What would you want in future Primaris expansions?

I would actually like to see an ultima founding primaris supplement that could be used with any of the space marine codices.  That way we could get some more fluff on the ultima founding, add some special characters, and a few new units or options to existing ones (plus, maybe even some special units for certain chapters!).  Really, I just want some more flavor and customization to be added to the primaris.  I like the new models, but I just feel that they have too few options to really make them feel unique.  Characters and sergeants especially need options, the lack of customization and weird arbitrary restrictions (I know it got FAQed, but why would they only let dark angels take power swords and blood angels take chainswords!?) is really my only issue with the primaris line.

Do Primaris really need named heroes? They really haven't been around that long and they wouldn't be the first "army" to not have heroes. Plus it would mean that they would have to find ways to cram yet more heroes into the SM codex.

They've been around for 200+ years in the time line at this point. Also, if there are Captains, then there should be the potential for named ones.

Isn't the Blood Angel Lieutenant *named*?

Rik

He is, and so is the DA Primaris Lieutenant.

We definitely need some unique characters - one for each Chapter at least!

I thought they had only been deployed for about 100 years. In even 200 years you have Primaris captains and lieutenants, super cool battle hardened heroes, all you have to do is give yours names. If only a couple centuries is needed to warrant special characters then most armies out there would have far more then they do. Still most seem like they are around what the UM have for special characters rather than what SM have as a whole. Also I can just imagine regular marines asking a Primaris captain whose seen only a couple of centuries of real battle if his parents bought him his rank.

I'm assuming you mean one SC for each original legion. What about a basic SM hero for Iron Hands or ones for the various Chaos legions? You could easily do 5 different Alphariuses in the Alpha Legion alone. Not everything requires named characters with more special rules to complicate things. Most armies certainly don't get them.

Customisation is sorely lacking in 40K at the moment. Rather than a character for each Chapter it would be better if each Captain could have multiple wargear options "Heroic Traits" for a customisable special rule...

In fact most armies should have that. I'm sick of every Adeptus Mechanicus army being lead by Cawl, or Typhus is every army that Mortarian isn't, or Eldrad in every Ulthwé army.

Do Primaris really need named heroes? They really haven't been around that long and they wouldn't be the first "army" to not have heroes. Plus it would mean that they would have to find ways to cram yet more heroes into the SM codex.

They've been around for 200+ years in the time line at this point. Also, if there are Captains, then there should be the potential for named ones.

Isn't the Blood Angel Lieutenant *named*?

Rik

He is, and so is the DA Primaris Lieutenant.

We definitely need some unique characters - one for each Chapter at least!

I thought they had only been deployed for about 100 years. In even 200 years you have Primaris captains and lieutenants, super cool battle hardened heroes, all you have to do is give yours names. If only a couple centuries is needed to warrant special characters then most armies out there would have far more then they do. Still most seem like they are around what the UM have for special characters rather than what SM have as a whole. Also I can just imagine regular marines asking a Primaris captain whose seen only a couple of centuries of real battle if his parents bought him his rank.

I'm assuming you mean one SC for each original legion. What about a basic SM hero for Iron Hands or ones for the various Chaos legions? You could easily do 5 different Alphariuses in the Alpha Legion alone. Not everything requires named characters with more special rules to complicate things. Most armies certainly don't get them.

Blackmane and Sicarius were both less than 200 years old, Telion and Cassius are considered old at over 400, likewise Ulrik and Grimnar at over 500 for Space Wolves, whatever your point was about "Only 200" it has little background in the setting.

Most special characters are based on the tiny snapshot of time that the setting is based on.

Given the scope and scale of Guilliman's crusade named characters who have had a notable impact on the setting are hardly unreasonable.

Rik

I'd like to add that chaos primaris is a must. Since in the long run I don't want to have to truescale every CSM for the rest of my hobaby ye ars.

I'm not sure about this. I'd rather see some sweet, empowered Chosen Marines kit you can use to make different units.

semantics IMO.  truescale Chaos marines.  however we get em.  thats my point.

I personally want things that are unique to Chaos, not more kits that are SM with an extra sprue of spikes to add to it. I'm just pointing out how ridiculous it would be if Chaos suddenly got the cutting edge Primaris stuff but all those land speeders renegades bring in magically disappear.

