Dread05's WIP (v. 2.0) (Sanguinary Priest progress)

dread05

Behold the golden host !

My Sanguinary Ancient. I had him primed and shaded, then I broke the figure by mistake and had to rebuild him from scratch. Ouch. In his first iteration he had a death mask, but the second time I decided to go without to give him more character (around that time I decided I wanted my characters to go bare headed). He has a power fist and an agelus bolt gun.

JBsbb4y.jpg

My first squad of 4 guards. They are primed with retributor gold and then shaded with agrax earthshade. Initially I was gonna go with 2 angelus boltguns, 2 pistols, but then decided to go all boltguns. The right figure was supposed to have a shooting pose, but I made a mess with the glue and had to cover it up with the shoulderpad. They have 2 swords and 2 axes. Does that sword look bent? I really cant tell.

69PkNsI.jpg

My second squad of 4 guards. I made these ones with 4 plasma pistols, 2 swords 1 axe 1 fist. I had trouble priming them, the weather was really humid and the spray made a mess, had to paint strip 3 of them and reprimed them just yesterday. You cant tell, but the same sworld looks bent again.

cDLjv6d.jpg

This one is technically not from the golden host, but you could say he's a priest seconded to the guard. He was the first single model I bought and I was really nervous converting him. First I broke the little chain that's between his legs, but luckily it was a clean break and I glued it back to place. Secondly I realised I couldnt attach the wings to anything since the priest model didnt have those small knobs the guard torso's have. I made do with little pieces of plastic randomly glued between the jump pack and the body. Then I realised I had glued them the wrong way! I in the end everyting worked out. I gave him a plasma pistol and decided to paint him in the colours of the guard. It really intimidates me to paint him, but I started working on it. I like to think that the small chalice he wears as a necklace is his bood chalice.

NNXo5qP.jpg

I've been thinking a lot lately about "correcting" the bad gun poses on some of my first models. Some of them are very unatural, and make the model awkward. What's your opinion on that? Would you ever go back on finished model and mess with it? To correct my poses I would have to paint strip the models, then break the arms and guns, glue new ones, and then repaint. I feel like I should leave them alone, but my ocd is kicking like crazy when Im looking at them.

I've been thinking a lot lately about "correcting" the bad gun poses on some of my first models. Some of them are very unatural, and make the model awkward. What's your opinion on that? Would you ever go back on finished model and mess with it? To correct my poses I would have to paint strip the models, then break the arms and guns, glue new ones, and then repaint. I feel like I should leave them alone, but my ocd is kicking like crazy when Im looking at them.

I think I'd rather buy a new box and do it properly this time. It's really annoying to cut a finished model apart, try to fix it and fix the paintjob (or strip and re-paint completely even).

Oh I did that. If you check the previous page the second tactical squad with flamers is the first made proper. But still, I dont want to throw away the other models :tongue.:

Edited by dread05

Something else I could do is try to remove the heads only, and glue them in a position that matches the guns. Maybe use a pair of pliers and wrap the heads with some cloth as to not damage the paint? Maybe it could work.

I would say use either a thin knife or small screwdriver and try to wedge it under the head at the neck area and pop it off. This also depends on how much of what kind of glue you use.

Well I've been busy. I ended up ripping the heads off (and some other parts I wasnt happy about), ane replaced them with new ones. It was a bummer I had to remove heads with eyes painted on them, but in the end I think it was worth it. The poses look much more natural now, and with these 3 fixed, the squad is decent again.

BmhsffI.jpg

Edit : Slight change to the sergeant's shoulder, that one was too big and was messing with the backpack.

PVil3Am.jpg

What do you thing?

Edited by dread05

BCATEO3.jpg

old image for comparison. The sarge on the middle, the flamer to his right and the one behind him on the left. Their weapons had those weird angles, like they were aimed somewhere, but their heads were looking straight ahead. This happened cause I initially had a different load out on them, and then decided to change their weapons, but the heads were already in place, and since it was my very first kit, I didnt have spare heads to swap them aswell.

Edited by dread05

I think they're coming along nicely. Only eyes missing and a couple of edge hightlights on metalic parts and the purity seal. Even thought I think I can paint better now, I tried to match the rest of the squad and painted with the old colours.

KnDqemj.jpg

My first terminators! Glory to the Archangels!

Captain Karlaen has his standard loadout, storm bolter and thunder hammer. Basically, as he came in the box.

iWT8xfl.png

Sergeant Gideon from space hulk will act as a sergeant for a terminator assault squad with thunter hummers and storm shields, where I will use one of the models of the kit to build an ancient. 

n0kHckG.jpg

This was the very first time I built terminators, and I must say I fell in love with them. Their size, their weight, everything stands just right in my hands. I can predict many many more terminators to come. I kinda want to order the assault kit right now, but I've promised myself I'll see at least half my army red before I buy new models :P

I've checked my own Gideon for that nub on little shield, you've been concerned about. Minne has it exactly the same, so it's just the way it was cast. I do also share the love for the TDA. A real pity that current edition has our 1st Company Veterans wearing it so overpriced for what they actually bring into the tabletop. Unless of course we pay premium for the looks and feel, which then is quite appropriate ;)

haha I think had confused everyone with that question :tongue.: Taking a close look to both models, Karlaen's is much more detailed (figures, we are talking about 40k mini vs board game mini), but what Gideon lacks in detail, he gains in iconography! All in all, I think im very happy with purchasing him to act as a 5th member of a squad.

