they would be re-used IF ones.

I mean it's expensive in terms of points and PL. I only have the codex, I didn't know there were other weapon options from forgeworld. I'll look into it!

i own about 4 contemptors they are awesome and they have lots of options with the fw rules id totally recommend them but the redemptor is an awesome kit and it can deal lots of damage with the right load out plus it can take a beating and keep going id personally go with the contemptor if i had to make a choice but don't buy the gw one its rubbish.

The best options for the Contemptor by far are Forgeworld arms.  That may impact your decision in a number of ways, the most obvious one being the price tag.  As for the Redemptor, the one bit of advice I have is to avoid the Plasma arm, especially if you're really counting on it to fill a gap in your list's capabilities.  The completely random (meaning Dx rather than yDx which guarantees a decent minimum above 1) shot rolls are murder for just about any weapon.

Edited by Firepower

I'd go for a redemptor, they are cheaper $$ wise and have better weapons than the C:SM contemptor. It's also quite durable with 13 wounds and can throw down some lead.  I'd stick to your Venerable as an AT platform as it has BS 2+. Alternatively a Chaplain dread is also great with a LC as it can march up the field and be immune to fire due to being a character and then it can also help troops out in combat. 

If you intend to attack the opponent then the Contemptor is superior. If you intend to sit still and shoot the Redemptor has some good weapons but then you have to ask yourself why pay over 200pts for those weapons when you can get shooting for less?

The 3 wounds extra is interesting. The Contemptor has an invulnerable save which does add to it's value against high AP weapons. Against Autocannons and even Missile Launchers the extra wounds are better but plasma and Lascannons etc sees the invulnerable save superior.

I'm not seeing the problem with the Redemptor plasma arm on my end. It always does what I need it to. That said, I've played a couple of games with it, and it's worked quite well, especially if there's a Techmarine nearby. I'd highly recommend it, personally.

But, as has been said many times so far, if the Contemptor is your choice, then get it through Forge World. I haven't seen many in my gaming circles, so I don't have a well formed opinion on them.

I only have the contempter, so I'll only comment on it.

9" move, 2+ to hit in melee, and 5 inv save tends to terrify everybody that's seen it. The assault cannon is just gravy.

Even my local Dark Angel player started using one because mine chewed up a squad of his bikes quickly.

Go with the Contemptor. Primaris are heresy. HERESY!

agreed, though I don't really consider the Redemptor to be primaris technically(even though it has that keyword) Dreadnoughts are reserved for heroes of the chapter, warriors with centuries of experience. Not these noobs who showed up yesterday straight out of a test tube. :lol:

Personally I just don't like the appearance of contemptors. The redemptor I'm on the fence on... I just like the classic dread really. Ye old box naught.

I like the standard over the appearance of the ironclad and venerable too...

I am sorry, that probably triggered some dread heads...

A Relic Contemptor or Relic Mortis Contemptor are probably the best - they really get a job done.

If you're looking for a survivable Dread the Chaplain is great and can even take the relic armour.