Well, I'm getting old and I came into this hobby with 3rd ed, after pouring thru borowed copies of a bunch of 2nd ed stuff...

Since 98/99 I've always expected and wanted chaos to have all the generic loyalist stuff but with spikes... and demon faces... since long before I ever had any chaos stuff myself.

They should have crazy stuff too, but that was always equivelent to the crazy loyalist stuff like deathco, and wolven or whatever.

So a chaos primaris equivalent. Whatever it is, actual primaris or not. I Still think they should have just corrected the scale but I'm sure everyone is tired of the primaris fluff debate.

Edited by Canadian_F_H

I suppose... but like I said earlier... I don't want to have to personally truscale all my CSM I'd rather GW do it. :D

Other primaris stuff since I think the chaos stuff might be kinda skirting the topic line but sorta not.

Non gravis jump packers.

Primaris terminators

Really dangerous melee options like power weapons.

Deathwing and raven wing?

Therefore bikers?

Hmm...

I do like that primaris brought plasma back to the fore and knocked grav off of its high horse.

Edited by Canadian_F_H

I don't believe that half of the players hate Primaris. From my experience at tournaments up and down the country, as well as multiple gaming clubs and hobby stores, they have been accepted with open arms and people are hoping for additional releases and re-balances so they become even more attractive to be run on the tabletop.

I don't believe that half of the players hate Primaris. From my experience at tournaments up and down the country, as well as multiple gaming clubs and hobby stores, they have been accepted with open arms and people are hoping for additional releases and re-balances so they become even more attractive to be run on the tabletop.

I believe this is called anecdotal evidence :lol:

I kinda dont want Primaris to have dedicated close combat units. Have them be the sensibile marines that shoot opponents rather than leap over the sturdy barricades to have an honourable duel with a space magic infused monster or subhuman xenos witch. Use it as a point to have internal clashes within chapters that put emphasis on CC.

Not saying never do it, it might make more sense to get a knife out when hunting Orks through a ruined hab block, but they dont dedicate themselves like we have Vanguard Veterans and Assault Terminators in more traditional chapters.

I believe this is called anecdotal evidence :lol:

As is the opinion of people that Primaris are hated by large portions of the community. The sales certainly indicate they are popular.

Yep that is also true. I know some people like them and some people don't, but I have no idea who is in the majority.

As for sales, I don't think there is any public data available on sales specifically of Primaris models so all comments on that would be speculation.

Primaris probably HAVE sold well but we just don't know.

Anyway that is offtopic.

Primaris Space Marines... what are they missing and where are they heading?

That is probably the key thing. With Classic Marines alongside them, Primaris don't need any new models really. If Primaris Chapters get their own Codex then yes we can reasonably see new stuff required.

As is the opinion of people that Primaris are hated by large portions of the community. The sales certainly indicate they are popular.

Wooh boy almost started a warp storm there. Sorry guys it was just a joke. I’ll use more smiley faces or something next time. It would be insane not to expect a Chaos model line equivalent to Primaris at some point. Should be interesting to see if the storyline for it upsets the fluff monsters (the vocal “half”) as much as the Loyalist release did.

I remember reading GW stock has really improved in the last year with 8th edition and I’m sure Primaris is a large part of that success. I hope so at least or we won’t see future releases ... like heavy weapon Grav-bikes :D

Now that I think about that’ll probably be a while. Custodes have claimed that unit for the moment and I keep thinking we should be wishlisting less and planning for high probability units more. The Techmarine is a no-brainer but what else is the most likely? I don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars filling a niche in the army only to have its Primaris equivilant show up this Christmas.

I think a lot of people want to see a combat unit for them but you have to think about what role they could fulfill without invalidating others. Look to the past but also to the future with what it could be. A close combat tarpit unit could be a good idea, Guilliman and Cawl harking back to breacher squads - sword and board style with power weapons or something funkier, and perhaps a shield that is different to combat and storm Shields - Cawl has been playing around with repulsor technology so maybe the Shields have some kind of mag- or gravity- pulse generator that stuns or removes enemy attacks? That would be pretty cool in my eyes.