Edited by dread05

Captain Smash coming into life.

2q7bXLy.jpg

I got the body of the chaplain from ebay, it came only with the weapons, no head, no shoulderpads, no jump pack. I had to be really carefull to remove the crozius and the inferno pistol from the arms. Then I cut the thunder hammer from the assault squad and glued it into place. The inferno pistol is from the tactical marines. I wanted a crazy looking face for him, since in my chapter lore, he's an old captain suffering from the death visions of Sanguinius, kept in stasis until needed. I still havent glued the head on tho, its there with blue tac. I'll use on him a sanguinary guard jump pack without the wings, sadly normal jump packs dont fit on this body. I think I want to paint him half black half red, to go  with the duality of the sculpt of his armor, not sure yet about that.

• 2 weeks later...

As I mentioned in the BA today post, today I got the Gauntlet tactical squad box for a bargain. Basicaly I paid 36 euros  for a tactical squad that sells for 32 on the GW site and a Rhino that sells for 28. You could say I got a Rhino for free. The thing is, I didnt really need another tactical squad, nor a Rhino.

The Rhino I will just build as a normal Rhino, I'll add some BA iconography on it, and I'll just turn it into a Razorback as soon as I find (or decide for that matter between las/plas or twin assault) a turret.

The tacticals, I decided to turn into two squads of five. The first one was easy. It will be a footslogging assault squad with two metla guns, an inferno pistol and a power fist. I know thunder hammers are better, but I just like the looks of the BA fists. Also, I'll probably build a flying assault squad in the near future with melta, and I want some variety. For the sergeant, I'm planning to use the set of legs with the big scroll hanging from the waist, plus the sergeant chest piece from an assault squad. One of the marines will be a beakie with an (almost full) mark VI power armor.

Now for the juice. The other five marines, I will turn into Sternguard veterans. Tho will have heavy bolters, and the rest the special issue botlguns. I'm planning to use:

- A heavy bolter from the BA tactical box, and a heavy bolter from the sternguard box.

- For the special issue bolters 3 bolters from the tactical kit, 2 with ropes as they are the more ornate ones, and the one with the strap for the sergeant. All will have scopes.

- The three more ornate backpacks from the tactical squad, the one with the halo, the one with the chalice and the one for the sergeant. On the sergeant's pack I'll probably add some ornament on top.

- 2 helmets from the sanguinary guard, the one with the spikes and the one with the small crest, plus the two helmets from the BA upgrade sprue. The sergeant will have a bare head with a scoping device from the tactical kit, I've decided all my sergeants in the first company to be bare headed.

- Five shoulderpads with the crux terminatus from the vanguard veterans kit for the right shoulder, plus shoulderpads with BA iconography from the tactical kit and/or the upgrade sprue for the left shoulder.

- Two sets of legs from the tactical squad with loincloths, two sets of legs from the sternguard kit, plus the sculpted sergeant legs from the tactical kit.

- The sculpted chest with loincloth from the tactical kit for the sergeant, 2 sculpted chests from the upgrade spure, plus two ornate ones from the tactical kit, the ones without the aquila.

- The sergeant will not trade his bolt pistol for a melee weapon, and on his left hand he will be holding an auspex.

All in all, I think I will manage to make this squad ornate enough to pass like real sternguard. I'd love to hear any suggestions!

Yesterday I finished building my Terminator Ancient.

I chose to build him with a thunder hammer just because its looks very cool. Both the body and the hammer are supposed to be for the sergeant of the squad, but since I'm using Gideon from Space Hulk as the sergeant for my TDA assault squad, I decided to use the more ornate parts available for the ancient. Everything I used was from the BA assault terminators kit except from the winged skull on the top that was from the BA upgrade sprue.

8zdFseg.jpg

Even tho the terminator kit is amazing in detail, I found out that it leaves a very narrow space for customizing the minis. Only 5 different shoulderpads,  the heads come attached to the bodies and you kinda have to build them as shown on the box or else the poses will look very unnatural. Something I struggled with is just because of what I said earlier, the banner is supposed to be used with a certain pair of legs. I used it on the body that is meant for the sergeant, that is kinda squating, and I ended up with a banner much longer than the feet, that I had trouble gluing at the base. In the end I dug a small hole with my hobby knife at the base, which ended up looking like the ancient had planted the banner at the ground!

Looking good! I agree completely on the customization options available for this kit and squat poses. A tad disappointing. Still lots of nice bits and overall, the models are very cool. 
I have also used the Sergeant body as a possible Ancient (he is magnetized, so can revert back to Sergeant) and opted for a higher ground scenic base to give him some more appropriate presence on the battlefield. 

Edit: I didn't encounter the problem with the too-long pole. Maybe I used different hand or positioned it higher somehow. Still an idea with a hole in the base is nice. I picture the Ancient planting the banner into the ground, saying: "I claim this planet in the name of the Emperor!" :biggrin.:
Also gives it some additional stability.

Edited by Majkhel

Ye you're right about the stability, I glued the pole also. The hole isnt big, its just the size a real iron pole would cause if you would plant it on sand. (Which I plan to base them with).

What he's shouting is "For the Emperor and Sanguinius! GLORY TO THE ARCHANGELS!" :p